• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 850 belt problem

L
Jan 23, 2018
Hello, anyone found any solition to lower to tempratures on the clutches? Someone tried doodoctors floating qrs kit? Helix, spring, ramp combination that actually lower the temp alot?

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Hello, anyone found any solition to lower to tempratures on the clutches? Someone tried doodoctors floating qrs kit? Helix, spring, ramp combination that actually lower the temp alot?

Have you started with removing the felt and bottom half if clutch cover? Add a couple of side vents and that helps alot. There are several clutch kits out there.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
With the vents installed on my two the temps haven’t been to bad. Over 300 miles no problems

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
Still breaking in my '18 175, at 60%. It's all stock, just removed foam and trimmed bottom 2" of clutch guard.

Today we had a fresh 20" of wet heavy snow and on a couple climbs I peeked down at the gauge and it was pulling 8k RPM with 40MPH track speed. Got to the top and I couldn't touch the clutches. This is my 4th Doo and they've always been hot, but this this was another level of hot. The belt looked good, green sides, no dust, no smell.

Despite the million threads on clutching I feel like this sled is performing great, heat aside. Backshift feels good, power is on tap when I need it, and good consistent track speed, so I'm not going to mess with it yet. I'm used to a lower engagement RPM, but I don't see any issue with 4k. I can still sidehill at a walking pace and she's running smooth.

Time will tell if the heat grenades my belt. I'm watching these threads closely and also looking for personal experience on lower temps with all these clutch kits.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I blew two more belts on Monday so that puts me at 5 in 900mi. After pounding away all morning in poor vis to get up top when it finally cleared the group decided there were no cool down breaks allowed and it was pin at will until two of scattered our belts. so I don’t know what to say it was totally worth it and totally expected belt murder....gates belts last longer for me and half the price and come with a warranty so I don’t really care when it’s that epic deep and untracked I just bring three spares and feed the monster

L
Jan 23, 2018
Something must help to solve the problem why they get hot in the first place. You just vent to air out with blowhole But the clutches still get veryvery hot. Is the belt slipping? Do a floating qrs help? Shim motormounts?

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
This is a BIG problem here in Finland, those sled dont work! Belts dont last long. People are angry.. Motor is moving, too soft mounting.. Bad brp....

G
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
This is a BIG problem here in Finland, those sled dont work! Belts dont last long. People are angry.. Motor is moving, too soft mounting.. Bad brp....
Same thing here in Sweden, my brother blew his belt after a 50 yard climb. Dont know one without big belt issues... And they still claim that brp makes the best sleds and buy new belt eaters the next year thinking the problems is fixed. Now i know why they sell shoes with velcro ?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Ya Noronas 5 percent were having problems last year was a load of crap, everyone I talk with says the same tune

Talking with Rene st Onge this last week he is on belt three now with just over 3600km on his sled on his 18-165... Last year at this time he was over 16 belts so far and a motor

He says this 18 sled is tuned much differently and he just has the bottom of belt guard cut.. Everything else is stock on it.. Even the can

The other day he did a seven minute wot pull up a long mountain in crazy deep snow and never blew a belt, but does need a car wash every week to clean engine compartment of belt dust..he says he is averaging 2.5 litres of oil a day when running hard.. But happy with the 850 so far

As for myself, the stock 850 has been running good, on this second motor, this last week I did a 100 second wot pull up a mountain in deep snow, took belt cover off and did a quick temp of clutches.. Found secondary at 73c and primary at 73c at the bottom and at the top it was at 104c, or 225f.. Pretty sure I could of cooked eggs and bacon that pull.. But belt now with 600km on it looks fine still..

The pdrive I think is still leaving power on the table, every time I look down it shows 8000 rpm on a pull, but max rpm is always 8400.. There is something still wrong.. Clutch is still allowing a over rev some where in the rpm profile..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3 2017 850s, 1 2018 850.
All still on OEM Belts.
Still waiting to blow my first belt.

Have SIX spare belts I have NEVER touched.

Taking all of them to BC with me in 2 weeks for the SnoWest Forum Ride.
Maybe the snow up north is WILDLY different than what we have here in the Tetons and I will suddenly start blowing multiple belts per day.

Will be MIGHTY INTERESTED to see if that actually happens or not.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Out on a night ride last night. Buddy just put his 3 or 4th belt on (dont remeber which one, pretty sure its 4th) at under 600 miles.... Pretty sweet. 2018 154 3"

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
For those blowing belts, my question is what have you already tried to remedy the heat?, and what altitude do you ride.
Anything under about 8K ft HAS to have weight added and/or a spring change.
Generally adding 4-6g to weight adjustment bolt, little to no RPM change, less heat,

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Did he break in any of those belts?
Clean sheaves and put them on at the shop so 10-15 miles of trail in to start them off, not putting them on new and hammering them right out of the gate.

We are generally riding 8-10k out here.

Winter, thanks for the heads up, we have plenty of leftover weighted washers from turbo kits so we can throw a few grams at it to see if that helps settle temps down. We were riding fairly aggressively, but it was dark out so you can't get too crazy and clutches were too hot to touch, burn your hands even after a few minutes with the panel open.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Clean sheaves and put them on at the shop so 10-15 miles of trail in to start them off, not putting them on new and hammering them right out of the gate.

It would be interesting for him to ride my sled and for me to ride his sled for a couple hundred miles to see how much of this is the sled vs the rider and how he operates it. This will never happen of course, but...

My clutches get blazing hot for sure, but I do stop a fair bit and open the side cover and pull the clutch cover to let them cool. I did just get a Blow Hole so I should be able to ride longer and park to let clutches cool less...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
It would be interesting for him to ride my sled and for me to ride his sled for a couple hundred miles to see how much of this is the sled vs the rider and how he operates it. This will never happen of course, but...

My clutches get blazing hot for sure, but I do stop a fair bit and open the side cover and pull the clutch cover to let them cool. I did just get a Blow Hole so I should be able to ride longer and park to let clutches cool less...
This seems to be the nail in the coffin on the G4's, not stopping and letting them cool down or just prolonged high load riding and belts exceed survivable temps and come apart. Side panels don't get opened. Usually stopping is because somebody got stuck. Grab a quick drink of water and maybe a snack and get back at it. Aside from bad stucks the sleds don't sit shut off for more then 10 minutes unless its really nice out and you just want to enjoy the weather. It doesn't take the hardest riding on the planet to have crazy high temps. Just sustained riding.

Premium Features