• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro venting, dealer said it may void warranty!

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
So I picked up my Pro yesterday and dealer said the factory may void warranty work on sled if extra venting is done. He said they had redesigned the air flow which reduced heat at clutch by 60 degree's and by venting would disrupt the air-flow past the clutch.
I agree with all on this forum that you can never have to much venting, and since when has a manufacturer warrantied the clutch unless it had major manufacturing imperfections. Oh and by the way I looked under the hood and have a hard time seeing how much air flow will get past the clutch if left stock.:eek:hwell:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
WOW! That's pretty harsh. I would assume you don't need to vent it if everything is under warranty, but why would they care if we go the extra mile to protect our (their) investment? Extra air is always better. I thought Poo couldn't do the extra venting because of noise levels?? Does the epa have them by the balls in that dept. too? Scaring them into scaring us into leaving our sleds epa compliant? Man I hate all these bureaucracies!! Will it ever end? I'll answer that... NO! I'm gonna vent mine just because I can. What now bitches?! :face-icon-small-sho

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Sounds like your dealer is being a pain. I would think they would have to prove that your venting caused the failure. Really doubt they could do that.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
as mtnhrse stated maybe on the PANEL you cut into but that would be it... and the only warranty polaris does on those is crate damage, but that doesn't happen very often now that they are shipped inside of trailers instead of on an open trailer. we encourage all of our customers to vent their sleds, not only does it help keep the under hood temps down, clutch life up as well as increased belt life, but from a selling stand point its a great easy to install accessory to add to a sale

S

SuperBad

Banned
Oct 31, 2010
Your dealer is a dbag. Good dealers would work with you on that stuff. My dealer has always tried to get my back when it comes to warranty work.

P
Nov 4, 2010
with as tight as the engine compartments are getting to be i would say if your gonna ride deep pow venting is a must.

Last edited:
J

jstahmann

Oct 6, 2009
Orem, UT
My dealer wanted to install vent kits on mine before I picked it up. I didn't have them put on, but will be doing so soon per their recommendation. They also told me to remove the tool kit that is mounted right by the clutch because it hinders airflow. Ask your dealer if relocating the toolkit will affect warranty...

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Its good to see all the opinions on this. I have just received the Fire-n-Ice side panel and front sides. These look real sharp! Dealer did laugh when he was telling me about the warranty issue, so he must think it is bunk as well.

P
Mar 30, 2008
Vents are a joke...they don't breathe as well as you think they do. Hold one up and blow through one side while holding your hand on the other side, i've never really noticed a difference in clutch temps with/without them.

T
Dec 25, 2007
POW

There are a few huge concepts of science you are ignoring...

Heat is energy increasing the rate of molecular movement...and depends on several specific variables which are superfluous to the point....

Point: heat doesn't care how big the hole is: it is going to rise however possible. So, by adding more places for that to occur, you are significantly reducing the likelihood of heat being as high as before. Further, by increasing flow of cold air (read: molecules) past an object (ie clutch) you are going to reduce the heat by transferring it to the increased volume of air around it...Ooooo, now I know what causes global warming! Perhaps we should contact Al Gore for anther video:rofl:

So, it isn't just about how much air comes through when you blow at it...in fact, if you could blow straight through it we would be back to the 90s with the sweet metal mesh screens that allowed anything through...like snow that turned your sled into a giant snow shovel by day and ice container by night.

If you don't like the vents, don't use them:rolleyes::focus:

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
Side venting

These are Polaris side panel vent kits I installed on my '12 and if you look close at the holes cut into panels you will notice snow dust adhered to the vent holes. What was really going on was the clutch was acting like a intake turbo fan and drawing in snow dust and spraying water droplets on my TPS sensor and would short out the sensor. Sled went to shop 6 plus times for TPS replacement or drying out top of sensor where plugged into harness. Once we removed panels with side venting I never had problem reoccur.

Dec 2011 031_edited-1.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As per the law, warranty can be denied on the items directly affected by the modification. Say you put different shocks/springs in your new truck. The manufacturer can now deny warranty on suspension components and other items directly affected by your aftermarket parts. They cannot void your engine or transmission warranty, as those parts are independent of the suspension.

As mountainhorse mentioned....the warranty will be void on the panels you modify.

Premium Features