• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 RMK 144" - Mods For Kids?

Eagle5150

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Happy Spring! With the MN snow season about done, I am already looking towards next year! I will have a 12yo who has moved through the 120 & 300 Freestyle & is ready for the next step. In any case, I am looking at a bone-stock 2014 RMK 600 144 ES for his next sled. Low miles, great price. My question is what mods can be reasonably done to make this a better sled for him (lighter weight, better "boondock/mountain" handling) for a small-frame, light-weight kid with good technical skills. Narrow the front end? Lithium battery? New shocks? I also heard of putting some heavier weights in the clutch to "slow" things down a bit...Any ideas are welcome!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Happy Spring! With the MN snow season about done, I am already looking towards next year! I will have a 12yo who has moved through the 120 & 300 Freestyle & is ready for the next step. In any case, I am looking at a bone-stock 2014 RMK 600 144 ES for his next sled. Low miles, great price. My question is what mods can be reasonably done to make this a better sled for him (lighter weight, better "boondock/mountain" handling) for a small-frame, light-weight kid with good technical skills. Narrow the front end? Lithium battery? New shocks? I also heard of putting some heavier weights in the clutch to "slow" things down a bit...Any ideas are welcome!

I sarcastically commented(but kinda meant it too) in another thread that one could calibrate the primary clutch to help reduce the snap & overall performance of the machine. At least until the rider's skills & familiarity with the machine improve to an acceptable level.

All other mods. will simply address the fitment of the machine to the rider - I.E. handlebar & seat orientation, suspension set up, etc.

The Pro RMK 600 will likely be the choice for my kids when they are ready for it.

Eagle5150

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the thread - lots of good ideas in there. Gives me a place to start. Thanks!

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I just bought the exact same sleds your talking about for my 11 year old boy and 13 year old girl. Here are a couple of things I've done immediately and some things I may do.

1. WRP Low rise seat. Wow...much easier to jump side to side
2. WRP Footboard inserts with massive holes to keep snow clear. The 600 144's have boards that love to hold snow.
3. I may run a shorter handlebar riser like 2" instead of the 3 1/5". Maybe not since I may jump on the sled once in a while and the lower bars may be too low for me. We'll see.
4. Narrow the front end to 36". I need to spend some time on my buddies narrowed pro to see if I think it is too tippy...if not, I will do this to the kids sleds.
5. Ice Scratchers! I like the cable type scratchers because you can run the sled in reverse and not ruin them (kids forget). The 600's can heat up pretty quick on the trail I've noticed.
6. Lightweight can with some noise. Sounds cool for sure, but makes it much easier to locate and keep track of the kids...Braaap!

Heavier weights to tame sled? This is not necessary depending on your kid. My kids have very good throttle skills through years of riding, so I don't see any reason to tame the motor.

IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3042.jpg IMG_3039.jpg IMG_3047.jpg IMG_3045.jpg IMG_3043.jpg IMG_3141.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features