• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha One Rear Skid - Will it change things forever?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Last edited:
S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I am trying to figure out how hard to update my 14 with this suspension, I really do not want to spend 14000 plus on a new and maybe get 6000 for my current. I figure it will be in the 3000 range to change everything out, only issue will be if I can make the 7 tooth work or if there is a 6 tooth available. I think the maneuverability is something no other skid could do.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I am trying to figure out how hard to update my 14 with this suspension, I really do not want to spend 14000 plus on a new and maybe get 6000 for my current. I figure it will be in the 3000 range to change everything out, only issue will be if I can make the 7 tooth work or if there is a 6 tooth available. I think the maneuverability is something no other skid could do.

Conversion is supposed to available for the 2018’s. Heard 3500 retail for track skid and shocks. Think you would need to install the dropped chaincase first of all, then maybe change the skid mounting points? Then you need the 2016 front end or your going to lose a whole bunch of the handling that introduced, also new skis this year. And a lot of the performance increase of the 2018 came from the motor and clutches.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Conversion is supposed to available for the 2018’s. Heard 3500 retail for track skid and shocks. Think you would need to install the dropped chaincase first of all, then maybe change the skid mounting points? Then you need the 2016 front end or your going to lose a whole bunch of the handling that introduced, also new skis this year. And a lot of the performance increase of the 2018 came from the motor and clutches.

I have a 16 front end, with a 3 inch track, Probably too much work and money for the benefit.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I too wondered if I could retrofit my 2015 with that rear skid (or whatever it's called).

The thing I think is the coolest is the maneuverability! To have nearly the maneuverability of a snowbike without the high center of gravity and more than double (maybe triple) the horsepower, is pretty darn cool.

I wonder if they would ever have the skis and shocks dip when turning?

Like this: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/niken

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Theres a lot of unanswered questions out there; hows it going to ride on trails/set-up conditions, durability, overall handling, etc. We will find out so enough, its a step in the right direction, someone has to take the big step and to bring change to the industry and Cat has done it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
This skid seems to be aimed solely at the Mountain sled market.

Perhaps it could be the Genesis for a whole new mountain specific chassis dedicated exclusively to the off the grid rider.

While budget conscious, using one chassis and adopting it for both trail and off will always be a compromise.

Let's hope this truly is the beginning of a revolution in the design of mountain sleds!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Not sure but i heard it has it's own track so your stuck with thats 3.5 pitch also the massive flex ede seems like it would wash out when rolled up on a side hill. I mean think of when you see that sidehill track that is just the ski and a few inches of the track if it rolls up how will that hold a line.New stuff is alway cool but that does not mean it always works

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That center pivot point of the track allows the track to conform to the hillside.

This idea takes Skidoos flexing rear skid and no fiberglass rods in the outer edges of their tracks theory to the next level. Instead of the skid itself flexing (sometimes when you don't want it to), the track itself is flexing from a center hinge point allowing more of track to grab the snow instead of the track getting up on it's edge.

With the track now rolling into the hillside, hopefully they played with different track widths to find the optimal width for this application. Based on the fact that they changed the track pitch to a 3.5". I would bet they found a 15" width works well enough and fits into existing tunnels. However, if they found a wider or narrower track worked better, then a whole new tunnel design could be in the works to go with this new rear skid (if that what we still call it).

I really think they might be on to something here!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I think with this design suspension and the longer pitch, narrower would work.advantage is handling and the use of a narrower tunnel. New Chassis with narrower overall bodywork would make this seem more snowbike like with better trail manners. Make it signifigantly lighter and the loss of flotation from width would not be very noticeable. Could be start of a revolutionary mountain specific design. Take an old Firecat chassis, narrow and rework front suspension geometry, put a newer 800HO in it, cut the new track down and you could have first prototype. If I had enough time to waste it would be a cool project. Anyone else brave(brave and stupid are interchangeable depending on perspective) enough to try it?

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Initially I thought, like many others have said, that it seemed like it may wash out on a sidehill. After thinking about it, I may have a different opinion. The skid is definitely what "bites" and holds on a sidehill. With this design, it will still be the skid biting and holding. Before, there was still track flexing under the skid, just a much shorter piece of it. The track on this new design will probably flex even easier with a much longer piece of the track flexing beyond the skid. So...the skid will still bite, just a little further down hill and now you will also have more track in contact with the snow. The only problem I am wondering about is with the skid being in the "center line" of the sled, won't the panels and running boards come into contact with the snow much sooner? Either way....I REALLY want to try one of these out. I won't rush out ti buy one though. I buy my sleds just like my cars. Never new. Always a year or two old. I like to let someone else discover all the problems and let the factory work all the bugs out.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm right there with you! The new rear skid seems like half the solution.

Yes the side panels and running boards would certainly panel out first.

However, when you watch the videos, when the guys are spinning circles, I don't see the sled tipping over much at all. Interestingly, it looks like the sled is almost flat while spinning around.

Things look a bit different when side hilling, I guess they would have to for it to work.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I think it will be very agile and allow for quick turns via the tail pivoting out. But I'm guessing that just like the Ski Doo skid, it will wash out easier with aggressive sidehills and require more countersteering effort...video seems to lend to this. So, if you cruise around on easier terrain all day...probably less tiring. But if you are cutting the steep and deep and have lots of sidehills, the countersteering effort will become tiring.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Pretty sure what makes a snow bike manuverable is the single ski in the front. When I'm on my track only the sled gets pretty "manuverable" with two conventional rails.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ll have to go measure how much track sits outside the rails now. Maybe 2” of track outside each rail? Depending on the width of the mono beam, I wonder how much additional track is flexing on each side of the single rail. 1.5” additional? 2” additional”? If the new track is more rigid but does have some(whatever that might mean) flex to it, the sidehill concerns might not be as drastic as being talked about. There’s still washouts happening with the current set up, the washout worries might just be similar as to what is experience now. Just by watching the video, since that is all that is available, it looks fun. I like new tech a d what new tech creates. For some reason, I picture a slightly wider mono rail that what is being shown, sort of a pyramid shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Nov 26, 2007
IMO...this is further pushing the MTN sleds into single purpose deep power/mtn riding only machines. There was even an article i read that stated that the Alpha mono rail is NOT for trial riding, i.e don't complain when the hifax melt and the engine overheats. I know the current 'trend' in the market is pushing development of the mtn sleds but its at the point that a good % of people that are buying these machines aren't really using them for the purpose they were designed. I mean, how many deep powder days in the mtns does the average guy actually ride in? Just seems to me that the current market is being driven by hype, and Burant style videos, more than what is actually practical for most people. The cross over design seems more practical for most people (if their ego will allow it).

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know if you have seen the videos of the new 2019 Alpha One Rear skid on the 2019 Arctic cats but, it's a novel design.

What are your thoughts? Will it change the way rear skids are made forever?

Take a Look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjWwhJZyP8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKtsEvDsg0

This could almost make sleds on par with the maneuverability of snowbikes!

I don't think that you will get snowbike maneuverability with this setup. You still have 2 skis and you will have to get the downhill ski in the air like any snowmobile. You also have a much wider and heavier machine. Finally, regarding snowbike kits, the Camso DTS 129 has a single skid design (albeit much narrower track). It washes out easier and doesn't hold a sidehill as well as the 2 skid kits.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My buddy said his holds the line. He initialy thought the camso would wash. He is a really good rider. Could be some difference there.

Premium Features