• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Offset spindles and narrow front end

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Anyone tried the aftermarket narrow front ends (zbroz, kmod, or alternative impact) with the Zollinger offset spindles.
Thoughts? It's been a slow day and I have been looking at parts all afternoon.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
IMHO, that would be too narrow. You'd likely panel out on a lot of hills. Plus, it would be extremely tippy. The stock Axys is as tippy as a 36" Pro-Ride chassis. Not referring to you, but if a guy needs less than 36", he probably just needs a lesson on throttle control.

I've got offset spindles on for next season, which I think will be just perfect. A bit narrower with the ability to pick up a last minute replacement stock arm at the local dealer.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Hard to say without riding it. I ran the MOUNTAINSIDE PRODUCTS offset spindles on 39” arms and noticed if I put the skis in the narrowest position, the balance point was a lot narrower. It made the sled harder to control on edge, slow speed, steep side hill, through trees. It didn’t feel as precise.... if that makes sense.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
we set up all of our personal sleds and the majority of our customers with zborz 36" kit and ZRP offset spindles. You will not panel out with this set up. it works amazing and takes the chassis to a whole new level of nimbleness in the trees. The offset spindles make the sled handle better as well over the 36" kit by itself.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Just received my 36" Zbroz kit and spindles to put on a 2018 Axys. If I ignore the obvious motor change (800--> 850) the only thing I see really different between the 2018 and 2019's is the drop to a 37" front end. No change to the side panels or basic geometry ...... I had wondered about doing this anyway, but when the factory does it across the board, I'm take that as a sign that this could be a very good thing !

*** Not saying the factory(ies) always make(s) the best changes for my riding style and skill level, but this comes true much more often than not.

Seeing pics of the first snow near Jackson really flipped the "I can't wait for winter" switch in me. A daily dose of YouTube riding video's is now standard practice. :face-icon-small-hap

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
For those going with the 36" arms vs. offset spindles keep in mind the geometry of the shocks will now be shorter and will handle differently. That's one big difference with the new 2019 stock narrow front ends... the shocks will be designed to work with the narrower front ends on the 19's. That's why on my 2018 I just went with the offset spindles for a narrower deal. The shocks then were at the manufacture dimensions etc. Just my 2 cents...

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
For those going with the 36" arms vs. offset spindles keep in mind the geometry of the shocks will now be shorter and will handle differently. That's one big difference with the new 2019 stock narrow front ends... the shocks will be designed to work with the narrower front ends on the 19's. That's why on my 2018 I just went with the offset spindles for a narrower deal. The shocks then were at the manufacture dimensions etc. Just my 2 cents...
That’s eaisy enough to solve though, just adjust them or have them revalved or swap them if you don’t like they way they feel through their travel. I had already swapped to float 3’s before I put the 36” front end on. I ended up 6 or 8 psi lighter by the time I found the sweet spot again.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
After talking to Zbroz - the 36" arm kit will take the stock shocks - physically. Yes, there may be need to re-adjust valving in order to account for a slightly different shock angle, and slightly shorter (1/2" less ?) length at full extension.

Tried to get the offset spindles with the 1" offset .... no longer available. At least not on the Zbros website and not offered when I called and asked specifically about them. AS of last spring, they were still there. They point out that you can get an added 3/8" offset per side on the "standard" Zbros spindles.

For now, the 36" set up will be just fine. In fact probably going to spend the first day tipping over anyway - until I get used to them ;-)

Last edited:
D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
After talking to Zbroz - the 36" arm kit will take the stock shocks - physically. Yes, there may be need to re-adjust valving in order to account for a slightly different shock angle, and slightly shorter (1/2" less ?) length at full extension.

Tried to get the offset spindles with the 1" offset .... no longer available. At least not on the Zbros website and not offered when I called and asked specifically about them. AS of last spring, they were still there. They point out that you can get an added 3/8" offset per side on the "standard" Zbros spindles.

For now, the 36" set up will be just fine. In fact probably going to spend the first day tipping over anyway - until I get used to them ;-)

It's not Zbros that has the offset spindle it Zolinger Racing Products. Weblink at https://www.zollingerracingproducts.com/shop-our-store/polaris-1-inch-offset-spindle

Why mess with the stock shaft length and valving if you don't have to. The offset spindles leave your shock geometry and valving where they were designed to be. Offset spindles are a no brainer IMO, but whatever :)

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I thought they were one in the same. Both in Logan, UT, but different address. Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
It's not Zbros that has the offset spindle it Zolinger Racing Products. Weblink at https://www.zollingerracingproducts.com/shop-our-store/polaris-1-inch-offset-spindle

Why mess with the stock shaft length and valving if you don't have to. The offset spindles leave your shock geometry and valving where they were designed to be. Offset spindles are a no brainer IMO, but whatever :)
It doesn’t matter how you do it, if you change the stance you change the point of leverage on the front end changing where the shock is in its stroke. For whatever set up you have it’s worth dialing it in.

chawks

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2014
Breckenridge CO
New Skinz Burandt Free Flow

Just saw the new front end on Sled Solutions site. Anyone know more about it?
If it handles like the '19s then it will be sweet. Plus you can use your 18 shock length with one version. Add the running boards and you have a whole new set up.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Food for thought I'm not a huge fan of the offset spindles, my stock spindles were gouged up big time on each side from rocks and such, the offset spindles would stick out even more and when sidehilling they put more stress on the spindle to possibly bend. I have the regular non offset zollinger spindles on my axys and i even bent one last winter. Those spindles are bolted up to 37" Raptor a arms though so im already narrowed up...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Food for thought I'm not a huge fan of the offset spindles, my stock spindles were gouged up big time on each side from rocks and such, the offset spindles would stick out even more and when sidehilling they put more stress on the spindle to possibly bend. I have the regular non offset zollinger spindles on my axys and i even bent one last winter. Those spindles are bolted up to 37" Raptor a arms though so im already narrowed up...

This is a non-issue. Most aftermarket spindles are much stronger than the stock as they are machined rather than cast or extruded. Also with 1" offset many guys run them in the center position and in that position there is plenty of ski sticking past the spindle to protect them. I bet you have not tried them before formulating your opinion. Full suspension travel, 20 minute install, no shock changes, better ski rubber life in the center position, lower cost than buying new a-arms, stock arm replacements are easier to find etc. The Pro list is way greater than con list.

Last edited:
Premium Features