• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Coat Alpha Skid

Sled424

Premium Member
Sep 14, 2016
Was looking to powder coat my alpha skid when it arrives. With certain parts made of magnesium will that affect the powder coating process? Or will have i have to find another way to change the color? Annodize? Looking to make it med green. Any info is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I've been asking since it came out. I have emailed Cat and got nothing, talked to a Cat guy visiting my dealer, he didn't know. I emailed Country Cat and they didn't know either.

What I got out of the Cat guy visiting my dealer was: the parts are coated prior to them being bonded together and he said he wouldn't risk it.

Anodizing should be fine or if you wanted to paint it. What I think I'm going to do is get the rail wrap from Octane Ink. They offer it and you could do something custom or solid, or whatever and I'm thinking it will hold up well.

Sled424

Premium Member
Sep 14, 2016
Looks like getting a wrap will be easiest and cheapest way to get it done. Hard to find someone to get it anodized and match the color to paint it

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
If you happen to order one and get a chance install it, give a report. I won't be able pick up my Alpha for a few more weeks until I get home.

Sled424

Premium Member
Sep 14, 2016
My Alpha wont be here until mid November but i will let you know if it does decide to show up sooner!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’m Looking at doing the same thing. I think it’ll be hard to find a wrap that covers all the purple on the mono rail. The standard octane ink wrap only covers about 1/2 the alpha rail. I’m thinking of just keeping the purple now and going with a wrap that matches.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Doing a REALLY good prep job and having it painted by a body shop or spray cans of med green right from Cat would be my vote.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I was considering having it painted, but the color I want it might be tough to match to the powder going on the spindles, boards and bumpers.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Since that mono rail is pretty highly stressed while riding... I'd stay away from powder coating as it has a high probability of ruining the heat treat.
Many have claimed good luck with powcoat of rails, but I've seen the results when things are not ideal.

Paint gets my vote.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Isn’t it powder coated from factory? Sure looks like powder coat.

I powder coat my own parts for years...spindles, rails etc ...never had a issue with making it weaker, but I agree would suck if it made it weaker.

Last edited:

jason_hildo

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2010
You can't powder coat it because Cat literally glues the pieces together, there is small screws and rivets to hold it together while the bonding agent dries. I'm gonna pull mine off and get it painted by and autobody shop, I'm sure they can match the powder coat of aftermarket running boards/bumpers or factory match.

edit: Turblue beat me to it

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The glue that holds all the brackets/pieces together doesn't like the heat powder requires.

Seen numerous ones fail rider #1 after coating.

Embrace the purple! lol, or get it painted.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Rail

I was going to powder coat my rail but chickened out.
So I had an auto body shop paint mine black.

Last edited:
Premium Features