• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT: TETHER ADAPTER FOR THE 850-AXYS TO CAT MAGNETIC

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Im currently working by the end of this week to have harnesses made up for the plug used on Arctic Cats tether, and being asked to attach the DT04-2P plug on the other end of the harness to plug in AC tether into main harness of the 850.

If I get enough request I can have sets made up but need to know who and exactly how long the harness needs to be in between each plug as I don't own a polaris?
The plug used on the back of the AC tether I had to get from the UK in bulk, the DT04-2P plug you can get almost anywhere.

Moderator Note:
Any and all discussions related to availability, pricing, sales, delivery, orders etc must be posted here.
Clickable Link ---> https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4169485

Last edited by a moderator:

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Hello everyone here is the harness that Im making up that can be used to plug in magnetic tether from AC onto the 850, I need someone to let me know the distance between the two plugs so I can make sure I have enough length of wire on these to plug both ends in. Rather have longer than to short.

attachment.php

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05469.JPG
    DSC05469.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,650
N
Dec 19, 2010
Im currently working by the end of this week to have harnesses made up for the plug used on Arctic Cats tether, and being asked to attach the DT04-2P plug on the other end of the harness to plug in AC tether into main harness of the 850.

If I get enough request I can have sets made up but need to know who and exactly how long the harness needs to be in between each plug as I don't own a polaris?
The plug used on the back of the AC tether I had to get from the UK in bulk, the DT04-2P plug you can get almost anywhere.

Which style AC Tether are we talking about? I trying to play catch up.

Never mind, I'm caught up, normally open, says wiring is included, this include the plug I wonder? is Poo not normally closed?

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-8639-075-safety-tether-switch-2018-zr-xf-m-9000

8639-075-7.jpg

8639-075-8.jpg

8639-075-10.jpg

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-8639-075-safety-tether-switch-2018-zr-xf-m-9000

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Which style AC Tether are we talking about? I trying to play catch up.

Never mind, I'm caught up, normally open, says wiring is included, this include the plug I wonder? is Poo not normally closed?

Mis-print on the wiring included, there is no harness included in that kit, the harness is hard wired into the main engine harness on new 2019 AC sleds, and also 2019 yamaha's sense yamaha shares the same chassis as AC.

Im taking the time to create harnesses that will tap into main harness just like the old black rubber nippled design tether.

I don't include the tether, just the harness.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Here is the harness Ive made up for the 850's that go from AC magnetic tether to the sleds factory harness plug.

attachment.php

8639-075-8.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05505.JPG
    DSC05505.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,572

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Ok... heres what may be a stupid question.... How long have these tethers been out there??

How well do they work in severe snow conditions from blower pow to Coastal cement??

After installing it on a Sidewinder it works great, I would say it could get snow in between the two but like any other tether snow always gets stuck in between but the magnet is very powerful, i was able to hold key not clipped into base and it would still start sled, that tells me even with a small gap of ice or snow in between the magnets it still will work. No testing on very very cold temps, thats still to come.
My understanding is the tether is new for 2019 and AC and Yammi did have some sleds with wiring in some 2018 and even a one I've seen 2017 AC but the tether from my understanding was only available after this last season.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Now based on my information so far AC sells two magnetic tethers with last three part numbers ending in 075 for the four stroke 9000 and 074 for two stroke sleds. Issue I'm having is verifying the plugs on back of tether is the same on both units, Im about 95% sure they are. BUT I don't know if the electronics inside the tether is different from two stroke to four stroke. Im still trying to figure out waiting for dealer to call me back what the real difference is between the two part numbers.

Ill keep everyone posted, as of now the 075 part number for 9000 AC DOES work on Sidewinders two so far are hooked up I know about and are working great. I have a harness Im making that will work for the 850's BUT I need to know if two strokes HAVE to have the 074 part number tether or if it even matters. Soon as I connected the magnetic 075 tether to Sidewinder it worked right away no issues no programming etc.

Ill keep everyone posted on my findings on difference between the two tethers, anyone else who knows please chime in.

Also IM trying to find out if the wiring has to be done in proper sequence from factory on the 850 harness Im working on, hoping to test the one harness I have made up on an 850 but I can't find any available yet at the dealer or even a dealer willing to let me blow one up testing one. LOL

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Now based on my information so far AC sells two magnetic tethers with last three part numbers ending in 075 for the four stroke 9000 and 074 for two stroke sleds. Issue I'm having is verifying the plugs on back of tether is the same on both units, Im about 95% sure they are. BUT I don't know if the electronics inside the tether is different from two stroke to four stroke. Im still trying to figure out waiting for dealer to call me back what the real difference is between the two part numbers.

Ill keep everyone posted, as of now the 075 part number for 9000 AC DOES work on Sidewinders two so far are hooked up I know about and are working great. I have a harness Im making that will work for the 850's BUT I need to know if two strokes HAVE to have the 074 part number tether or if it even matters. Soon as I connected the magnetic 075 tether to Sidewinder it worked right away no issues no programming etc.

Ill keep everyone posted on my findings on difference between the two tethers, anyone else who knows please chime in.

Also IM trying to find out if the wiring has to be done in proper sequence from factory on the 850 harness Im working on, hoping to test the one harness I have made up on an 850 but I can't find any available yet at the dealer or even a dealer willing to let me blow one up testing one. LOL

If these magnetic tethers are going to any problem at all I would expect it will be the 4 stroke model as the magnet must hold contacts together to make it run. Any switch bounce and the sled will miss-fire unless the manufacturer has built into the ECU a time delay to ignore it. We saw this with our earlier Phantom Teth-Air design with a spring closed relay (Normally Closed) Engine vibration caused switch bounce and engine stutter like hitting the rev-limiter. The 2 stroke models are easier to deal with because the magnet keeps the switch open and the spring closes when the magnet is pulled away. If the contacts bounce its okay as long as they don't bounce too far and make connection. If you get any engine stuttering, suspect the tether.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
If these magnetic tethers are going to any problem at all I would expect it will be the 4 stroke model as the magnet must hold contacts together to make it run. Any switch bounce and the sled will miss-fire unless the manufacturer has built into the ECU a time delay to ignore it. We saw this with our earlier Phantom Teth-Air design with a spring closed relay (Normally Closed) Engine vibration caused switch bounce and engine stutter like hitting the rev-limiter. The 2 stroke models are easier to deal with because the magnet keeps the switch open and the spring closes when the magnet is pulled away. If the contacts bounce its okay as long as they don't bounce too far and make connection. If you get any engine stuttering, suspect the tether.

You would expect I put to the test, Ive been testing the sensitive of the tether for the exact point you make, and the sled will still run if I hover the key above the base part of tether by almost 5 mm and not snapped into place and the sled still ran. 100% the tether not even snapped into place sled will still run, once i pull the key more than about 5mm away from base it shuts down.

Even Bill Jacobson who is now sending my ROV to me using the new Magnetic tether acknowledge this that the magnet is so strong when you even get the lanyard close to the switch it still runs.
He stated its a great tether.
Looks like ill be the first to have his ROV on a four stroke with a magnetic tether. to me a guy with over 10 years doing ROV I trust his opinion.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
To the 850 owners out there looking to put the AC tether on your sleds, I have my AC two stroke magnetic tether showing up tomorrow to start my testing on using this tether with your sleds using my harness I'm making to help everyone connect it to sled. Please know I working on it as fast as possible but wanted everyone looking to get the magnetic tether to get your orders in to your local AC dealers, Im getting information on the two stroke version tether releasing on 9th Nov. My two month back order four stroke AC magnetic tether finally came in yesterday so I believe thats a sign the two strokes are almost ready to go out to buyers.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
After many days working to get testing done on the NEW Arctic Cat Magnetic tether part #8639-074 (two stroke version) being used on the new Polaris 850's, the answer is YES. As of today we fully tested a new 850 using Arctic Cats Magnetic tether plug and play harness I've designed needed to run it on the 850.

Not only did it work great it would still run the sled up to a 1/4 inch distance between the key and base unit of tether to prove how strong the magnet is on the tether.

So anyone interested in getting JUST the harness I offer get ahold of me in a PM and Ill get you set up with one.

Thanks to everyone's help passing me information to help me get to this point.
Its going to be a great tether system for anyone looking to get away from the old style tethers

https://youtu.be/aXh3yGHS4aM

Last edited:

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
That doesn't look like a regular Deutch connector on the AC tether side,..

The plug on the back side of tether is totally different than the Deutch Connector, special locking sealed plug. Also testing shows wiring into tether requires the correct wire sequence in order to work. Testing was not easy when it comes to allowing me to test on a BRAND new 850.

Premium Features