• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cold starts are killing me...

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
So, just wondering if I need to clean/adjust the carbs or something. Ever since I got my sled, she hates starting cold. I can pull all day long (ok, 10-15 minutes and I'm beat) and nothing. It's like trying to pull start my Harley.

I hate spraying anything into the jugs... because I haven't gone out to find an oil mix for spray starting.

BUT... if I slap a hair dryer under the hood for 10-15 minutes, she'll start right up. Runs great once I'm out and starts up on the hills just fine. Can stop, have a smoke, chill out and enjoy the view... 1 pull and she's ready to rock, no big deal.

It's that first start of the morning though... just kills me. If I want it to start when I get to the trails, I'm afraid to even try without warming it up at home before I head out anywhere.

Anyone else have this problem with the old carbed setup?
(sled details in sig)

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
One trick I learned and have shared before is to kill the engine with the choke the night before the last start up. It adds extra fuel and washes some of the oil off the cylinder walls for easier starting. Try it. :face-icon-small-hap

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Are your chokes working correctly? Even below zero cold it shouldn't take more than about 5 pulls. I have had choke cables break or the plastic tee at the lever break.

Thanks for the plug about the starter adapter. The M starter will make the rope easier to pull but won't help it fire if you aren't getting enough fuel.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
One trick I learned and have shared before is to kill the engine with the choke the night before the last start up. It adds extra fuel and washes some of the oil off the cylinder walls for easier starting. Try it. :face-icon-small-hap
I've read that one here before... probably from you. I need to give that a shot and see how it goes. This yr. has been 0 riding for me... so I'm really just testing out here at home on the trailer. Living at 2700 ft. and I haven't even got enough snow to romp around the property. Figured I'd have better luck with that after a day out riding, than just starting it up and letting it run until it's warm.
I'll give it a shot anyway though. Even if what's in there evaps before the next day... cleaning off the walls might helps some.

What mountaincat said works. I have a Speedwerx 1000, was terrible to pull over. I added the adapter that Idcatman(I think), sells and with the M style recoil it starts much easier.
I've read about that before and considered it... but I'm less worried about the tough pulls, than I am about the amount of pulls. I can get the leverage to get some good pulls easily enough... even at my 5'6" & 165 lbs. It's that I can pull 20 times and still no go, until I warm up the engine bay. Almost reminds me of kicking over an old shovel-head where it's either 3, 13 or 30 tries before it finally kicks over. Only it's never 3, when it's cold.

Are your chokes working correctly? Even below zero cold it shouldn't take more than about 5 pulls. I have had choke cables break or the plastic tee at the lever break.

Thanks for the plug about the starter adapter. The M starter will make the rope easier to pull but won't help it fire if you aren't getting enough fuel.
You're always such a great help Idcatman. Appreciate you putting in on this.
One of my old motor-head buddies suggested the choke cable when I first got the sled. I even ordered one and have it sitting around here... but I never installed it because the original one seems to be working fine.
Flipping it to full or mid setting while the sled is running makes a noticeable difference and the local shop said it was fine when I had it in last year swapping out rails, replacing the failing oil/gas mix pump and replacing the track drive bearings (added the WRP seat/bag combo and 2" bar risers too... but not really relevant here). I'll usually give a pull or two on full, then drop down to mid until it fires up.

I guess I'm just getting confused by the temp thing. Hot or cold... shouldn't the fuel be flowing the same? Once the block is warmed up a little... she pulls right over. :doh:
Makes me want to install a block heater to keep the mix oil flowing or something. :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've never seen one that did not start well. Even at 20 below mine usually only takes four or five pulls. Leave the chock all the way on, half chock is only for warm up. Check your coil output, could be weak spark. Use synthetic oil. Fuel pump could be bad and fuel is draining back. You can put a primer on, they work very well, all the old doo's needed them! I'm always shocked on how good mine starts! 20 pulls...you have something wrong with the sled or you gotta work out more to pull it over faster!!!

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I've read that one here before... probably from you. I need to give that a shot and see how it goes. This yr. has been 0 riding for me... so I'm really just testing out here at home on the trailer. Living at 2700 ft. and I haven't even got enough snow to romp around the property. Figured I'd have better luck with that after a day out riding, than just starting it up and letting it run until it's warm.
I'll give it a shot anyway though. Even if what's in there evaps before the next day... cleaning off the walls might helps some.

I've read about that before and considered it... but I'm less worried about the tough pulls, than I am about the amount of pulls. I can get the leverage to get some good pulls easily enough... even at my 5'6" & 165 lbs. It's that I can pull 20 times and still no go, until I warm up the engine bay. Almost reminds me of kicking over an old shovel-head where it's either 3, 13 or 30 tries before it finally kicks over. Only it's never 3, when it's cold.

You're always such a great help Idcatman. Appreciate you putting in on this.
One of my old motor-head buddies suggested the choke cable when I first got the sled. I even ordered one and have it sitting around here... but I never installed it because the original one seems to be working fine.
Flipping it to full or mid setting while the sled is running makes a noticeable difference and the local shop said it was fine when I had it in last year swapping out rails, replacing the failing oil/gas mix pump and replacing the track drive bearings (added the WRP seat/bag combo and 2" bar risers too... but not really relevant here). I'll usually give a pull or two on full, then drop down to mid until it fires up.

I guess I'm just getting confused by the temp thing. Hot or cold... shouldn't the fuel be flowing the same? Once the block is warmed up a little... she pulls right over. :doh:
Makes me want to install a block heater to keep the mix oil flowing or something. :face-icon-small-ton

The part in red, that is your issue. Leave the choke on full untill the thing fires. If it fires and dies then flip it half way.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
20 pulls...you have something wrong with the sled or you gotta work out more to pull it over faster!!!
Well... I've got one leg and I weigh all of 170 lbs. or so. Just need to put a little more *** into my pulls huh? :face-icon-small-dis
seriously though... you guys seem to agree here:

The part in red, that is your issue. Leave the choke on full untill the thing fires. If it fires and dies then flip it half way.
Appreciate the heads up Mike. I'll give that a shot next time I get it out and about. Gonna be moving it for summer storage here pretty soon. I'll give that a shot before I drain the tank and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys! :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features