• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home made alpha skid, first ride

S
Feb 23, 2012
I'm planning this mod on my 14 and not cutting windows but just clipping if possible, while leaving my drivers wide. I got an extra set of arms to mod so that if itsucks I can go back to wide. If it works well, my son's and his best friend's 14s are next.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm planning this mod on my 14 and not cutting windows but just clipping if possible, while leaving my drivers wide. I got an extra set of arms to mod so that if itsucks I can go back to wide. If it works well, my son's and his best friend's 14s are next.
Curious as to how u will clip without a hole in the track?

S
Feb 23, 2012
Cut slots for the tabs, push through then bend them over. Couldn't use a regular clip tool, have to make one. After I posted that, I got to thinking the holes will allow some snow in for lube.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Cut slots for the tabs, push through then bend them over. Couldn't use a regular clip tool, have to make one. After I posted that, I got to thinking the holes will allow some snow in for lube.

That's a fairly important piece of the puzzle if you ride anything but pure fluff all the time.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So making a homebuilt Alpha is very impressive but has anyone tried a compromise while we are waiting for ride reports? What I have been thinking about trying is 2 idler wheels inside a set of normal rails, as close to the center as possible. and located just behind the rear scissor. The idea is that these wheels would be large enough diameter that they would lift the track off the hyfax about 3/4" for the last 12-16" before the rear wheels. This would have the sled roll over from rail to rail when leaning and I know it would likely act like tipped up rails (more wheelies) but on a long track sled like a 174 I expect on hard pack it would act like a 155. In the deep pow it would settle in and give full flotation. Anybody have reason to think this wouldn't work?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
This is cool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
It should work? Anything is possible we just need to think out of the box that's been created! I assume this is like a rollerblade design you are talking about? I am working my own design using a channel and bar about $80.00 in total with a bunch of machine time, hope this works? Mike

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I thought about mounting smaller wheels down the inside between the two rails. A lot less friction by not having slide rails. I’ve looked at using some small, high grade roller blade wheels and placing them about 4-5” apart down the rails. Might try it later in the year. By doing that you wouldn’t have to punch and clip the center of the track.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I thought about mounting smaller wheels down the inside between the two rails. A lot less friction by not having slide rails. I’ve looked at using some small, high grade roller blade wheels and placing them about 4-5” apart down the rails. Might try it later in the year. By doing that you wouldn’t have to punch and clip the center of the track.

Way behind on this, but you are talking about going back to how sleds guided the track before slide rails were invented. Anyone I have talked to who is old enough to have ridden those sleds always mentions how bad they were any any snow conditions where the snow was sticking and freezing, clogged the wheels,locked them up and stopped them rotating.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I’ve had the home made skid put a few times in powder since we’ve gotten dumped on here in Utah. It works very well and feels/handles/maneuvers very much like my 19’ alpha. I saw a post today on Facebook of a guy who build one out of a K-mid skid, looked very nice. To be honest, my new alpha is my primary sled. Home made alpha was just a tinkering fun ptoject. I’ll probably ride it a bit locally around my cabin before trusting it out in the steep and deep. I would hate for something to brake out in the middle of nowhere.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cat has a prototype 2.6 powerclaw on an Alpha skid.
It is center punched like Alpha but without holes on the outside like the regular 2.6 track.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
What's the latest on this mod? If Cat is not going to offer an Alpha Kit for previous Proclimbs, we may have to build our own!

The aftermarket companies (and other OEMS) have a great opportunity to try to develop a patent skirting kit for each of the brands that allows the average Joe to experience the wholesale change that the Alpha one skid brings to the sport.

Deal me in, I really don't want to have to spend $14,000 to experience a single rail rear skid.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What's the latest on this mod? If Cat is not going to offer an Alpha Kit for previous Proclimbs, we may have to build our own!

The aftermarket companies (and other OEMS) have a great opportunity to try to develop a patent skirting kit for each of the brands that allows the average Joe to experience the wholesale change that the Alpha one skid brings to the sport.

Deal me in, I really don't want to have to spend $14,000 to experience a single rail rear skid.
On sale for under $12k!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Maybe if Cat sees the incredible demand for such a kit, they may be inclined to offer it to those of use with earlier models Proclimbs and/or M series sleds?

S
Apr 20, 2018
Michigan
follow up on the wheel additions

I’ve had the home made skid put a few times in powder since we’ve gotten dumped on here in Utah. It works very well and feels/handles/maneuvers very much like my 19’ alpha. I saw a post today on Facebook of a guy who build one out of a K-mid skid, looked very nice. To be honest, my new alpha is my primary sled. Home made alpha was just a tinkering fun ptoject. I’ll probably ride it a bit locally around my cabin before trusting it out in the steep and deep. I would hate for something to brake out in the middle of nowhere.

Can you post a pic or 2 how is the Wheel mod holding up.
I'm not sure how you can stay off the Alpha long enough to really test it though.....
Thanks

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Standing by to either:

1. Buy a highly discounted 2019 Alpha One 154
2. Buy a prefabbed kit to modify my 2015 (with dropped drive axle & belt drive)
3. Buy a used rear skid and start modifying it myself
4. Sit here and wait to see what 2020 brings before doing anything
5. Just sit here and eat popcorn and see where this all goes :)

Premium Features