• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8000 run great then dies..!?

M
Feb 28, 2008
So this weekend my M8000 2014 was running great then shut off by itself.. Trying to start and no effort. Let it cool down for 5 min then it start first pull and run like usual. 10 feet away the motor dies again. Let it cool down and it fire right up then, 10 feet dies again... I've check every wires and connections, coils are good. The only code was ecu 17 and its the oxygen sensor so the engine wouldn't die.

Thanks for the help

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Did u try unplugging tss?

It’s not a oxygen sensor, it’s a exhaust temp sensor so maybe it’s bad and telling computer to shut it down? Just a thought.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Replace or do a delete of the sensor and you will probably find your problem and be good to go.

You can get the GM exhaust temp sensor for about $50 or so.
Its the sensor that is screwed into your pipe if you are wondering. If you know already, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I will replace the sensor but normaly a bad exhaust sensor down make the engine shut down!?

I would be surprised if the sensor is the issue. The biggest failure on those sensors seems to be the connector, check it close and possibly just a repair is required. That sensor should not shut the engine down. If after the sensor is repaired the issue is still there I would be leaning towards the stator.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
I would check the connection at the fuel pump, and stator connections. Unplug and check for corrosion inside the fuel pump connector especially. If both look good then I'd lean towards the stator. You can test resistance on it, and see if it tests bad after the sled dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I had to change my wiring harness. Couldn't believe it was the problem but it had conditions like yours. It's an unspoken problem with Cats for some reason. Guy in Idaho put me on the right path with figuring it out. He changes a half dozen every season. Runs fine now.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I know you said you checked wires. Could you possibly be missing a pinched wire under the hood, under your gauge? Or another place is in front of the silencer inside or in front of that nylon wire cover along the frame?
I mention those 2 because I had a similar situation earlier in the year and found wires pinched in both those areas. After I loosened things up and fixed, my stalling issues immediately stopped. Haven’t had a single problem in 4 rides since. That particular day was stall after stall, maybe not every 5 minutes but could have been every 15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had that happen too but, it was one of my injector wires in front of the Y pipe grounding out due rubbing on the exhaust shield. When the pipe got hot it expanded and touched the wire and grounded out the sled. Once it cooled down it would fire up and then die again.

E
Dec 24, 2011
Yakima wa
I will replace the sensor but normaly a bad exhaust sensor down make the engine shut down!?

Yes it actually does. If it’s faulty it actually tells the ecu to not send fuel, I experienced the same thing. Under the goggle warmer there is a blue plug. Try unplugging it if it happens again start it and plug it back in. That’s what did it for me

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
So this weekend my M8000 2014 was running great then shut off by itself.. Trying to start and no effort. Let it cool down for 5 min then it start first pull and run like usual. 10 feet away the motor dies again. Let it cool down and it fire right up then, 10 feet dies again... I've check every wires and connections, coils are good. The only code was ecu 17 and its the oxygen sensor so the engine wouldn't die.

Thanks for the help

Not sure if you figured this on out yet but check out the thread on the reverse button, not exactly the same, but something to eliminate while troubleshooting.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Yes it actually does. If it’s faulty it actually tells the ecu to not send fuel, I experienced the same thing. Under the goggle warmer there is a blue plug. Try unplugging it if it happens again start it and plug it back in. That’s what did it for me

According to the A/C service manual it will go to a fail safe mod, which will simply add more fuel. It may not run perfect or even close but it will run and get you home. You can unplug the sensor and the sled will start and run.

M
Feb 28, 2008
So I just tested all coils, unplug TSS, put a new pipe sensor, check every wire.. The problem is still there. It ran fine then a tool showed up on the gauge and the motor dies. Can a bad stator could make this happen?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
So I just tested all coils, unplug TSS, put a new pipe sensor, check every wire.. The problem is still there. It ran fine then a tool showed up on the gauge and the motor dies. Can a bad stator could make this happen?

Yes the stator or timing sensor can make it happen. You need an ohm meter and specs, look at the harness coming out of the stator and know what you are wanting to do as it may be time sensitive. You will need to check both charge coils, fuel pump,injection and primary ignition coils. The ignition timing sensor should be checked also. You may want to unplug the reverse button and ignition switch and try that also before all the stator checks.

I have the specs for a 16 let me know if you want them.

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Yes please I don't have the specs.

Thanks

2016 8000 specs
Charge coil 1
Triple wire plug: black /red wire and green/red
8.8-13.2 ohms
Charge coil 2 brown/white and green /red same spec

Fuel pump test the 2 orange wires in the 4 prong connector 1.52-2.28 ohms

Injection coil test the 2 blue/white wires in the 4 prong connector 15.2-22.8 ohms

Timing sensor disconnect both and test green /white brown/green 148-222 ohms

Premium Features