• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new sound regulations

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So what did everyone think about the new sound regulations? Did you notice any change in the amount of snowmobiles that you would here throughout the day?

Did you get tested? Anyone fail?

Just curious how it went.

G

Groomer-Doo

New law not a problem for most

Most of the sleds tested will past the sound regulation. Unless it is a race sled or has some type of stinger pipe. Good regulation and fair nobody should have a real problem with this law and everybody had two years to get ready for the law to go into effect. :face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I agree, everyone had two years to get ready. However, I think that there will be a lot of machines that won't pass. I believe that the test is at idle and 4k. My D8 with the HPS can was loud and I'm sure it wouldn't pass. Stock exhausts are good for the most part. My IQR probably won't make it either.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
All of the sleds we tested had after market pipes or cans. Tested several M8 and M1000 with pipes they passed. No need to test if it is stock. We thought for sure that several sleds would fail, we we wrong.
The sleds that you thought would fail, do you think they are pretty loud?

G

Groomer-Doo

Yep we tested all of the sleds that we thought might fail the test and all passed. Some were right on the max, I think that was 88 decibels . But to answer you question these are loud sleds but at 4000 rpm + or -200 they passed. I would still have your sleds tested so you know for sure. We tested Ski-Doos and Arctic Cats did not have any Polaris to test. But the State Parks Ranger that did the test said that he had not had any of the piped Polaris that he had tested fail so far fail.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
No need to test if it is stock.

Where did you get this info?

I am pretty sure when you show up to a riding area everyone will be tested if the Forest Service is there.

I only ask because like Bugito stated above, there is no way an IQR will pass, and there is no "low sound" pipe or can available for them at this point.

G

Groomer-Doo

I can't speak to the Polaris IQR don't know if they have been at any of the tests. I can only speak to the sleds I saw tested with know problems. If you think it is to loud I would get it tested. We only tested a few stock sleds and they were not close to having a problem.

You are correct, I expect to see the Forest Service and State Parks out this year testing at many of the trail heads. IQR is a race sled correct? Race sled s will not pass, without a pipe or can change.

Last edited:

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
We put all of our sleds back to stock exhaust. We don't travel 9 hours one way to have our riding time interrupted with a noise test !!! >>>>.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
ruffy, last year they were practicing, this season the regulation becomes enforceable. I borrowed a Db meter from work and took some readings. The results I saw didn't look good for any but the mildest can.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
IMO, don't be a parking lot douche and you will be fine. The tests are full of holes and can be challenged and most likely beaten. Variables such as air temp, sled temp, snow pack (hard like a parking lot, fresh snow in the lot, the lot being plowed and showing dirt), weather (cloudy or sunny, wind). All of these play a huge factor in results. There isn't an accurate sound test available yet that is fair to the testee or testor.

Mule has stated this on many occasions and if you speak with Erik at VOHK, he will go on and on about all of the variables. Be prepared to talk for quite a while if you chat with him about it.

FYI, I have a XP800 with a tighter head, SLP exhaust and HPS can and it passed last year during the "tests" at 3600-4000 RPM. It came in at 81db. Anybody who has ridden with me knows that particular sled at WOT certainly isn't quiet. Also, IMO the sleds that I ride with that failed aren't annoyingly loud either.

The first thing to remember is that now you are your own worst enemy, so just be nice and easy. DON'T let them run your sled, you do it.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah, it's gonna thin the herd out the first part of the upcoming season I would wager.

Gonna be interested to see what happens to all the turbo guys.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Tm8

We had sleds tested that should have failed, they all passed.

My tm8 with tunnel dump and mesh hood almost failed. The tester thought the mesh hood was to blame.

The state park crew seemed to be on our side, hope it stays that way.

Premium Features