• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Comparison Thoughts

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I hope you are right about 3" tracks in general because I will be on a 174 AXYS this year with a 3" track and i am worried about the scenario I've described. Maybe the Cat (like the 850 Poo) has the power to roast a 3" track and break free of the push effect that can get us in trouble.
Haha, 174x3..... just put it in reverse..... it will back up a tree! Lol

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Fat Cat?

The RTR weight of the Cats are greater than the Polaris, but do not forget the ridden weight with snow/ice build-up on the sled; I believe it has been shown more than once that the cat holds way less pounds of snow/ice than Polaris or Ski-Doo which more than levels the playing field!

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
FWIW I've come to the conclusion that all three manufacturers make great sleds that are very capable machines. There is not a sled out there that is going to fit the next person the same as the last person. Height, weight, riding ability, athletic ability, and riding style are all going to effect how you like the sled. So find a sled that feels comfortable for you or keep throwing money at one till it feels right.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Very relevant if your nose is hanging over a 500 ft cliff and you pin the throttle to pull a 180 degree 5hit-hook. With the Cat 3" track you are done.

I was 15 in 1995 when my dad and his buddies were saying this about XLTs with paddle tracks.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I ride predominantly with pro and axys sleds and I'm still waiting to see where this extra 20-30 lbs on my phat cat is holding me back. I'm on an old s*"'tty '14 cat with a few mods and still think it's easier to throw around than the axys I've rode numerous times. If the '18 cat is as far ahead of my '14 as everyone claims I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I ride predominantly with pro and axys sleds and I'm still waiting to see where this extra 20-30 lbs on my phat cat is holding me back. I'm on an old s*"'tty '14 cat with a few mods and still think it's easier to throw around than the axys I've rode numerous times. If the '18 cat is as far ahead of my '14 as everyone claims I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one
I have a 14 153 3in claw, jaws pipe, 16 front end and clutch.
Also an 18 Mtn Cat 162.
The 18 is the real deal.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I rode Polaris for years and M-Cats before those. My last was a 16 Axys. I got tired of the poor reliability and switched back to a Cat. I picked up a 17 Mountain Cat which is more or less an 18 with the old Suzuki motor.

Agreed with the comments that Cat has a much better suspension, track and motor. After very little practice the Cat was going places in the trees the Axys wasn't. Part of that is the 3" track but the Cat stays up on the snow with that track and motor. We also ride trees all day in Colorado light pow. Overall I am very happy with the change, the newer Cats are awesome machines.

The only drawback is the weight and even at 6'2" and 220 I feel a difference especially when stuck. The Axys was much easier to get unstuck, lifting in front is a HUGE difference, the Polaris feels lighter on the snow to me as well. After a hard days ride though I am no more tired on the Cat because of the better suspension, it just beats you up a lot less with premium adjustable shocks.

The other point about dealer location... My Cat dealer is much further away but I need to visit them a LOT less than I did the Polaris dealer. I had my 14 Pro at the dealer over a dozen times on one season and my Axys blew a motor, primary clutch, PV cable and was generally starting to come apart after only 1100 miles. The only reason my Cat went ot the dealer last season was for repairs because I plowed it into a buried log at speed. I am sticking with the fat cat for at least one more season. I would like to get a better feel for the new Cat motor before committing.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
If i cant on my alpha i think we where all lied too

I rode the Alpha quite a bit. You weren't lied to. If you screw it up it's on you.

To the Op: I own both Axys 163 and '18 mountain cat. Skinny the front end on the Axys or don't bother buying it. After narrowing the front, the two sleds are really very similar. Cat has more torquey feel. They both sidehill extremely well. I'd go with the cat. I think they passed the 800 Axys in 2018 but not by a big margin. The new Poo 850 is a different story though. Sure is great to have options.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
I felt the Alpha was a better value with the shocks, rear suspension lockout and obviously skid. I’ll find about pretty quick because I’ll be riding both this November.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The reality is, sledding is expensive...especially if something breaks. Sounds like a major failure is a no-go for you. For that reason, I'd say Cat. Super reliable motor and drivetrain, and if something does go wrong it is typically not catastrophic and you'll be back on the snow for low $$$$. Same for me...if something major, I might be out for awhile. The Polaris fits your riding description perfectly...tight stuff and sidehills. I love the Axis for that. Cat not as nimble. That said, the Polaris has had more crank issues. I know people will argue this but I do have knowledge on the inside from some motor shops and the Polaris crank issues keep them busy. And I love Polaris...is what I started sledding with. I have a 09 M8 turbo now. Has been very reliable minus a clutch, EBT and needing new pistons (powervalves scrapped the pistons). Point is, even with an older sled and turbo...the failures have been relatively cheap to fix and get back on the snow. One last route to consider...if you can find a good deal on an Axis and can spend the $$$$ up front for the Indy Dan motor configuration (which addresses the reliability issues of the motor), I would go that route. Again, I love the Axys...but expect more from a $15K sled when it comes to motor reliability. No excuse IMO for any reliability issues in today's world.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I totally agree. That's what kept me mostly on Cat since '09. I can't wrap my head around paying over 10 grand for a sled with a sketchy motor. Admittedly the guys I ride with didn't have major engine issues with their Pros/Axys (one failure in a lot of sleds) but they were trading before 1500 miles in almost every case. Hopefully this new Cat 800 proves as reliable as the Suzuki did. If not, I'll be looking elsewhere. The new 850 Polaris has a lot of thought put into it focused on reliability. So, they got the message but only time will tell. I'd sure hate to have to resort to a doodle and relearn to ride again like I did on my XM!

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Thanks again for the input, some great info here.
Never had any major issues or had to see much down time at all with the pro or axys I had and both racked up between 60-75 ride days each season. Literally on the Pro a tps out, and an injector, on the Axys, stretched the exh valve cable out and torched the spider on the primary (lack of maintenance on my part, as in zero, but it made 5000 kms before failure) That’s it.
But,,, I threw some money on a leftover 18 MC 162, pick it up in a few weeks. So see how it goes and hopefully it’s good to me and we can get along in the timber. Other than my first sled ever, a 1M, I’ve never bought without at least a little seat time. Just talking to friends that have them where I used to ride in MT and from the discussions on here. From the sounds of it not too big a risk.
Several people all pointed at the same dealer as being the one to go with for being reputable and good wrenching. There was a closer one but I’ll trust the friends and see how it goes.
Now I’ll have to do some research on a can to drop some weight, and see if I’m willing to throw down some money for a belt drive and what brand is best. Changing chaincase oil every 500 kms gets annoying and seems to need it constantly.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
cat added a drain plug to the chain case in 17 and up. YA! super easy to change oil in it now. you only need to pull one bolt and open the side panel and fill. done.

Premium Features