• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What happened to the forum Header?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ummmm, I think, unfortunately, you nailed it. The current snowest forum regime is exceedingly arrogant and rather blatant with regard to pilfering of funds from those who make the forum work in the first place...

Paying members having to view ads is pretty "forward thinking". Most places get rid of the ads for the basic fee. It appears you can do this with snowest as well, just another $7 a year on top of what you already paid.

The arrogance is easy to spot. There are at least two threads going right now about the big new header banner with "subscribe" highlighted but, strangely no word from the fearless leader. I think that pretty much tells us where admin stands, no words necessary.

He's too busy pimping his new trailer build, to worry about the preferences of the forum members.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sorry to arrive at the party so late guys.
Have been gone to some training since thursday morning and just now getting caught up.

Clearly Harris has changed the header information on the forums once again.

For those of you that use the NO-ADS option we are working on the source code to include their new header into the material that is suppressed. Will try to get that done in the next 24 hours if possible.

Meanwhile I must point out yet again.
The BOARDERS around the forum are controlled 100% by Harris Publishing. That is their territory and I have no control over it at all. They make changes as they see fit, and I, like you, find out about it after the fact.

If you are a Free user of the forums, you really should upgrade to Premium, and if you are a PREMIUM USER, by all means you should turn on the NO-ADS option to see what a HUGE difference it makes in using the forum on a day-to-day basis.

And if you don't know what that is, read more about it here.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373470

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I just logged in on my PC at work and the header is fine, Its also fine on my iPhone. Any chance this has something to do with a operating system update?

Eric

S
For how stupid this site gets with the ads, I can't help but advocate adblock+ and similar browser plugins. (Or switching forums.)

The management here really stinks and I still can't believe that people subscribe to this.

And the fact that I look over to the right and see a smiley waving an isreal flag... w. t. f.
Yeah, real classy place this.

The people made this forum, there's a number of them that still make this forum, and still, the management of this place is puking joke.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ummmm, I think, unfortunately, you nailed it. The current snowest forum regime is exceedingly arrogant and rather blatant with regard to pilfering of funds from those who make the forum work in the first place...

Paying members having to view ads is pretty "forward thinking". Most places get rid of the ads for the basic fee. It appears you can do this with snowest as well, just another $7 a year on top of what you already paid.

The arrogance is easy to spot. There are at least two threads going right now about the big new header banner with "subscribe" highlighted but, strangely no word from the fearless leader. I think that pretty much tells us where admin stands, no words necessary.

What do you mean by that?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For our PREMIUM MEMBERS who are using the NO-ADS Option, the forum header is now gone from view, and the structure has been returned to the way it used to be.

If you are not using the optional NO-ADS feature, you are not getting the most out of your SnoWest Forums experience.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
NO header with link bar at ALL now for me.

Must be working on it.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
For our PREMIUM MEMBERS who are using the NO-ADS Option, the forum header is now gone from view, and the structure has been returned to the way it used to be.

If you are not using the optional NO-ADS feature, you are not getting the most out of your SnoWest Forums experience.

So here is how I interpret the direction things are heading (have already gone).

Raise the level of suck for those not paying maximum fees to the point that every one is paying maximum fees except for those who have simply moved on.

The sad fact is MANY, MANY great members have moved on, and this place isn't even a shadow of what it once was.

The standard response has been....."It's not me blame Harris" & "pay the max to get the most out of this forum"

Well if Harris doesn't even listen to your feedback, how could you stomach staying on around here?

OK, rant over.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK, rant over.

I wish I had a simple answer for you, but I don't.
Harris Publishing is a business that sells advertising.

I am a forum Admin that runs enthusiast sites like this one.
The reality is that from time to time our goals and objectives are not 100% in sync with each other, thats just how it is. But that doesn't mean they aren't reasonable with me and try hard to find common ground for differing objectives of the advertisers and the members.

The manufacturers of the toys you enjoy WANT you to see LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of their ads. Make no mistake about it, THEY drive all of the advertising you see on the forums. If they weren't pushing to be seen, there wouldn't be the unending drive to find new ways to present their message to you.

What I have done is come up with a pretty reasonable way to solve your problem though. And not only does it solve it, but you end up with a better user interface experience on SnoWest than you ever had in the past.

Have you even tried it??
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373470

O
Dec 6, 2007
What do you mean by that?

What do I mean? Are you blind man?

It is clearly explained above by others...

Make it suck so bad people are almost forced to pay. Then make some changes, create another bad situation (excessive ads) and go back to the trough for more money, on top of the money that was promised to be enough to fix what was wrong with the forum.

The forum is running much like the government today. There is a new tax everyday... Then you create problems and charge to solve the problem you created all the while oh so conveniently blaming it on the faceless Harris Publishing.

Congrats though, I suspect you have taken this once enthusiast driven forum and turned it into a huge cash cow. I doubt this plan is sustainable for the long term but Harris and its agents might as well line their pockets with memebers dollars until it falls apart again. This is a prime example of what is wrong with our country these days.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What do I mean? Are you blind man?

It is clearly explained above by others...

Make it suck so bad people are almost forced to pay. Then make some changes, create another bad situation (excessive ads) and go back to the trough for more money, on top of the money that was promised to be enough to fix what was wrong with the forum.

The forum is running much like the government today. There is a new tax everyday... Then you create problems and charge to solve the problem you created all the while oh so conveniently blaming it on the faceless Harris Publishing.

Again, my question is about your claim of
pilfering of funds
Are you suggesting that money is being stolen for personal gain?

Congrats though, I suspect you have taken this once enthusiast driven forum and turned it into a huge cash cow. I doubt this plan is sustainable for the long term but Harris and its agents might as well line their pockets with memebers dollars until it falls apart again. This is a prime example of what is wrong with our country these days.
Not sure if that is directed at me. If so, you're barking up the wrong tree.
I'm just a snowmobiler who likes to look at powder pictures and talk about sleds.
Plus I have to delete the personal threats, troll posts and those p0rn pictures in the max threads.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Use Google Chrome and the Header appears just as it used to.
Ian
It looks right in FIREFOX AND CHROME.
But all messed up in EXPLORER.

I just passed along some screen shots to Harris to make SURE they are fully away of the defect in the screen configuration in Explorer.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Again, my question is about your claim of Are you suggesting that money is being stolen for personal gain?

Well absolutely it is. People call it business but yes, in this case it is tantamount to theft IMO.

Not sure if that is directed at me. If so, you're barking up the wrong tree.
I'm just a snowmobiler who likes to look at powder pictures and talk about sleds.
Plus I have to delete the personal threats, troll posts and those p0rn pictures in the max threads.

No, but YOU asked the question. I understand moderator duties, you understand this isn't the only forum on the internet right?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well absolutely it is. People call it business but yes, in this case it is tantamount to theft IMO.
LOL

No, but YOU asked the question. I understand moderator duties, you understand this isn't the only forum on the internet right?
Um, OK. Thanks. But I have no income from this forum. Again, don't bark up my tree for that.

Premium Features