• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Drive Worth It?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You can use the same two bearings that are on the clutch side, they are the same size and style just fully sealed. Part # 2602-247 and 2602-198

For a better quality bearing go to a bearing shop and get the following

SKF 2206 E-2RS1TN9 for the top
SKF 6009 2RS for the bottom

These both can be used on both sides.

List price on that top one...ouch! Definitely shop around! Interesting that it's only rated for 7500rpm. Running wide open with clutches at 1:1 ratio exceeds that. I wonder what the stock China bearings have for a speed rating?

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Happen to have a part number for a lower sealed bearing? And a good place to source?

it was on my 2012 I sold in the spring ...however this seems to ring a bell

"SKF 6009 2RS for the bottom"

and I bought them here in Canada at a local bearing supplier....and no not cheap

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Con: cost

Pro: Less weight, less rotating mass, easier gear changes. If you blow a belt in the hills you put a new one on, easy peasy. If you blow a chain BEST case you go back to the trailer and get a new one, ride up and change it. Making sure you have new oil and tools to do so. Worse case you take out the gears, inner/outer halves of the case. Now your paying for a belt at a minimum for buddy to tow you out or a chopper ride. Your however many day trip and hours of driving you did is done. You now have to rebuild the whole case or suck it up and do the belt drive now. This is exactly why my 12 had a C3 kit on it and now my 18 has a TKI kit on it

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hopefully I didn’t miss this question when I searched but,,, looking at belt drives for the new sled next week, and given that here in Canada they’re say $1250-$1500 or so tax in, is a belt drive worth the money??
I get that you lose a bit of static weight, maybe some rotational weight drops,,, but what else? Faster spin up? Nicer to blow a belt and have spare on the sled to keep playin.
Thanks

We have been selling the Sycrodrives for several years now. Sold several hundred of them.
Not only are they less weight, they do have less drag and actually increases power to the track. We sell a lot of them to drag racers now too because of the increased performance. Priceless performance ran them on his track dyno and it made more track power.

The new Syncrodrives are in stock. We actually produce the oil tank for them which makes the installation very clean and nice under the hood too. The oil tank was made to accept the stock oil pump.

Click the link below to see them

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=878&controller=product

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
compare a axys with a belt drive vs none ,theres a very noticeable spool up difference, the chain drive def is missing the snap the belt drive offers. Im on my third belt driven sled and will never go back, just sucks that I cant get factory belt drive with 3 inch trax.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Bgraff1 how many miles were on the sled when that happened? And how often for oil changes?

I personally haven't had it happen to me but a buddies m1100 took out the whole chain case. it took 2 300hp m1100's and my turbo 2s to get that thing out. many hours wasted, belts burnt up and his trip was done. sled maybe had 600km on it

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have the TKI and the C3 belt drives on various sleds. Dooz and Cats. I never did the just the belt drive only so I never really thought I could feel a difference. I don’t think there is any way that you can feel the 6-8lbs of just weight either. That said when I did the couple of sleds where I dropped 40 plus lbs and the belt drive was a big chunk of that I thought you could really tell the difference in performance compared to my buddies stock sleds. I am back to riding stock except for shocks now and have been super happy. I wouldn’t do just a belt as the one mod and I don’t want to spend the money to do the hood/can/air shocks/ where it all comes together for a really noticeable improvement.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
On the 18 up cat these sleds are so damn good stock. I only did a belt drive on my 18 cause I busted the inner and outter chain case hitting a rock w/o belly pan protection. Ive had belt drives 2 cats tki and 12 Poo pro w/ C3 as well. It made a bigger difference on my rmk pro over what it did to a 15 and 18 cat. Yes the track spins easier and you lose a few pounds which is great. Its all about how much money you want to burn with the amount of gains it really provides. Best thing I like about belt drives is no more chain oil changes.

Ive ridden the crap out of this chassis and do well with the new chains and gears cat uses. Cats whole drivetrain has come along way since 2012. I probably wont belt drive my alpha. Well, unless I break something, which is possible...

Last edited:
R
Jul 23, 2018
I’m swapping to belt. End of season was out with buddies on our last sled trip of the year and first day out must of hit something with the chain case but didn’t notice a small crack I put in it and it lost fluid and did a lot of damage and the helicopter ride out and losing out on the rest of the trip riding sucked. Warranty fixed it and helped pay helicopter ride. But knowing if I had a belt drive I could have just put on a new belt is worth the piece of mind

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I set one up last year with 2.5# gearing. Then luckily nailed the clutching for the riders weight and no one could touch the sled. A lighter rider got on it and it wouldn't go as far, too much backshift.
Crazy but 100% worth the money in that case.
Sled was pulling like a turbo.

TKI belt drive!

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Well chaincase issues had me doubled out of the mountain forced to leave my sled in the mountain for 2 days, then got help from a bunch of doo’s to get er back to the truck, should have put a belt drive on this one like I did my ‘12

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Well chaincase issues had me doubled out of the mountain forced to leave my sled in the mountain for 2 days, then got help from a bunch of doo’s to get er back to the truck, should have put a belt drive on this one like I did my ‘12

Funny you say that, just got off the mountain being towed by a doo cause my tki belt drive failed. bolt holding the top gear sheared in half

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Funny you say that, just got off the mountain being towed by a doo cause my tki belt drive failed. bolt holding the top gear sheared in half

I broke a few bolts in the top gear on my 13. Re tapped the shaft to a 3/8" grade #8 bolt and haven't had an issue since.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I broke a few bolts in the top gear on my 13. Re tapped the shaft to a 3/8" grade #8 bolt and haven't had an issue since.

Interesting, I figured it was just a freak thing, I'm just hoping the rest of the bolt comes out easy and I can get back on snow soon. Never a fun time dragging a dead sled up on the deck at the end of the day

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Interesting, I figured it was just a freak thing, I'm just hoping the rest of the bolt comes out easy and I can get back on snow soon. Never a fun time dragging a dead sled up on the deck at the end of the day

The gear wouldn't stay on to drive it up the ramp? I usually never even noticed when the bolt broke till it was back in the garage.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK

I usually use a torx as an easy out. Drill it to like 3/16" then hammer in a torx bit and back it out. Hit it with a little heat if it has lock tight on it

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
The gear wouldn't stay on to drive it up the ramp? I usually never even noticed when the bolt broke till it was back in the garage.

I didn't know about the bolt till we were going down the mountain then all of a sudden the engine would rev and the sled wouldn't budge lol, luckily we were already on the trail so we just put the tow strap on it. We figured if we put the gear back on it'd just fall right back off. Never thought about putting it back on for the ramp but we had 4 guys so it wasn't a problem

I usually use a torx as an easy out. Drill it to like 3/16" then hammer in a torx bit and back it out. Hit it with a little heat if it has lock tight on it

Thanks for the tip, I probably won't get to it for a few days so we'll see

Premium Features