• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull Cords

B
Dec 12, 2014
I Have an 18 mountain cat with around 800 miles and Ive noticed the pull cord is frayed. Hows the longevity of the stock cords? The debate is having to take the turbo off to put a new rope on wondering if anyone has had any ropes break. Thanks!

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
The rope on my ‘16 broke at about 1.5-2K miles. I’d throw a new one on before season if you have to remove turbo to do it. Saves you from starting from the clutch possibly and then changing it in a less than ideal location with minimal tools.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Cobra pull chord or the like and don't look back. Had one on my turbo M1000 for 2200 miles before I sold it and as far as I know, it's still going.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
So I’m new to cat on an alpha this year but we used to wax our cords with Hockey stick wax that would keep em together a long time. Where are they fraying?

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Ya the routing is garbage, hits multiple spots, one of which is a square sharpish edge. The new 18 I picked up with 4 miles isnt retracting all the way. Annoyed

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Cobra pull chord or the like and don't look back. Had one on my turbo M1000 for 2200 miles before I sold it and as far as I know, it's still going.
Cobra cord is the way to go. Got tired of replacing the ropes one or two times a year, sometimes on the mountain. So far so good with the cobra.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Ya the routing is garbage, hits multiple spots, one of which is a square sharpish edge. The new 18 I picked up with 4 miles isnt retracting all the way. Annoyed
yep, original cord works fine when routing is checked and all the sharp edges are grinded away.:face-icon-small-win

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Ropes break because they rub on a certain point in the routing, which cuts the strands down (fraying) and they break.

To avoid this, once or twice a year, I will pull the rope up about 2 inches through the handle and re-tie it. This keeps the same spots from rubbing down to nothing and the rope breaking. And, yes, look for any sharp edges and sand those down if necessary. I haven't had a rope break in over 20 years after regularly trimming them like this.

Stock ropes are generally decent...but they will fray into nothing if left alone on the rub spots.

Premium Features