• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supercharger Clutching Headache

Monster Max

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I just finished my stage 1 install and cannot seem to get the clutching right

Pullys: 24/31

Stock weights with steel in all 3 holes

Blue Brown Blue - spring

Stock Secondary settings.

I seem to hit the limiter all the time.

Is my primary spring to strong? MPI recommended a BPB

If I go to a steeper helix and stiffer spring in the secondary, will this help?

Thanks

Monster Max

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
6-7k

My gauge has a max recall and I have seen 14-16

With the pulleys I have it should be 11-12, but with over revving I get the boost spike.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
You need to start with your secondary, the only spring that Yamaha makes that is even close to being stiff enough for that boost is the white spring. And it would need to be run at 80 degrees, any more than 80* and it will coil bind. Your other option and the spring that I use and would suggest is the EPI purple spring with as much twist as you can get. (It will take two people to get it that tight). Also I believe that the EPI spring you need is an Arctic cat spring.

As far as the helix goes, the strait cut 47* seems to work well.

I'd start by only switching the secondary spring. That should get you off the rev limiter. If the sled seems to backshift ok then leave the stock helix in there. If not go to the 47*

You'll need to add or subtract weight from you primary weights to get you rpm's back in check. I like to run my sled at 8800 - 8900.

Hope this helps. MPI was not much help for me.

Monster Max

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks,

I was going in the wrong direction on the secondary. I will give it a try.

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I have a 08 Nytro with 6-7 lbs boost and Hartman Inc setup my clutching up.

It works excellent...

R

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Yep Tom Hartman knows his stuff. Especially the low boost supercharger set ups. I used his clutch kit on my nytro the year I ran it stock.

A.Granath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Sundsvall - Sweden
I use stm supertips on my mpi s/c 180hp setup, they are good and you will be able to fine tune depending on your preferences in ridning.

The only thing thats a bit tricky is to avoid hitting the rev limiter (9200) on hard pack while getting some way close to right rpms in the deep snow.

I guess you have to accept revs to hit the limiter sometimes just take it easy on the throttle when driving on realy hard packed or icy snow.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Call Dustin @ Outlaw Motorsports (541) 426-3491 after installing his clutch kit in my s/c Nytro I gained 15mph climbing, stopped blowing belts 150-200 miles and just felt like a brand new machine. Not to mention alot cooler clutch temps. IMO Hartman has a better setup for drags/racing & Outlaw has a better all around/hill climbing set up. I know on one of there Mcxpress Nytro's they got 1800 miles on one belt.

huffymtx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
x2 on outlaw been great to deal with and spot on clutching s1 super

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I just had my SC apex reclutched and dialed in by Ulmer this year on his dyno, I picked up 30 track hp! That is insane. Sled is a whole different beast. It was revving correctly with my old set up as well just scrubbing off the power with heat. I highly reccomend getting the sled to someone that knows what they are doing and dial it in and ride. Saves a lot of headaches. Good luck

Premium Features