• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnowSkoot long track project

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Well since there hasnt been much local snow and my sport turned out great I decided to jump into the skoot. Plus both my girls are ready for this and we all know what it would be like just to have one. I had drivers which I found over the summer so the rest was easy. Found a nice polaris 3/4 inch lug track fully clipped, so XCR 121 rails and the rest was fab up as we go. I cut this track in the table saw which was a ton easier than the sawzall...a good friend is needed to help, thanks Ryan!! So anyhow I just started this one on friday and I think in the next couple days I will be ready for a test ride. Also doing some other work to her as she needed some love, the viper skis also fit well with some bushings I made to fit the spindles. New fuel lines and oil inj lines while I'm in there. The skid is totally different from the sport one but this is what I came up with so far....should work:face-icon-small-hap
Also what do you guys think about this on the clutch? from what I see the belt doestn even come close to sitting at the bottom in the primary which wont help take off for sure...now it does and u can see way higher in the secondary...guess well see here soon enough!

IMG_5647_zps178ebaca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5654_zps00228bf4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5656_zpse2884a77.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5657_zpsbc1b5c8a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5659_zps18eef197.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5660_zps9a93b91e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5661_zpse50d741e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5662_zpsf6ef68d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5663_zpsc8bf1f0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5665_zps05328bc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5666_zpsb985c82f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5667_zps7eac03f3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5651_zpse392a29e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
We used a table saw too. Once done, a bit of laquer thinner to get the burnt rubber off the blade and we were cleaned up with a vacuum.

I also had some PVC that I cut to fit inside of the coil in the rear spring to keep it snug.

You installed a spacer in the primary to let the belt drop lower?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
yes it dropped the belt lower, its not even close to low in there with my set up anyhow...and with a brand new belt even worse. So well see when I ride it, hopefully in a couple days

on your springs I was going to use a threaded eye let just incase some adjustment was needed but maybe I'm over thinking the wheel here??

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
W. Washington
swing arm mount

I like how you mounted the swing arm to the skid, real clean. Did you remake the tube that the springs go on for the mount to bolt to the skid that way? Most go a little further in then that.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
rode the beast!

OK got it rideable last nite and tried a couple things...with my little washer in the clutch man its zippy on the bottom but the top end speed for sure was less...so then I drove it back in the garage and took out the washer and bad outta the hole but had good top speed....so my wheels are turning now. I want both lol, here is the lates pics!

IMG_5680_zps1d59f133.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5681_zpsacc96ef7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
new light I got and am going to rig on both the skoot and the sport:face-icon-small-hap
IMG_5682_zps9bbf9416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5683_zps2f063277.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

C
Nov 29, 2008
still one more great mod left ....
cut away the plastic foot rest part of the shroud and the couple of slight stiffeners underneath. Add a short piece of round / square tube from the back to the front of the frame on the inside edge and a few short cross pieces al air frame boards .... no more feet slipping off or snow / ice under foot.
Hope the kids have a very Merry Christmas riding them!

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Clutch mod

So how did the clutch mod work.

Well since there hasnt been much local snow and my sport turned out great I decided to jump into the skoot. Plus both my girls are ready for this and we all know what it would be like just to have one. I had drivers which I found over the summer so the rest was easy. Found a nice polaris 3/4 inch lug track fully clipped, so XCR 121 rails and the rest was fab up as we go. I cut this track in the table saw which was a ton easier than the sawzall...a good friend is needed to help, thanks Ryan!! So anyhow I just started this one on friday and I think in the next couple days I will be ready for a test ride. Also doing some other work to her as she needed some love, the viper skis also fit well with some bushings I made to fit the spindles. New fuel lines and oil inj lines while I'm in there. The skid is totally different from the sport one but this is what I came up with so far....should work:face-icon-small-hap
Also what do you guys think about this on the clutch? from what I see the belt doestn even come close to sitting at the bottom in the primary which wont help take off for sure...now it does and u can see way higher in the secondary...guess well see here soon enough!

IMG_5647_zps178ebaca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5654_zps00228bf4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5656_zpse2884a77.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5657_zpsbc1b5c8a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5659_zps18eef197.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5660_zps9a93b91e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5661_zpse50d741e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5662_zpsf6ef68d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5663_zpsc8bf1f0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5665_zps05328bc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5666_zpsb985c82f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5667_zps7eac03f3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5651_zpse392a29e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The shim you are using fits over the splined shaft and is no larger diameter than the slip tube? And you are thinking a .080 thickness is a good starting point?

I have this one up on the stands getting it ready for snow and may add a shim washer if you think it benefits the long track.

As for your adjustable spring eye bolts, I'm not sure that makes as much difference as having adjustability in the limiter strap. I had to play with this one once I got it on the snow to make sure I had enough ski pressure to turn. I might work over a set of plastic skis I have on hand to make them more usable than these stock skis with XLT ski skins.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
yes find your self a 5/8 machinery washer and grind down the OD so it just has some meat left and do a 0.040 and a 0.080 and try em and see what you think. Big diff on my units.

and yea on the skids I musta lucked out because both steer excellent even on ice at slow speeds they turn in 6 feet :face-icon-small-hap

Im sure the skis help, they have a short 2 inch chunk of carbide that I ground flat but so far from what I have seen is great!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Man, I was on fire this afternoon.

The scoot needed fuel to the carb and I knew if I took enough stuff off I could figure out what the problem was.

I ended up replacing the oil and gas site tubes so you could actually see the volume, took the tank off because I hadn't done that in a while, replaced the snap ring on the kick starter shaft and put a riser block on the handlebars to get the Phazer pod up 1" higher. I also pulled the carb and checked it out. Once the carb was off I figured I may as well put a new fuel line between the pump and the carb.

Oh yeah, while I was there I put an aluminum shim behind the upper steering support bushing to squeeze some annoying slop out of it. I took pictures and everything. Got the camera back to my desk and realized the SD card was still in the slot on the PC. Oh well. The steering has slop, just not from the upper bushing now.

H
Jul 15, 2014
More beautiful work by you! And FAST! congrats on a great project and sick fab work.

those tail lights are perfect! would you please share where I can order one?!

thanks!

Premium Features