• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" Powerclaw With Fingers

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What's everyone's thoughts if there was a 3" powerclaw with the outside fingers like the 2.6 has? I'm guessing not as good in the deep snow, but possibly better bite in hard spring snow?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Search "powerclaw 2.6 mod".

Most guys that have cut the fingers off the 2.6 find it is better in the deep and noticed no significant difference on more setup snow. I definitely would not want a 3" with fingers after comparing my 3" and 2.6" side by side in soft snow regardless of what the difference was on the hard snow that I rarely ride.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've read about the 2.6 finger mod and it seems the people who have tired it don't admit having any regrets. I've got a regular 3" PC track. I'm just curious if there's any conditions that might benefit from having the fingers. I wouldn't think it would be good as a primary track, but if you could have one in the garage to throw on for certain snow conditions for cheap, would you?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
As one who has 2 seasons on a "modded" 2.6" I can tell you there was no point at any time that I wished I had not cut the fingers off. I have seen no negatives, thus I see no point in having a 3" with fingers.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
3" PC without fingers has the same surface area as 2.6" pc with fingers. AKA, its how you can keep track speed equivalent between the 2 tracks.

venom1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ft mac,alberta
Have they made changes to the powerclaw track since 09. I've been away from sledding for a while and if memory serves me correct they were a soft compound and sucked in the braking department. I think u could get a stiffer lug on the hcr. I changed mine out for the challenger extreme right away. I'd imagine there were some sort of improvements.

Last edited:

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Have they made changes to the powerclaw track since 09. I've been away from sledding for a while and if memory serves me correct they were a soft compound and sucked in the braking department. I think u could get a stiffer lug on the hcr. I changed mine out for the challenger extreme right away. I'd imagine there were some sort of improvements.

A 2.25" powerclaw from 09 is a far cry from the current generation 3" powerclaw. They are worlds apart in performance in every category.

I have a 2012 proclimb that started with the 2.25" pclaw which was first upgraded to a 2.6" pclaw then the upgraded again with an X3 track. Each track swap was a noticeable difference in performance (starting and stopping) but it was more so going from the 2.25" to the 2.6" than the 2.6" to the X3.

My 2018 mountain cat has the 3" pclaw which seams every bit as capable as the X3 but its comparing apples to oranges considering the sleds they are mounted to.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

I think I remember there being 80 and 85 or 90 durometer tracks. I think 2 or 3 years ago, about the time the 3” PC came out, cat stopped putting harder durometer tracks on the HCR.

Premium Features