• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ctec Preseason Maintenance

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Whats the protocall for the preseason maintenance on these engines? Besides the typical chassis stuff(chaincase oil change, greasing, etc). From what i hear the powervalve cleaning is a very lengthy procedure, should it be done every year? Anything else specific to look at?

B
Dec 12, 2014
In addition to those things checking plugs wouldn't be a bad idea either. I didn't even realize the pull cord was frayed and just about frayed through(damn routing from factory).Might not be a bad idea to look that over. Cobra is what I'm replacing mine with.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I hate to be that guy but cant help it, The pre season list should include fill with fresh fuel, pull the rope and go. All that stuff mentioned is actually called post season maintenance done in the spring. LOL

I realize i deserve a couple of thumbs down for this one HEHEHE

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Whats the protocall for the preseason maintenance on these engines? Besides the typical chassis stuff(chaincase oil change, greasing, etc). From what i hear the powervalve cleaning is a very lengthy procedure, should it be done every year? Anything else specific to look at?

The service manual says to check the pv cable every 2600 miles and clean the valves periodically. Personally I would check the cable length and ride it, the only reason i would check the cable is a few were poorly adjusted from the factory/dealer and I drive 6 hours to ride. The valves I have never touched on any of my Cat sleds. To clean the valves on a C-Tec the cylinder needs to be removed from the crankcase.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U don't need to remove the cylinders to clean the valves.
Remove the outside side-valve and pull the rod out then pull the main valve like a zuke.

Premium Features