• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Premium Memberships now available.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The key, IMO, is ruthless moderation. If the goal is to get rid of the trash, then treat trash like trash. Issue it out with the rest of the garbage, without regard. It takes only a few mouse clicks to ban a member. It takes dozens of clicks to re-register, a new email account, and maybe even a new proxy to get past an IP ban. 99.999% of the trolls will go away after the first couple attempts, and the rest... well, just keep banning them. Its that easy. The people that want to stay will either modify their behavior, or they will be banned.

You might be surprised at how dedicated the opposition is to making sure they can keep coming back and causing trouble here on SnoWest, Ban or otherwise.

I am tracking 1,101 currently known "ALTER" accounts on SnoWest.

Those are all people who have come back in and created 1 or more additional accounts. Banning them doesn't stop them. Deleting them doesn't stop them. Banning their IPs doesn't stop them.

Those that wan't to cause trouble are highly motivated by their spite, hatred, Anger, animosity, ect, and take great joy in coming over here just to stir the pot and raise as much contention as they are able to.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You're correct. It was previously stated in a round about way that the bottom feeders will go away by charging.
That is a fact.
If we SHUT DOWN ALL FREE ACCOUNTS so that they were NOT allowed to post anything, the trolls would all leave.

But our goal is NOT to shut down the free accounts.
Which leaves us open to constant harassment by the Trolls who keep coming back and creating new accounts all day long.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
You might be surprised at how dedicated the opposition is to making sure they can keep coming back and causing trouble here on SnoWest, Ban or otherwise.

I am tracking 1,101 currently known "ALTER" accounts on SnoWest.

Those are all people who have come back in and created 1 or more additional accounts. Banning them doesn't stop them. Deleting them doesn't stop them. Banning their IPs doesn't stop them.

Those that wan't to cause trouble are highly motivated by their spite, hatred, Anger, animosity, ect, and take great joy in coming over here just to stir the pot and raise as much contention as they are able to.

I know. I have been down this road. Persistance is the key. Don't punish the masses for the wrongdoing of a few. (even if the few are 1,101 strong) You have the power, appoint special moderators if you have to, let the membership help you. Accept that there will be some collateral damage, then get your nose to the grindstone and do whats right. Like I said before, its easier for you or another moderator to ban the troll than it is for the troll to come back.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The Trolls are clearly the followers.
They are following the malcontents as part of the herd.

YOU KNOW WHAT CHRISTOPHER...AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT I AM GOING TO PAY YOUR FEE..BUT IF YOU THINK I AM A TROLL SPEAK RIGHT UP RIGHT NOW AND I WILL LEAVE........I dont troll anybody..I call a spade a spade and do it with honor..so if you have a problem spit it out......

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
AKSOWRIDER, nobody ever thought you were, or thinks you are a troll. You are a very liked contributing member of this site. Just because your opinion is different does not make you a troll.

The trolls are the jerks that cause trouble in tech post, those who call people names, create a feeling that other members are not wanted. Those post nude pics to see how long it will take to get deleted.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AKSOWRIDER, nobody ever thought you were, or thinks you are a troll. You are a very liked contributing member of this site. Just because your opinion is different does not make you a troll.

The trolls are the jerks that cause trouble in tech post, those who call people names, create a feeling that other members are not wanted. Those post nude pics to see how long it will take to get deleted.

I know what they are CJ..but it sure looks to me like christopher was pointing that right at me....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know. I have been down this road. Persistance is the key. Don't punish the masses for the wrongdoing of a few. (even if the few are 1,101 strong) You have the power, appoint special moderators if you have to, let the membership help you. Accept that there will be some collateral damage, then get your nose to the grindstone and do whats right. Like I said before, its easier for you or another moderator to ban the troll than it is for the troll to come back.
But it doesn't stop these guys. I don't know where they find the time to do this. But they just keep creating accounts. One after another after another. There is no end to it. Its just such a waste of TIME and ENERGY. Don't they have anything better to do with their life???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
YOU KNOW WHAT CHRISTOPHER...AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT I AM GOING TO PAY YOUR FEE..BUT IF YOU THINK I AM A TROLL SPEAK RIGHT UP RIGHT NOW AND I WILL LEAVE........I dont troll anybody..I call a spade a spade and do it with honor..so if you have a problem spit it out......
Ak, I am NOT talking about you!

Today has been a LONG LONG day of dealing with some serious crap on the forums that almost no one is aware of other than myself and Catwoman. Some of the people that really want to harm SnoWest have been working overtime of late to cause us grief. YOU are not among that group so far as I know.

You have a couple hundred IPs that I have tracked, but no alters. Nor are you going out of your way to cause SnoWest any trouble. I have NO BEEF with anyone that has a disagreement or wants to voice their difference of opinion, just so long as they do it in a polite manner.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Brook, they arnt hearing you..I have noticed for the most part(not all for sure) the guys who think us complainers, not wanting to pay members, are just whining, are the guys who dont contribute much to the tech side of things..they are the guys who need the tech threads....so in their eyes 30 bucks for all this info is a bargain...

hmmm.... don't no whether to be offended or if I should just have another :beer;

:p

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hmmm.... don't no whether to be offended or if I should just have another :beer;

:p

well chuck..you could be offended..or you could have a beer....hmm hard choice..tell ya what..how about a beer with a shot.....that should do it..by the way..its dumping down south...get in the truck and drive....

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
well chuck..you could be offended..or you could have a beer....hmm hard choice..tell ya what..how about a beer with a shot.....that should do it..by the way..its dumping down south...get in the truck and drive....

I had to send some electronic boost control crap to Idaho to be reprogrammed so no riding for me this weekend. :face-icon-small-sad

I skipped the beer and mixed a nice Pendeltons, 5 shot's with 6oz of coke and now it's all gooood. :face-icon-small-hap

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I had to send some electronic boost control crap to Idaho to be reprogrammed so no riding for me this weekend. :face-icon-small-sad

I skipped the beer and mixed a nice Pendeltons, 5 shot's with 6oz of coke and now it's all gooood. :face-icon-small-hap

almost 3 ft for valdez.......

Premium Features