• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's talk about this BRC 500 kit

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Anyone have more info on this? Looks really interesting. Counterbalanced e start 500 for the KTM 250/300. It was brought up in another thread but I felt it deserved it's own.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Anyone have more info on this? Looks really interesting. Counterbalanced e start 500 for the KTM 250/300. It was brought up in another thread but I felt it deserved it's own.

Observation and speculations

Appears it’s based on the pre 17 motor.
So old style e start. (Fail)

Also the efi thats fit to the newer ktm motor won’t be an easy option.

No mention of a stronger rod or crank?
Will that katoom piece hold up?

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I know the old starter system was less than perfect, but I think alot more of us have them than the 17and later. As for the tpi, the jury is still out. Hopefully it will offer great power, mileage, and tunability, but I would bet that there will be growing pains. Personally I am optimistic, probably because I have seen how good a 1/2 liter 2 stroke does in the snow. Drawback was always how hard they can be to restart after a "situation" gets resolved. I believe that they are including a complete crank as well as exhaust system as well.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have been following it a bit. It's their own head, jug, piston, crank and cases using the internal gearing, clutch and water pump out of the ktm.

Great design and I hope it works out.

I really think the only market for it is a snowbike. Not many fellas can even hold on to a 450 properly in dirt.

It's real tough to make over 70hp on a 500 2 stroke bike. Been working at it quite awhile myself. They are going to have to do their homework.

The efi thing in my mind is a complete and total waste of time. Take 10mins and learn how to tune a carb. I've been down the road of diy efi and nothing about it is simple, cheap, or quick. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Their setup could be great. Will be anxious to see how it goes. Certainly nice to have another option than the dwindling supply of kx and cr 5s

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I have been following it a bit. It's their own head, jug, piston, crank and cases using the internal gearing, clutch and water pump out of the ktm.

Great design and I hope it works out.

I really think the only market for it is a snowbike. Not many fellas can even hold on to a 450 properly in dirt.

It's real tough to make over 70hp on a 500 2 stroke bike. Been working at it quite awhile myself. They are going to have to do their homework.

The efi thing in my mind is a complete and total waste of time. Take 10mins and learn how to tune a carb. I've been down the road of diy efi and nothing about it is simple, cheap, or quick. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Their setup could be great. Will be anxious to see how it goes. Certainly nice to have another option than the dwindling supply of kx and cr 5s

I feel the same way about the only real market being snowbikes, but there are some guys over on KTM talk that are excited about this motor for desert bikes and such.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So if this becomes a reality, what gearbox would you guys choose? 5speed xcw is easy to find used, and I would think that a 500 would have the torque to fill the gaps in. 6 speed just seems like you would be shifting too much, although you could pull some tall azz gearing.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I'd do the 6 speed as well. The only time I ever get run on with my 500 is on a big lake bed or something by my buddy on his 6 speed bored out 640 or whatever it is. It's not the power because it seems like I have him everywhere else...it's being able to bang an extra gear I don't have. I wouldn't want to make my gearing taller because I really could care less about going fast across flat boring stuff and prefer the gears stacked for the steeps....I'm actually switching to the black bottom end on my 500 for the close ratio 4th and 5th.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I wonder what life expectancy of the transmissions will be on these? I punched out a quad motor that made 34hp stock to close to 60hp for MX and the transmission was a constant hassle to keep in it. I guess a 250SX is almost 50hp stock so a jump to 70 isn't quite as drastic of a change, but it would still be in the back of my mind.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I thought about the tranny as well. I know that they build 250sx motors that run on methanol for karting, and they make over 70hp from what I have been told.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Talked to BRC today and evidently these will be in circulation late winter. Evidently there is a throttle body injection system in the works as well. Interesting stuff. I for one will be watching their facebook page for progress. Conservative HP #s in the 70 range on pump fuel is the target.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The transmission should be fine, if it'll hold 50 hp at sea level it'll hold 70 at elevation which will make it closer to 50 above 6000 feet. Another question is who is going to make the pipe.

M5

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Observation and speculations

Appears it’s based on the pre 17 motor.
So old style e start. (Fail)

Also the efi thats fit to the newer ktm motor won’t be an easy option.

No mention of a stronger rod or crank?
Will that katoom piece hold up?

This is my take on it.

17 is counter balanced with better starter, and now EFI on the way.

Already behind the 8 ball, for many potential buyers.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The transmission should be fine, if it'll hold 50 hp at sea level it'll hold 70 at elevation which will make it closer to 50 above 6000 feet. Another question is who is going to make the pipe.

M5

Supposedly, NPP will be one of the companies involved in pipe development. This would be ideal, as Neil has awesome product and snow experience! Hopefully he will build a twinwall pipe for this application.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
This is my take on it.

17 is counter balanced with better starter, and now EFI on the way.

Already behind the 8 ball, for many potential buyers.

This motor is also counterbalanced. Personally if Im going to spend big $$$$ on motor , I have no issue using a slightly older chassis. I dont feel that the benefits of slightly lighter, more modern, and alot more expensive bike shine through on the snow like they do on the dirt. If a person has a race team budget, obviously things could be different.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
70 on pump fuel will be real tough. when i was at 70 i was running 100 octane.

This cylinder has different port dimensions than any of the dated 1/2 liter motors that have been available, and theoretically, that is the difference. Along with case reed induction, modern ignition, tuned exhaust, etc.

M
Jan 14, 2004
This motor is also counterbalanced. Personally if Im going to spend big $$$$ on motor , I have no issue using a slightly older chassis. I dont feel that the benefits of slightly lighter, more modern, and alot more expensive bike shine through on the snow like they do on the dirt. If a person has a race team budget, obviously things could be different.

I hear what you are saying about race team budget. As far as older chassis goes it depends I guess on what you call old. Old for me is the steelie CR KX etc. The biggest difference in chassis is not the aluminum vs steel its the geometry. My steel CR is a great deep snow ride because of the fork angle. It really puts the ski out there which helps lift the bike in the deep. In the spring that same geometry sucks and makes the bike want to go straight which wears you out.

If I was going for one of these motors I'd be looking at fork angle first and deciding on what kind of ride I would like to build. Thanks to Thumper Racing and their $hit workmanship I have a KTM roller in my garage, maybe this would be a good fit.

M5

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
When I say older tech, I am referencing the years that these motors bolt into without mods, which would be 04 thru 2016.

Premium Features