• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding e start?

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Hey guys I am going to retire my 17 mtn cat to my wife for next season, what's all needed to add e start to these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
To do it per factory specs you need Long gas tank, Long seat, clutch ring, and the starter kit.

If you have a compact muffler you can keep you tank and seat set up, and mount a compact battery on the exhaust side.

My buddy got lucky a couple years ago with his RMK. He wanted e start, another guy wanted to ditch his. They pulled both sleds into a garage, swapped the parts, and away they went. Best part, it was free. Maybe hit your dealer up, post to local classifieds, etc. you might be able to find someone in a similar situation.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I’m looking into this also for my 15 m8000.

I found a kit from country cat that comes without battery for $429 which would be perfect as I would like to supply my own lithium battery. But it appears that kit is discontinued.

I only see the kit with battery for $575.99 part no. 7639-126

I also see they make a update kit for sleds that already have e-start that retails for $199.99 so even if I can find someone who wants to remove there e-start and sell to me...odds are it won’t have the updated parts.

Gonna have to bit the bullet and spring for the kit with battery and hopefully part no. 7639-126 has the updated parts.

Anyone know if standard cat battery will fit in front of powderlite can?

Last edited:

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
About a year back, there was a post on Arcticatchat, it had a part number for a battery box that you could mount on right side of belly, in front of the can.

At that time, I wanted to move my estart battery to the right side to balance sled. Never did the battery move, but there are posts out there with that setup.

Bopper, you can buy the kit, but if it were me, I’d buy the ring gear for back of clutch, and the starter and bracket from online part source, a $15 solenoid, wire it up with a fuseable link/relay to prevent fire, and giver

https://partstream.arinet.com/Mobil...gzwk-RLtY5BEjMu-hOYoCuBM3yNy1OuwEsfkpZg1.html

I was happy that ring gear moved over to the 2018 clutch upgrade I did, otherwise I’d have sold my estart.

Last edited:

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
After doing some part searching, I’ll retract my statement. I’d buy kit, it’s cheaper, or wait till you find a part out sled. I’d still put battery in front right to save buying a tank and seat

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Anyone have pics of how they did battery on exhaust side?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
E start

If cat could come up with a way of having electric start without all the extra weight I'd add a couple kits to my sleds.

I wish they'd come up with a shot style electric start that worked on the stater or flywheel. Or maybe just integrate the starter housing into the case or block so it weighed less.
I'm guessing if electric started didn't come with such a weight penalty more people would have it!
I know I'd have it!!!

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
If cat could come up with a way of having electric start without all the extra weight I'd add a couple kits to my sleds.

I wish they'd come up with a shot style electric start that worked on the stater or flywheel. Or maybe just integrate the starter housing into the case or block so it weighed less.
I'm guessing if electric started didn't come with such a weight penalty more people would have it!
I know I'd have it!!!

The way I see it e-start weighs 18 pounds. 8 of which comes from the battery. U can get a 1 pound battery for around $100. I removed 17 pounds with aftermarket can. Now I’m adding about 9ish pounds. Seems worth it. Not a easy sled to turn over

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
E start

The way I see it e-start weighs 18 pounds. 8 of which comes from the battery. U can get a 1 pound battery for around $100. I removed 17 pounds with aftermarket can. Now I’m adding about 9ish pounds. Seems worth it. Not a easy sled to turn over

I agree. They are tough to pull over. My wife and daughter can't do it. Sometimes I have to start 3 or 4 sleds including my own so it gets a little annoying by the end of the day. I just wish there was a lighter way to make it happen.
I hate adding weight to a sled!

J
Oct 13, 2016
If this helps at all, I added electric start to my wife's 15 M8000. It wasn't cheap. You need a new seat, new tank, plus the electric start kit. Here is a pic of the parts and costs if that helps anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 70

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
If this helps at all, I added electric start to my wife's 15 M8000. It wasn't cheap. You need a new seat, new tank, plus the electric start kit. Here is a pic of the parts and costs if that helps anyone.

Wow that’s a lot o dough!

I plan on adding e-start without doing the seat/gas tank swap. As ultrasks700 said there's room for the battery to go by a aftermarket can which I have.

Another option would be aftermarket chain case cover and ditch the stock oil tank for a smaller plastic one that mounts higher leaving room for a battery under. I’ve heard guys doing it that way anyway.

Waiting/hoping for those that have done battery on driver side option to post some pics.:juggle:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Adding E start

So I was just looking at the parts fiche for the new 600 and 800 DSI motors. It looks like the electric start uses less parts on the newer motors.
It looks like the starter mounts right to the engine?
If so I'll be adding this to my 2018 M800.

I'd never buy the E start tank and seat though. I'd just put the battery in front of the muffler.

Jeffster thanks for sharing your cost.
It'll be about 30% more for me to add that to a sled here in Canada!

Premium Features