• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon Interference.... Good to know

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Ortovox S1 will screw up with cell phones. Intermod will take out the signals. The signals can push themselves into the receiver of your Beacon giving false readings......(layman terms)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My cell phone made a couple searches VERY difficult one day when I was trying out the T2, S1 & pulse... I was amazed at how poorly they worked with the phones on. The S1 was the worst, but they all were NOTABLY more difficult/ confused with the phone on.

I would think the phone would interfere much more than an Ipod or Spot, as the ipod sends no signals out & the spot works on satellites (connect has bluetooth though... )

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
So, in summary. Turn off all music and mobile devices. If 911 or S&R is to be called send a rider a ways away to make the call anf then stay there in case there is a callback.

BCIL, this would be a great thing for you to do in the Beacon Olympics. And videotape the results using all questionable devices. That way, it would be proof, no heresay or rumors.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Yeah, year before last at the BE was when we saw that in action. I knew it did SOMETHING... but had no idea it was that bad.

I wonder if my geek device (phone) on airplane mode would do the same thing? Shouldn't be sending any signals, but how would that be any different from an Ipod?

I now carry my phone most days for quick pics, so that would be an easy one to forget.

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
When you open the S1 the screen basically tells you no cell phone use in Rx mode. Very sensitive front end on them. Most electronic devices use a clocking circuit that will throw off some sort of RF. i-Pod not so much as GPS or radio/cell phone, but still a little. Good rule of thumb just to be on the safe side while in search is to turn off all devices. :tea:

Premium Features