• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iceage ELEVATE kit - interesting!!!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
^you can't put a patent on height.

You’d be surprised what can be patented. I’m not sure if they have on a patent on it but it seems like I read that they had a patent on “raising the chassis to enable it to go through snow better”.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ski-doo was touting the increased height when they went to taller spindles on T3 XMs! I doubt there's a patent on it or someone would have sued already.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Guys, we are super excited to roll this product out and get it in consumer hands. I will try and go through and touch base on most of the questions/concerns.

Overall Performance Goal

The second we rode the new 18 cats last year we knew cat finally had something. The Ctec motor coupled with the clutching and track system puts impressive power to the snow. The sleds get on the snow and move like nothing else. The fist thing we noticed when it was sitting in the shop next to the axys and g4 is how low and squatty it looked. The sled handles well in stock form but it still left us wanting more.

Hundreds of miles and piles of parts in the scrap bin later we have the Elevate Kit. Bringing the front end up 2" tapering back to 3/4" of lift in the rear has allowed the sled to show what its really capable of. The extra height helps the sled roll around more in deeper snow making for a more fun and less 'planted' feel. Having more height has also increase the angle you can sidehill before "paneling out". This was especially noticeable in our late season testing in hard spring conditions. You can now lay the sled into the hill and it just hangs there instead of trying to push you off. (see axys vs pro, xm vs t3 comments above) With the increased height getting the nosecone and panels so much higher out of the snow we now are plowing less snow allowing the sled to float on top with reduced effort. Our spindle is fully engineered (not just spacers bolted on) to ensure more strength from all angles even with the 2" taller base section. The spindles also include steering stops, this helps eliminate the possibility of bending tie rods all the time. You do not lose any steering angle because of this.

Approach angle/skid

We spent a TON of time tweaking and modifying on the approach angle and how we handled the drop in the rear. Obviously cat has the best approach on the market and the sled gets on the snow with ease. We DID NOT want to ruin this. The rails have a fully customized bend for this application to keep the approach as mellow as possible. We also remounted the front track shock and limiter strap allowing us to get more travel in the front portion of the skid. This helps the sled handle bumps on the trail much nicer. And obviously one of the biggest skid gains is the proven strength of our IceAge rails.

Balance

I see a lot of guys trying to jerry rig things or wanting to only do spindles and drop the skid. If it was this easy we would have done it this way and made a cheaper kit. Maintaining the proper balance of the sled and skid setup is paramount. You can VERY easily make the sled handle far worse then stock. After hundreds of miles and a pile of parts in the scrap bin, we can assure you, this is a fully developed system not just some bolt on widgets.

Specs
Spindle angle - Stock
Spindle height increase - 2.1"
Spindle weight - 3# 7oz (3oz heavier then stock)
Steering geometry - unmodified (same tie rod clearance to a-arms)
Height all added below ball joint - Stock shocks/geometry to fit any a-arms.
6061 T6 billet construction. This is a massive billet part.

skid is dropped .75" in rear and 1.2" in front.
Rails design is unique to the elevate kit
Custom bend profile
increased front track shock travel/stroke ( ~.625")
Wider ribs by ~50%
7000 series aluminum, much stronger then OEM.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Sounds legit, I know you love the Axys but like the cat powerplant. I understand the price is largely do to engineering and testing etc, plus the spindles aren't cheap material. But in the case someone breaks one, would you be able to offer a better replacement price if you can verify they have purchased the kit from you?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Sounds legit, I know you love the Axys but like the cat powerplant. I understand the price is largely do to engineering and testing etc, plus the spindles aren't cheap material. But in the case someone breaks one, would you be able to offer a better replacement price if you can verify they have purchased the kit from you?

Those look pretty stout and solid aluminum. I know someone will do it but I bet they can take a pretty serious hit without bending or especially breaking.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We will for sure be offering reasonably priced replacements IF someone was to break one. It is unlikely, but obviously, its a snowmobile, so it will get broken. We do not price like an OEM trying to make our money on replacement parts sales. We want guys back out on the snow running and enjoying our products.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wyo mod, makes the skis turn sharper.
Replaces the #4 on cats parts list for steering.
Sounds like ur stops may prevent increased turning. Bummer.
6ce365ca558bbc185b5223971db9d049.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I know the steering mod was a biggy on older proclimbs but how many really need it on the revised front end? (not me)

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I know the steering mod was a biggy on older proclimbs but how many really need it on the revised front end? (not me)

Increase steering helps you sidehill steeper slopes. So yes I still need it. It helped a bunch on my 16, not as much on the 18 with the better narrow panels, but still is nice to have. I might not do it if I get an Alpha though.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
So how does this work with the alpha if you think the rails go in tandem with the spindles?

Right now we are not offering a kit for the alpha. The skid must be done accordingly to match the front. We are excited to see what we can do with the alpha when it shows up.

My bet is it doesn't without having an alpha to test with.

We are hoping for our snowcheck soon to bolt things on and start playing. Also dreaming of a November like last winter so we can get to testing sooner then later!

Increase steering helps you sidehill steeper slopes. So yes I still need it. It helped a bunch on my 16, not as much on the 18 with the better narrow panels, but still is nice to have. I might not do it if I get an Alpha though.

CO, the mod would still allow a slight increase in steering angle, our stops have a bit of space left before contact, the key is we just did not want the steering system (especially worn ones) to be able to wind up super far allowing the tie rods to hit the shocks. Also, keep your eyes peeled. we have more goodies in the works for the cat, handling related specifically.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
My dealers first order of Alphas will be here this week, and my buddies 154 will be in on the 24th. I'm not sure when my 165 is coming but I won't be home until Novemeber to pick it up. The wait for the Alpha has been worse than last last year.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Our Alpha is in and we will be picking it up when return from the Denver snow show. We are super excited with our current Elevate offerings and looking forward to playing with the Alpha as well.

We are taking names and contact info for customers who are interested in getting their hands on an Elevate Kit ASAP when they become available. Call the shop at 406-763-0365 and we will get you down on our list. We will be calling back to take orders when product is ready to ship.

Pray for snow!

Premium Features