• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex belt squeal

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
I've got a bad belt squel on my apex. I'm guessing it is my belt deflection. Can someone tell me how to adjust belt deflection and what the proper settings should be? Thanks

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
if it squeals at an idle remove the three shims on the back side of the secondary. to do this remove the secondary and on the back side you'll see three small bolts. remove them with an 8mm socket then reinstall them without the shims (washers).

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The three bolts are a normal wear item. Do as stated above and if the squeal is still there then replace the bolts. As they get shorter the tighter the secondary is and voila you get the squeal.

Belt Squeal

Don't forget to ensure you're belt is no more the 1mm over the top of the secondary sheave. Or you can change out your belt and keep the worn one for a spare. While you have your belt off it also gives you a good opportunity to clean your clutches. Good luck!

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Thanks guys. Should I replace the bolts or is it ok to just remove them? If they are a wear item sounds like I should replace them. Also is there an adjustment on the secondary that adjusts how high the belt sits, such as no more than 1mm as stated above. Thanks again

Squeal

The bolts and spacers/shims on the back are what you use to open or close the sheaves. You don't replace the bolts.

V-belt position Adjustment
More than 1.5 mm
(0.06 in) above the
edge
Remove a spacer

From 1.5 mm (0.06 in)
above the edge to

0.5 mm (0.02 in)

below the edge
Not necessary
(It is correct.)

More than

(
0.5 mm0.02 in) below the

edge

Add spacer

Hopefully this helps and when its says remove a spacer it means one from under each of the bolts. Same for installing

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
belt

You adjust the height that the belt sits in the secondary with these 3 bolts. The belt can sit anywhere from .06 inches above to .02 inches below the sheave. Be sure to check your belt width. New they are 1.34" and should be no more than 1.28" once it gets worn, if it is too worn and you try adjusting the shims you will be completely off when you put a new belt in it. If the belt sits to high remove a spacer under each bolt until it is within spec. Clean the sheaves good as well.

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
The bolts and spacers/shims on the back are what you use to open or close the sheaves. You don't replace the bolts.

V-belt position Adjustment
More than 1.5 mm
(0.06 in) above the
edge
Remove a spacer

From 1.5 mm (0.06 in)
above the edge to

0.5 mm (0.02 in)

below the edge
Not necessary
(It is correct.)

More than

(
0.5 mm0.02 in) below the

edge

Add spacer

Hopefully this helps and when its says remove a spacer it means one from under each of the bolts. Same for installing

you have to replace these from time to time because they get hammered down from secondary openig and closing all the time.just replaced mine and they were more than a 1/16 short all shims gone and still too tight. had to replace them..

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
The bolts need to be replaced from time to time.

I waited too long on my Mtn Max one year and it caused problems. The ends of the bolts can get out of shape. When I removed them, it ended up messing up the threads a little. Luckily, the new bolts still held. They aren't that expensive. I usually carry a spare set in the sled in case someone needs them.LOL

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
I appreciate all of the replies. I will take a look tonight and let you guys know what I find out. The sled only has about 600 miles with boost. Most likely it sounds like I will need to remove a shim...the belt is brand new with one ride on it.

Thanks

Premium Features