• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 pro rmk or 2013 rmk assault?

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
i like the 417 lbs of the pro rmk but coming off of an 09 M8 sno pro and having the thing beat through the bumps after a day of hard riding is making me re-think the pro and maybe try the assault!

i figure with the better shock package of the assault it would take the bumps and drops better.

i'm no slednecks rider but i do try some stupid stuff from time to time and i think i'm pretty decent on a sled!

i'm not buying an assault with the idea to go out and do retarded jumps but i have bottomed out my M8 lots and i'm sick of that now.

is there much trade off between the 2 other than ski stance?

assault at its narrowest ski stance, will i give up much to an equal rider of my ability on the pro rmk?

i know the track's are different but i would rather the assault track anyways.

another one of my concerns is engine reliability! i've read just about every thread i could find on this and i know its not as reliable as the M8 but i completely tear down the M8 about 3 times a year and check things out. i don't tear into the engine but i clean exhaust valve's, clutches and check compression! i do all my own repairs and i am very picky on what i do with my sleds!

i'm going to be buying within the next couple weeks and would just like to know what to look out for and your honest opinion on which rmk to buy.

thank you very much in advance! :rockon:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I'd go for the pro and either revalve the shocks or upgrade to exits. The assault shocks are good for stock shocks but no comparison to exits and the assault doesn't have the new belt drive. The wider arms do make a difference on how easy the sled maneuvers.

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
i originally wanted the pro rmk until i started thinking about the beating i take on the M8. i plan on doing the SLP stage 2 or 3 on the sled so upgrading shocks is a no go!

i was thinking about maybe putting a set of pro a-arm's on the assault but i'm not sure if the assault shocks will work with the narrower a-arms. i should add that i will be running on the groomed trails a fair amount but not near as much as i will be off trail. but enough to make me second guess the 2.4" and softer duro track on the pro.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I looked at checking an Assault (after M1000 Mod and Proclimb), but wanted the narrow stance for the riding we do here, which is the reason I switched to Poo in the first place. Plus I wanted the belt drive and the groovies the Pro came with.
My bud on his Pro scoots along the trails just fine, it depends on if you like the trails or not, he doesn't so doesn't care if the trail works well on trails, as long as it works off trail.
Personally, I like both, which is why I have always had two sleds, a mountain sled and a shorty. Uh, I mean why I have a mountain sled and my wife has a shorty........:)
It will always be a compromise. After I sold my PC, we got into spring riding and I finished the year on a 144 SnoPro 600 race sled. Every powder day I struggled on the hills, buddy with Pro excelled. Trail in and out I kicked butt. Once snow set up, my wide stance was much better than the narrow Pro in most conditions, especially sketchy downhills and jumps.
Always a compromise.......

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I went with the assaults for the exact same reason. I was coming off an m8. Shocks are great on the sleds IMO. I can't tell any problem with the stance and I have it set at the narrowest point. But, if I were buying a new sled this year I'd go with the pro just because it has the belt drive. Buy the pro the belt drive sounds worth it! And if you don't like the shocks just buy some exits!

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Last year at snowcheck time, it was a lot easier decision. Guys like M8Chris and I ordered Assaults with the 5.1 track, and are pretty stoked. This year it is a tougher choice.

As far as maneuverability, I have no problem with the Assault front end. I am a less-skilled rider and pretty darned skinny. Laying it up carving, and sidehilling is no problem for me. I know the Pro would be that much easier, but I am happy with how easy the Assault is to throw around. What helped me make the decision was realizing that the Assault at its narrowest setting is a half inch wider than the Pro at its widest setting. Also, not everybody and their dog has the Assault.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
If I were buying an assault I'd find a good 2012 with low low miles or holdover and save a couple grand. Throw on some airframes and you have a sled as good or better than a 13 assault.

X2.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The 13 Pro RMK has the latest greatest goodies that will give you the best bang for the buck in my opinion and yes cost a little more. Obviously you can not go wrong with either option but it is directly budget related.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK

X3
Might as well buy a 12 for a discount if you don't want the pro. I have both the assault and the pro and I agree that the assault shocks are much better than the pro, but a small upgrade in springs and some revalving and you can have your pro right there with the assault and have the more narrow stance and all the light weight goodies. Oh and by the time you get narrower arms on an Assault and have the shocks shortened (they won't fit otherwise), you might as well of bought a pro for the money IMO

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
i originally wanted the pro rmk until i started thinking about the beating i take on the M8. i plan on doing the SLP stage 2 or 3 on the sled so upgrading shocks is a no go!

i was thinking about maybe putting a set of pro a-arm's on the assault but i'm not sure if the assault shocks will work with the narrower a-arms. i should add that i will be running on the groomed trails a fair amount but not near as much as i will be off trail. but enough to make me second guess the 2.4" and softer duro track on the pro.

The 2011-12 rmk arms were too narrow for assault socks.
The 2013 rmk arms are narrower than the 2011-12 arms.

I'm guessing with a lot of certainty that you won't fit them.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would do a 13 over a hold over 12..the 13 has new part numbers for both the cylinder and the cases(most likely an upgrade for reliability)...search around, I think exit or raptor is making a triple spring kit for the stock pro shocks that really help and the 13 pro is supposed to have new springs and dampening already....besides..the belt drive is supposed to really make a diff..also..ride it before you go modding the motor..most find it is just fine stock,,,,,,,,

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
I would do a 13 over a hold over 12..the 13 has new part numbers for both the cylinder and the cases(most likely an upgrade for reliability)...search around, I think exit or raptor is making a triple spring kit for the stock pro shocks that really help and the 13 pro is supposed to have new springs and dampening already....besides..the belt drive is supposed to really make a diff..also..ride it before you go modding the motor..most find it is just fine stock,,,,,,,,
did they actually change anything with regards to the engine?

thats a big fear of mine! i want to actually get a year out of it

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State

Did they really make a change in the springs and the dampening ? Have you talked to anyone that got to ride a 13, did they notice a difference ?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
did they actually change anything with regards to the engine?

thats a big fear of mine! i want to actually get a year out of it
so far no one has seen parts on a bench to compare..but yes it looks like there is changes to both cylinder and cases..now with that said, make sure your pro burns at least 1 qt of oil per tank thru the oiler and then add 1 pt per tank in the fuel and you will help insure a more reliable sled.....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Did they really make a change in the springs and the dampening ? Have you talked to anyone that got to ride a 13, did they notice a difference ?
I havent ridden one endo..but word is the suspension has better springs and new dampning for 13 on the pro........

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

I put about 40 miles on one. I thought it rode better than the 11 and the 12 I traded with that day in the same conditions. ESPECIALLY on the studders and the whoops on the 10 mile road going in.

Premium Features