• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raze wingman ECU testing

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
So this is my finding this weekend, snow is comming so I decided to do some testing befor I take the wheels off and put the tracks back on.

The bikes are a 2014 KTM 450 SX and a 2013 KTM 450 XC.

So I lined the 2 bikes up in my field and drag raced them like 6-7 times with my riding buddy and the results were the same every time in 600 ft the SX would put 5-6 bike lengths every time on my XC , yes the transmissions are different so I expected the SX to be faster in this situation, and it was, so that was my base line, we also tried several 3rd gear roll ons and the SX was still faster, as I expected.

Went in to the shop and started the install of the new ECU on the XC first, I ordered the kits for both bikes in September and they were out of the harness adapter from the old harness to the new ECU, so I waited patiently and was called last week and Raze has decided to instead ship me a new 2018 harness, so stated taking the bike apart and while the harness is different it all went in well, I did have a hiccup with the plug to the MAP sensor and I called them at 5pm and Chris’s called me back in 5 minutes( amazing service)
Got that worked out and the bike back together, I started the bike and immediately could tell the throttle response is is wayyy better and crisp!

It was raining so it sat in the shop till I could get out yesterday after noon, I called my bud to come over so I could race him again, WOW now the XC was right there with my SX and even beat it by a wheel once! It wheelies with ease in 3 gear now, also the XC is geared taller and seemed to grow longer legs as the further we went the XC stated pulling away on top!

So in the shop to now do the SX, same ordeal had to change out the harness, this time it was easier, since I now know the routing, the old harness and the new one are different but it all make sense when you route it like a 2018 instead of trying to make the 18 route like a 14(stupid me)so this morning called my bud over again and WOW is the SX fast! Now it just pulls away from my XC hard, we pulled the XC in the shop because we thought something got un plugged ,NOT !! ,the midrange is amazing with great response everywhere, and good over rev, I think I actually hit the limiter on the SX once it’s about 30 degrees out and the response on both bikes are verry crisp, I have now decided to gear the SX taller so I can get a little more top end from the timbersled chain case(thanks to mike at snowbike kits .com), So so far great results! Also Chris told me to run 91 premium with ethanol yes with ethanol it make the most power with it!

My riding bud is bringing his 15 big bore KTM 450 and his 520 race bike over later today,,, will let you know more later!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Also want to say after talking with Chris that this ECU with the baraometric sensor is way more than just a ECU with advance timing, it’s enhanced everywhere as My bikes are not the same bike with just more total timing, more thought went into this, and it shows! No I don’t work for RAZE! Now the Price ,,,,which I think is a major hurdle, to me is now a moot point,This is the REAL deal and now looking forward to the snow this year!you get what you pay for and results make it well worth it to me!

Last edited:
T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
I thought the 14 SX-F 450 and 13 XC-F 450 shared the same close range 5 speed transmission? Is your 13 an XC-W?
Thanks for posting the info you've discovered. Great to hear some feedback!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
No it’s an XC ,,,I think 1-2 gears are the same but 5th is way taller on the XC

Last edited:
K
Sep 22, 2016
Bend, Or
Could you elaborate more on the direction your going with gearing please? I have an ECU (PR2) on the way and would like to have gearing options ready to go. I couldn’t find snowbikes.com as you had posted.

Snowman269

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2010
CO, MN, MI
I was thinking about buying one kit, to try it out, but it sure sounds like I'll have to buy 2 along with the heated bars. Dammit this stuff is expensive.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Could you elaborate more on the direction your going with gearing please? I have an ECU (PR2) on the way and would like to have gearing options ready to go. I couldn’t find snowbikes.com as you had posted.

I’m gearing for more top end only on the SX as first gear is all but useless now ,,,I’m going to try 18 top and a 16 bottom in the gear case.,,,and sorry it’s (snowbikekits.com)and curious does the PR-2 have a baro sensor? Or is it just manipulated timing, does it look at the TPS and change fuel with the MAP sensor?

Last edited:
H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
I'll be getting my first ride in before the wkd, I have the raze ECU on a 17 husky fx450, and have a buddy on a 16 fc450 but stock ECU, both on SX120's. I feel like it's going to be a pretty good comparison. We're both running 18/16 gearing in the case too.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'll be getting my first ride in before the wkd, I have the raze ECU on a 17 husky fx450, and have a buddy on a 16 fc450 but stock ECU, both on SX120's. I feel like it's going to be a pretty good comparison. We're both running 18/16 gearing in the case too.

I’m very interested in this comparison.

K
Sep 22, 2016
Bend, Or
I’m gearing for more top end only on the SX as first gear is all but useless now ,,,I’m going to try 18 top and a 16 bottom in the gear case.,,,and sorry it’s (snowbikekits.com)and curious does the PR-2 have a baro sensor? Or is it just manipulated timing, does it look at the TPS and change fuel with the MAP sensor?

I’m new to the ECU game but I chatted with both owners, great guys My limited understanding is that the GET ECU (Raze) has the baro that calculates constantly. Vortex ECU (PR2) calculates on start up. Beyond that it’s mainly the tune based on the programmer. PR2 has a lot of moto experience with many race teams over decades. Raze seems to be concentrated on Snowbikes and very invested in this market. The GET has had reliability issues in the past, a blizzard is no place to be unsure of my machine. I believe Jeff at PR2 had worked with GETs but gone back to Vortex units. Both products/companies have strong arguments but for the price difference, PR2 got my money. I was impressed with Jeff and confident with his long experience on engines. I don’t need to calculate pressure or altitude a 1000 times a min or adjust my tune with my iPhone for an extra $500. Rarely do I climb thousands of feet without stopping or taking a break.
There is a few good threads on here with lots of good info on PR2. However nowhere have I found solid numbers comparing the two. Raze mentioned they had a trial planned with a dyno comparing ECUs at varied altitudes but I have yet to see any findings or reports.
Disclaimer, to all the “know it alls” waiting to jump on me about my limited or wrong info. Go for it, I’m here to learn! I’m sure there a ton of differences, the only thing i do know is that they will both up the fun factor.

Better yet, call Jeff at PR2 and ask him about the baro sensor. His info is in the main PR2 thread here.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere

Sweet ,really want to hear how the gearing works? Should be a good test on the ECU also! What temp thermostats are you guys running, I have the thermo bob with a 195 in it and have a 205 comming,

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I’m new to the ECU game but I chatted with both owners, great guys My limited understanding is that the GET ECU (Raze) has the baro that calculates constantly. Vortex ECU (PR2) calculates on start up. Beyond that it’s mainly the tune based on the programmer. PR2 has a lot of moto experience with many race teams over decades. Raze seems to be concentrated on Snowbikes and very invested in this market. The GET has had reliability issues in the past, a blizzard is no place to be unsure of my machine. I believe Jeff at PR2 had worked with GETs but gone back to Vortex units. Both products/companies have strong arguments but for the price difference, PR2 got my money. I was impressed with Jeff and confident with his long experience on engines. I don’t need to calculate pressure or altitude a 1000 times a min or adjust my tune with my iPhone for an extra $500. Rarely do I climb thousands of feet without stopping or taking a break.
There is a few good threads on here with lots of good info on PR2. However nowhere have I found solid numbers comparing the two. Raze mentioned they had a trial planned with a dyno comparing ECUs at varied altitudes but I have yet to see any findings or reports.
Disclaimer, to all the “know it alls” waiting to jump on me about my limited or wrong info. Go for it, I’m here to learn! I’m sure there a ton of differences, the only thing i do know is that they will both up the fun factor.

Better yet, call Jeff at PR2 and ask him about the baro sensor. His info is in the main PR2 thread here.

All I know is that the Raze ECU with alpha N works like the stock Polaris ECU and I do ride from 8K to 11K without stopping ,not saying the PR2 doesn't work but if I'm paying for an ECU for more performance I want what I think works best for how I ride, I think since Raze is snow bike specific and actually have invested in the snow bike world and tested heavily on the snow them selves, I feel more confident that it will work where I am using the ECU If I had to stop my turbo axsys every 1000 ft of elevation change to get it to run clean ,I'm not sure I would be happy, just saying.:face-icon-small-hap but glad we have choices!

Snowman269

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2010
CO, MN, MI
Thanks for this awesome post! :face-icon-small-hap

I ordered 1 Wingman kit and 2 sets of heated bars, and I can't wait.

They are out of Upgraded wiring harnesses so I have to send mine in to have the connector swapped out, but it's N/C. :juggle:

Really looking forward to ride!

P.S. I asked about reverting the bike back to dirt in the summer, they are going to setup the PCM with 2 maps and a switch to revert to dirt so I don't have to remove or mess with the wiring again. That's a nice feature.

Last edited:
H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I have a 16 Timbersled ST, where can I get these different sized gears? I am planning on the wingman kit next year but this year I am interested in changing the gears or drivers... any input?

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I have a 16 Timbersled ST, where can I get these different sized gears? I am planning on the wingman kit next year but this year I am interested in changing the gears or drivers... any input?

Any shop that sells the timbersleds should either have the gears in stock, or be able get some in. I picked up a 16 and 18 and a couple lock washers for my my 16 LT for about 85$ in BC. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Premium Features