• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha on the way!! need sea level clutching?

J
Jan 7, 2016
I have a Alpha on the way, first actual Cat. Not sure what the dealer is going to do for me in regards to the clutching. When I got my Viper MTX I had to re clutch to sea level.
So Should I be looking into clutch parts form a XF model or should I be looking at a actual aftermarket clutch kit? And If so who's kits does everyone recommend?

Thanks

Jeff

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Dealer should change clutching for you, the XF's and ZR's are set for 0-3000 ft. they did on my 2015. I will be requesting it when my '19 shows up.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Not to hijack, but does anyone know what my 18 mountain cat came with for weight and for what elevation. Also where can I just get some weights for different levels. Ride all the way from 6k to 12ish

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not to hijack, but does anyone know what my 18 mountain cat came with for weight and for what elevation. Also where can I just get some weights for different levels. Ride all the way from 6k to 12ish

Cheapest weights I found for my M6000 were off Cuntry Cats website.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Speed shop has a nice set of adjustable weights for a very good price. They are 64 to 86.

J
Jan 7, 2016
Ill be talking with the dealer before i pick up the sled.

That being said is the stock clutching good. Id like a lower engagement. I got my Viper down to like 2800rpm makes creeping along much nicer in the trees

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
I’m not sure exactly what my engagement is. But my 18 was buttery smooth. I ride in Maine around 2-4K. It was super easy to just creep along

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Ill be talking with the dealer before i pick up the sled.

That being said is the stock clutching good. Id like a lower engagement. I got my Viper down to like 2800rpm makes creeping along much nicer in the trees

Try it stock, the clutches on these are not like any sled clutch you have ever ridden. Engagement is low and very smooth. Easy to creep if you want.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Arctic Cat has a program that's available to dealers that allows them to setup the sled for whatever elevation the customer is riding at. They install the desired clutch kit and send back the kit that comes with the sled for a full credit. I'd bring it up to your dealer if they are unaware.

Low Elevation Kit part# for 2018's and on: 7639-939

Comes with 74G weights and Helix.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I seen a video of an alpha online. The guy had it idling there, and he just literally touched the gas.. probably to get an idea of what she sounded like coming off idle and the thing moved.. They engage at a super low rpm from the factory. I was very impressed.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I seen a video of an alpha online. The guy had it idling there, and he just literally touched the gas.. probably to get an idea of what she sounded like coming off idle and the thing moved.. They engage at a super low rpm from the factory. I was very impressed.

Do you know was it a North American Alpha One or the International (Scandinavian) Hardcore Alpha One

-North American Alpha One - is clutched for high elevation including drive clutch spring 0646-482

-International (Scandinavia) Hardcore Alpha One - is clutched for low elevation including a different drive clutch spring 0646-473

both are geared the same at 19/50 96P 13W

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I have a Alpha on the way, first actual Cat. Not sure what the dealer is going to do for me in regards to the clutching. When I got my Viper MTX I had to re clutch to sea level.
So Should I be looking into clutch parts form a XF model or should I be looking at a actual aftermarket clutch kit? And If so who's kits does everyone recommend?

Thanks

Jeff

https://store.arcticcat.com/Parts

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Our ProMag adjustable weights go from 64-86 grams using magnets. They are only $129 per set. We are the only aftermarket company who make the weights like the oem does with oil impregnated steel. Highest quality and excellent price!!

Our complete clutch kit is only $269.95. And actually you can use that helix in our kit at all elevations, springs too. Just have to adjust the weights. Our clutch kit sheet tells you want to do.

Here is a link to our clutch kits and components.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_category=265&controller=category

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
Just removed the 70 g weights from my alpha for an adjustable kit. Been riding an axys for the last couple years so curious what the 18 mtn cats have been running for weight from 8-10k feet?

Premium Features