• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Surge Tank

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Anyone run a sure tank? Riding power lines fuel sloshes around pretty good and when at a lower level I’ve expirenced the hesitation of not enough or air rated fuel.

Just curious if anyone runs one or an upgraded fuel pump. I found a thread about removing a smart valve in the factory setup but I lost it now. Basically a cheap way to get less restriction in the stock fuel delivery system on the 1100.
Thanks nick

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Its not the fuel pump, its the fuel line burping air when the tank gets low.

I bypassed the front smart valve so the rear smart valves can feed the main fuel line when the tank is low. The rear smart valves can't feed fuel through a dry front smart valve when all the fuel is now at the back of the tank.

Get some fuel hose, hose clamps, a carb vacuum cap, and a t-fitting at your local auto parts store and whip this up. (pic attached)

You have to feed the whole assembly out of the tank to do the surgery but it goes back in pretty easy.

No more issues with fuel starvation towards the end of the day.

Attachments

• M11 Fuel Pick Up.jpg
    M11 Fuel Pick Up.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
The carb vac cap (I drew a red square around where it goes) just covers the original fuel line nipple on the front smart valve where the fuel line from the rear units used to go.

Instead of trying to push fuel through a dry front valve nipple it now is routed above it to the new "T" fitting nipple in the main line.

Attachments

• M11 Fuel Pick Up_LI.jpg
    M11 Fuel Pick Up_LI.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 32
Premium Features