• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gps trail maps?

D

druchti

Oct 23, 2009
SASQUATCH, MN
hey was looking into buying a gps trail map for wyoming .. was wondering if neone on here has one or has used one and could give me some advice on what one to buy have never used one before.. mostly ride the tog area . any advice would be helpful .. thanks

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
hey was looking into buying a gps trail map for wyoming .. was wondering if neone on here has one or has used one and could give me some advice on what one to buy have never used one before.. mostly ride the tog area . any advice would be helpful .. thanks

What model is your GPS? If it is a newer Garmin one that allows uploads of GoogleEarth overlays you can make your own maps using the ones that are online. I did that for the Snowys - I took the map from the internet, converted the pdf to a jpg, then did an overlay onto Google Earth. From there you can upload it to the GPS using BaseCamp. (see screenshot that is attached)

The Colorado maps are MUCH easier and better since they don't have all the textboxes covering everything up FWIW.

screenshot - Copy.jpg

D

druchti

Oct 23, 2009
SASQUATCH, MN
hey thanks for the info...i have a lowarnce hunt rite now that i use for fishing and hunting .. but would be in the market to buy a new one if i could use google earth on the garmin one like your saying.. could i even overlay the map onto the topo maps provided by google ?.. and dose it show points of intrest like gas stations and lodges?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
There are a bunch of free topo maps on the internet - I use those. Google search will get you to a few sites that host them.

I downloaded those topo maps first to my GPS and then added the trail map overlays that I described above. You can then turn the maps on/off if you need to.

The next step that I have not done yet is to download the sattelite image files for my riding areas. That requires a 1 year subscription for $30 to Garmin - I have not pulled the trigger on that yet, not sure if I really need it or not. I don't use the GPS for much - just to check where the trail is if we are trying a new route and I use it to check wilderness area boundaries.

Premium Features