• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 900 AND 2006 900/700.... Read Before you Buy

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Hockey..

thats quite a bit of money for that old of a sled..regardless if it is used or not..i personally would spend near the same amount of money you are now and get maybe an 07 RMK 700, or an 800 RMK...

dont be afraid to buy used as long as the owner knows what he is talking about, or you have someone who does know about them go with you and check it..

if it were significally lower in price..i would go for it..but not for that much and the amount you will need to spend to make it the way it already should have been..

IMHO

W
Dec 29, 2008
05 rmk 900

new to the forums and new to the 900 have heard alot about the cranks on these engines what happens with them? bearings or breaking? anyway to avoid the problem? the sled i bought has 1700 miles slp pipe and can timber line intake

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
WOOOOOOOO, first post here:beer;:):face-icon-small-hap....after scanning this site for a few years I man'd up and signed on. I am a Canuck and bought my 06'Switcher 900 2 years ago in Minnesota, I paid $6050 out the door including the SLP torque stops and 3 year warranty that us Candians don't get-but I have family down thar in the US of A that I used on the bill of sale so if anything catastrophic happens I'll need to take it Minot or somewhere close for the repair. Knock on wood I have had ZERO issues, totally stock, original 1080 belt, only 850 miles on machine though. I also don't drive the chit out of her either though, it's only touched the bars a couple times, that's why i wanted the big twin as i knew i wouldn't have to abuse it to get where i wanted to go.
The only mod's I'm planning this year are a set of boards (there are a couple good brands out there), fat a$$ springs (i'm a lite 250, naked), some possible venting. I just purchaed an enclosed Equinox 685 sleigh so need the tractor like power to tug this thing around all winter.
So far so good...AWESOME SITE, AWESOME INFO, AWESOME PEOPLE,
$10 US or $10.50 Canadian comin' your way when required........

R
Nov 20, 2009
Just bought...

Came across a smokin' deal I think, $3000.00 for a big 900.
It has 746 MILES and 28.6 hrs. on it. Cover, 196 studs, and the 3 little carts to move around the floor easy!

Since I bought it I've check with the dealer that it was taged with and they brought it up on their puter to compare stickers under the hood on the airbox. All updates are done except 1 and that would be the chain case cover update. (no big deal they said they would do it while I wait)

I think after reading a "ba-zillion" words on the thumper I came to do these personal updates;

DynoPort pipe and "Y", & can.
Dynoport clutch kit.
VForce3 reeds (do to the fact of cracked intake boots, why not?)
Fire-N-Ice intake and clutch gaurd
had a 080 on it and a 115 spare.after reading got rid of the 080.
SLP torque push/pull set up
Fire-N-Ice hot air elininator kit

No signs of any abuse to the sled or pistons when I took the boots off.
It seems heathy, I live in Michigan (Detroit area) I'll be going to North Mich. and the U.P. also.
I think I have it all from what I've read....any thing I might have missed?

Thanx a sheet load for all the info!

Jeff

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Came across a smokin' deal I think, $3000.00 for a big 900.
It has 746 MILES and 28.6 hrs. on it. Cover, 196 studs, and the 3 little carts to move around the floor easy!

Since I bought it I've check with the dealer that it was taged with and they brought it up on their puter to compare stickers under the hood on the airbox. All updates are done except 1 and that would be the chain case cover update. (no big deal they said they would do it while I wait)

I think after reading a "ba-zillion" words on the thumper I came to do these personal updates;

DynoPort pipe and "Y", & can.
Dynoport clutch kit.
VForce3 reeds (do to the fact of cracked intake boots, why not?)
Fire-N-Ice intake and clutch gaurd
had a 080 on it and a 115 spare.after reading got rid of the 080.
SLP torque push/pull set up
Fire-N-Ice hot air elininator kit

No signs of any abuse to the sled or pistons when I took the boots off.
It seems heathy, I live in Michigan (Detroit area) I'll be going to North Mich. and the U.P. also.
I think I have it all from what I've read....any thing I might have missed?

Thanx a sheet load for all the info!

Jeff

DO NOT use V-Force reeds...its a worthless $200-300 part..and they are no better performance wise then stock..

plus if you use VF3 reeds, you must hack up the new throttle body boots to fit them..not worth it..

spend the money on suspension if you have it

--do a search on here for compfusion motor mounts, well worth the money
--get the Fatboyzfrenchy throttle/oiler cable..do a search for that as well
--check/adjust your TPS, refer to sticky on 900 page
--MORE venting
--Zbroz or Holz spindles

keep reading..your on the right track for sure..

just make sure your clutch is balance (A MUST), and shimmed for the 115 belt

R
Nov 20, 2009
DO NOT use V-Force reeds...its a worthless $200-300 part..and they are no better performance wise then stock..

plus if you use VF3 reeds, you must hack up the new throttle body boots to fit them..not worth it..

spend the money on suspension if you have it

--do a search on here for compfusion motor mounts, well worth the money
--get the Fatboyzfrenchy throttle/oiler cable..do a search for that as well
--check/adjust your TPS, refer to sticky on 900 page
--MORE venting
--Zbroz or Holz spindles

keep reading..your on the right track for sure..

just make sure your clutch is balance (A MUST), and shimmed for the 115 belt
Thanx, I will put the mounts on just didn't want to rip apart that for the first winter (it'll be a summer project)
The cable I've cleaned and inspected extreemly well and all is good, it was alittle "clutchy dusty" but some break kleen and air fixed her right up, hence same summer project. I will just keep it clean after every ride alittle work but I'm prepared.
TPS will be getting checked before the white stuff falls!
I ordered the F-N-I vent kit for the wells and side panels I bought the big ones.
VForce reeds were already bought and put on along with "fitiment" too! What a beotch! I find out after I did all that, well atleast the boots are good now.
Clutch... will get balanced!
1 thing that I over looked and caught lastnight was the oil tank level, it was above the big hose by about 2 inches. No fill lines or nuttin'! What was Poo thinkin'? I remember reading to make sure it's below and that was fixed right away just hope no premature seals are damaged. I am a wrench to a certain point, I have a Harley and a 64 chevy hot rod truck and a f-350 mud bogger with 14 inches of lift. The 900 just inticed me and I'm up for the chalange!
Spindles..I'll left the horse beat me up for 1 year first, then fix that issue!
Thanx once again for the help! I am not going to let a machine get the best of me!

Last edited:
C
Nov 30, 2009
900 Polaris stator & tps plug in

Hi I need some advice on my 900 In Snowy range over thanksgiving the last day it developed a dead spot off slow speeds & my parter said my headlamp was going on & off. the check engine light also flickers on & off. My buddy had a problem similar to his & it was the stater. I also had a similar problem & my tps wire was broken above the tps. Does it sound like my stator is bad, it was put in new at about 50 miles. & where can I get a new tps plug in. thanks Kurt

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Hi I need some advice on my 900 In Snowy range over thanksgiving the last day it developed a dead spot off slow speeds & my parter said my headlamp was going on & off. the check engine light also flickers on & off. My buddy had a problem similar to his & it was the stater. I also had a similar problem & my tps wire was broken above the tps. Does it sound like my stator is bad, it was put in new at about 50 miles. & where can I get a new tps plug in. thanks Kurt

tp repair harness connector number 2203165

that is the polaris number you can order them at any polaris dealer. your problem sounds like a stator or main relay problem you may need to take to dealer to get the codes read.

F
May 16, 2009
Polaris: 06' 700 rmk

Any of you fellers swapped out your spindles with newer ones 07' and newer, (06' to 07' or newer) what other mods did you have to do? Did you have to change a-arms as well? And did this make them steer easier? Front seems heavey with stock.

B

burried

Dec 22, 2007
900 owner read this!!!

I have done everything possible on my 05 900, including nitrous, clutching, vents,v3, airbox,motor mounts, slp complete kit, etc. a very must left hand throttle. do NOT buy a 900 polaris!!!! if you already bought one, i dunno what to say!!!! I absolutely hate that sled that i still own that i cant get rid of!!! any other 800 out there ( cat,doo,dragon) is a very very big upgrade!!

900 for sale 1900 miles located in kamloops!!

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Any of you fellers swapped out your spindles with newer ones 07' and newer, (06' to 07' or newer) what other mods did you have to do? Did you have to change a-arms as well? And did this make them steer easier? Front seems heavey with stock.

I've heard that it improves steering greatly (spindles). I'm going to do Fox Floats 2 and the Holz stuff linked below. Mods I've done or were done before I bought it are in my sig. I love this sled

A-Arms:
http://www.holzracingproducts.com/s...arm-kit-2005-09-iq-rmk-br-not-09-dragon-p-325
Spindles:
http://www.holzracingproducts.com/s...r-spindles-br-new-improvements-for-2009-p-519

Last edited:
C
Nov 24, 2009
Grantsville, Utah
Good advice Dude, I have an 05 151 and I love it. No belt problems, clutch alignment problems, only had to rebuild a noisey primary and now a second water pump, however there's 2900 miles on it. Track is holding up well and have only had to replace the hyfax once and haven't even hardly scratched the carbides. It has survived being rolled over 7 times and all the parts just went back into place and it only took 15 minutes to do so. I've thought of replacing the sled with something smaller for my wife but as you say the resale is a little weak. My experience has been a great sled with the typical gremlins that show themselves on occasion.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
HELP needed

So a buddy of mine has bought an 05 with a bad crank and piston. They were replaced and now it is back together but will only idle.

Does anyone know what would cause it to die out when pushing the throttle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
m

T
Jan 10, 2008
top for this one what a great post ive had to work on a couple of these for other guys check 05 for rot on the bottom of computer seen one fail for this i ride a 910 c/c and a buddy has a 06 975 c/c cant complain about his usual problems by the way its for sale if anyone is interested pm me 910 not for sale

V
Feb 10, 2005
Primghar, Iowa

my buddy and i are working on a 755 rmk, the guy wants more power so far it has a can, we want to put the 900 top end on it, but we want to get rid of the vibration has anyone balanced the crank in these before? from what ive been reading you guys balance the clutch, does that get rid of some vibration or is that just for the belt issue? what are the best performance mods for this sled? thanks

Last edited:
G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
You can use 900 jugs, pistons, and ECU flash to get more power. I think a crank from IndyDan via Indy Specialties would be ultimate. Clutch balancing can help with vibes but not always the issue. Balancing is good for minimul wear on the crank due to a sloppy and off-kilter clutch. Performance can be had by getting a SLP Pipe set or Full Dynoport exhaust, I have heard good from both. I have SLP pipe with MBRP and its loud but nice. Stay away from reeds with this motor and get an FNI Intake if you can afford to. After that and getting some spot on clutching, people are very happy with these sleds.

Read all the stickies up at the top and you can learn a lot.

Oh and before you go perf. crazy, get a set of compfusion mounts, FBF cable, Rider-select delete, and maybe do a RAD delete

hi mule

Hi mule,, just read your 12/08 post on the 900,,,, just wondering if it's till running for you... Any troubles ? how many miles ?

I just bought an 05 900 with 1,200 miles on it... Like it allot.
Just curious on a long time owner like your self,, maybe i can learn what to look for from you.

yep, sorta had an idea what I was getting into with my '06 900.

Few things I disagree with...

-Belts. I blew my first 080 the 2nd ride out. This belt came with the sled, so I don't know what kind of abuse the previous owner put it through. My first ride was pretty hard on it, came off and went on a few times when the sled died (Bad fuel). 2nd ride, 1/4mi from the trucks on the way back, right on the trail, the thing shredded. Put on the spare 080 and ran that the rest of the season without problems. I'm now running the 44x4640 Gates belt (About half the price of the 080) and it seems to pull pretty well. I've put on about 150mi this season already.

-Airbox. The stock one's not *bad*, but there is a lot of plastic there. I'm still using it.

And for the absolute musts:
-Front radiator. I should have done that last season, took about 2hrs to yank out. Well worth it (Cheap kit too).

-Skis: I put Simmons on mine, feels like power steering. Sway bar came out too, that helped with being able to pull it over. Doesn't drive like a tank now, but it takes some getting used to on the trails. Much more tippy.

-Electrical: Haven't ran into too much with it, but this summer I did pull new wires on the TPS. Good connector, cheap wire. Conductor pulled right off the pin.

-Weight. Yeah, they're heavy. And they don't get lighter when the track's full of snow.

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the 900s; especially if you've got some mechanical ability. I love mine, and i'll be riding it for a while.

Premium Features