• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Google Maps & driving time..9 vs 40

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Ok, this is pretty odd.

I have a map I use to mark some of the common lots and I calculated driving time/distance last year to a few of the points.
Anyway, I was playin around with it again and driving time has increased dramatically when using highway 9 (through silverthorn) vs using highway 40 (through grandby).

Before using 9 was always faster by ~20 mins and 10 miles.
Now 9 is slower by 20 minutes...
Has the speed limit been lowered on 9 from Silverthorn to Kremmling?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co
Not sure about the speed limit Rotax. How long does it take to get to RE from Longmont? Do you go to silverthorn then up or the Grandby way?

From Ft. Collins I always go up 14 poudre canyon or to Larimie and over both about the same time wise about 2hr45min.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
sometimes, well most the time i ran over eisenhower and up 9...
i tried 40 a few times last year and it wasnt bad once you got down the backside of berthoud.
40 is much more laid back.. but freeway i can sometimes make good time...but its a gamble.

i'll prob be running 40 more, specially with the trailer.. w/o a trailer i can 65+ all the way to ears.

its 2.75 - 3.5 hrs depending on where I park, and road conditions..and traffic..

just found it curious for the route / time change on google..

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
9 is still faster

I got some family that live in Kremling. They swear that 9 is still faster to d-town then 40, yet hwy 40 has less coppers and traffic.

Kid Rock

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Steamboat Lake, CO
i did both one day

from denver to AMS and timed/clocked it for kicks. 40 is shorter but takes longer due to BP and all the greenies on the way to wp who drive in snow 3 times per year.

9/40 is longer but hammer down just get a good bumper for all the deer. Kremmling to REP is nasty sometimes, look at all the carcasses when the snow melts in the spring!

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
On week days, 9 is faster. Weekend east bound ski traffic on I-70 is horrific. Now that Berthoud has been widened, the pass is faster to I-70/40 interchange and you by pass all the skiers from Beaver Creek, Vail, Cooper,
Copper, Breckenridge, A basin, and Loveland.

We have made the test with one rig going 9 and the other going 40, and 40 was almost 1/2 hr. faster.

BCB

B
Nov 9, 2008
higway 9

they have not changed the speed limit. mostly 55, turns to 65 about 1/2 way through green moutain res.
i live 29 miles north of silverthorne (spring creek), drive to dillon daily, watch for cops on weekends, mostly hang out around ute pass and between spring creek and kremmling

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I got some family that live in Kremling. They swear that 9 is still faster to d-town then 40, yet hwy 40 has less coppers and traffic.

I live in Kremmling and 9 is faster. Maybe Google is taking into account all of the seasonal traffic that is gonna clog the roadways leading into Summit County.

As for cops not being on 40, that is a falsehood. East Grand County is infested with deputys, Winter Park has it's own police force and so does Granby. Also CSP really enjoys hiding on 40 between HSS and Parshall. They nail a ton of peeps!

I NEVER take 40 to Denver.

BTW,who is your fam living in K-Town, maybe I know them.

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
I find 9 to be faster, too - I guess if it were 8am on a Saturday, MAYBE 40, but I'd just get up an hour and a half earlier.

I've done the trip countless times, and 9 is faster, every single time.

Iain

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I agree with Iain, even living on 40 9 i faster by nearly 30 minutes, done both 7 timed both MANY times last year heading to work & play.

The only exception is on a sat morning after 8 or so, you can lose a ton of time on 70, my buddy beat me to ears by 20 minutes one day taking 40 when we got up late (left at 9)

My gps (tomtom) does the same thing now, not sure why it's off by over 1 hour to kremmling (it's a 1 hr drive & the gps says over 2!!) wtf?

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
My gps (tomtom) does the same thing now, not sure why it's off by over 1 hour to kremmling (it's a 1 hr drive & the gps says over 2!!) wtf?

yeah see, thats my main curiosity.

didn't mean this to be another 'which ways faster' topic. :p
but its good to know either way.
i just wanna know why googles (and other mapping software) has changed in time so drastically!

haha

thanks for the feedback.

Q
Dec 6, 2007
U Can Dooit

Yeah, I think u should go 285 to fairplay, then to Breck, to Silverthorne, to Kremmling, to RE, then we will all have a chance at some fresh pow before u git there.:D

C
Oct 6, 2008
I agree with Iain, even living on 40 9 i faster by nearly 30 minutes, done both 7 timed both MANY times last year heading to work & play.

The only exception is on a sat morning after 8 or so, you can lose a ton of time on 70, my buddy beat me to ears by 20 minutes one day taking 40 when we got up late (left at 9)

Day light savings is putting it off is my guess, I had that issue with mine as it didnt switch itself over.

Premium Features