• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch engagement 2018 M8000

X
Jan 10, 2018
Can I remove this shim to raise the engagement?
I removed this shim and the engagement increased by about 600 rpm, perfect for my sled, BUT can I run it like this?

Attachments

• bricka10.jpg
    bricka10.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 158
  • bricka3.jpg
    bricka3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 143

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When I put a 2018 primary on my 2014 the first one I got was missing that shim and it squeezed the belt too much. Sled took off across the shop first time I started it.

Yours evidently didn't have that problem?

Last edited:

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I am not an expert on the new clutches but it would appear that that shim is there for a reason. Should not be any need with a zero deflection clutch to remove shims for engagement adjustments. Changing spring and or weights would be the better move.

X
Jan 10, 2018
I got this from Dale Cutler...
”If you decide that you want a higher engagement, then you will need to remove the drive clutch,
then disassemble and remove a shim under your spider to increase engagement. You will NOT be able to just install
a stiffer spring in the new Team clutch like we use to do. This new clutch does NOT respond to instilling a heaver spring
like the old clutches use to. It has to do with the way that the drive clutch was made
in relationship to the center of gravity of how the cam arms sit in the drive clutch. ”

C
Sep 19, 2010
There is two configurations of the 2018 primary clutch used on the 8000. Use the clutch that’s installed on the low altitude sleds if you want the one with closer shimmed spider. The nut height is correct that way as well that locks the spider. Did this when installing the 2018 clutch onto a 2016 and clutching stayed perfect. Still lowered the engagement some. But not to the point of just about to take off at idle like the high elivation clutch did.

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I got this from Dale Cutler...
”If you decide that you want a higher engagement, then you will need to remove the drive clutch,
then disassemble and remove a shim under your spider to increase engagement. You will NOT be able to just install
a stiffer spring in the new Team clutch like we use to do. This new clutch does NOT respond to instilling a heaver spring
like the old clutches use to. It has to do with the way that the drive clutch was made
in relationship to the center of gravity of how the cam arms sit in the drive clutch. ”

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
clutch springs

With all due respect to Dale, I disagree. We made springs specific to the new clutch and you can easily alter the engagement with.

Our 120-280 Silver spring is a good option, but we use our 145-290 Gold primary spring in our clutch kits. The engagement is about 3700-3900 with the gold spring.

We have sold and installed several hundred of these springs and started using them on the early release model 2 winters ago.

They are only $19.95 and they obviously install easily.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_category=265&controller=category

Premium Features