• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Summit SP lost motor at 27 miles

J
Dec 10, 2017
Hey guys new to the forum here! So went out for my first ride on the 850 Sunday and was REALLY loving the new gen 4... After a good day of riding in decent snow and not being overly hard on the new motor we were on our way out when it sputtered and died. Tried to pull start the sled a couple times and it was VERY hard to pull and ended up just towing it back. After pulling it into the garage I can see the front of the motor covered in oil right below the Y pipe. Has anyone else heard of the 850’s doing this? Not overly thrilled spending that much money on a sled and not even being able to make it back to the pickup on the first ride. Thanks!

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Check your oil lines. So far I’ve read one persons Y pipe wasn’t secured / tightened correctly causing the exhaust heat to melt the near by oil lines.

Therefore, I’d guess you were loosing lubrication, one thing leading to the next, a seized engine.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience.

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Pull your exhaust size panel off, from the front of the pipe look beneath our y-pipe and see if your Oiler tube is intact.

Should look like yes. And yes, I used a selfie stick to get the picture.

602208decabb356b778d23387f7d3e3c.jpg

srw

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The 4 oil lines that lube bearings in my crank melted at 279 miles. Skidoo replaced entire motor under warranty. Just got sled back on Saturday

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I was actually going to post this picture (exact one as above) of my engine with 30 miles on it. Oil everywhere. Tube looks to be intact. Noticed when I had my can off last night. I guess I'll be contacting the dealer today.

picture.php

C

crackerjack

Dec 21, 2007
Lost motor at 45 miles and no oil line issue. Had a bad crank bearing from the factory was the determined cause. New motor and 600 miles later no issues. I didn't have any oil like you do on the motor.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Unfortunately these things will happen. Sucks when it happens to you, but should be fixed up pretty quick I’d think.

Lost a 07 800R motor with 50 miles, back in 07

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I was actually going to post this picture (exact one as above) of my engine with 30 miles on it. Oil everywhere. Tube looks to be intact. Noticed when I had my can off last night. I guess I'll be contacting the dealer today.

What did your dealer say? Just put the skid plate on my wife’s 18 and noticed oil had sprayed all over the front of the engine too.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
What did your dealer say? Just put the skid plate on my wife’s 18 and noticed oil had sprayed all over the front of the engine too.

Picking it up today. The dealer thinks it's coming from the exhaust (y-pipe - pipe connection), which hasn't "sealed" yet. Plausible, but still lame for a $15k sled. They cleaned it up, so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few rides.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Picking it up today. The dealer thinks it's coming from the exhaust (y-pipe - pipe connection), which hasn't "sealed" yet. Plausible, but still lame for a $15k sled. They cleaned it up, so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few rides.

I fully agree, kind of a weird problem to have on a 15k sled.

I had the same thought when I saw that my exhaust springs were painted black from oil on the side next to the seal.

Tears me apart to see that shiny brand new sled's engine bay already sprayed in oil!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Every new sled leaks a bit of oil out from the Y-pipe to Pipe gasket connection the first couple rides.

Doo just leaks more, it will quit after the first 2-3 rides. Just pull the pipe, clean off and re-install. Plus gives a excuse to visually check the rest of under hood area.

Last edited:
Premium Features