• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help setting up 340 Indy's for my kids

G
Nov 28, 2007
St. Maries, Id.
I just purchased a couple 340 Indy sports for my kids. They are an 87' and 90' model year, both run just need to be tuned a bit. How are you guys setting up the carbs on these sleds? We run 3-6,000' for the most part. I've read through a few of the other threads that had newer 340's. Also would like to get some plastic skis for them as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I just purchased a couple 340 Indy sports for my kids. They are an 87' and 90' model year, both run just need to be tuned a bit. How are you guys setting up the carbs on these sleds? We run 3-6,000' for the most part. I've read through a few of the other threads that had newer 340's. Also would like to get some plastic skis for them as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure whether the carbs on the Sports are the same as the Lites?

I don't have my memory stick with the service manual but VB posted a picture of the jetting chart under the hood of his '94 Indy Lite here: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405753

I'm running 125 main jets(same as VB) at the same altitude range that you are planning to tune for. I haven't had much opportunity to tune mine but the sled still feels fat & the couple times I did look at the plugs they were plenty rich. Pretty sure I could run 120s if not even 115s. Kids will never hold it pinned long enough to burn it down anyway. LOL!

Assuming the carbs are the same you're probably safe to start with 125s & go from there. That said, none of this info. is a replacement for proper tuning. Gotta check the plugs!

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I run 120s and we run the 6 to 9000 ft here..i put in a gold spring with the 10m whites for the extra snap to take off..as Merlin states check plugs and as VB posted look under the hood for that decal it is on all older Polaris sleds.

ahh plastic skis I run the 99 to 02 rmk skis and they work great but thinking of putting my extra set of grippers on it or going with some original gen 1 Simmons..

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Any plastic skis you can pick up will be better than the sticky narrow steelies, but I second the suggestion for dual runner skis like Simmons or Skidoo skis.
By chance I ended up with a set of each when setting up my kids' sleds and they dart much less on the packed trails and made the kids feel more comfortable driving when they were less experienced.

Premium Features