• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain cat upgrade worth it??

Z
Apr 26, 2017
I am currently coming off a 2011 m8 162 and I have found a pretty good deal on 2018 mountain cat 153. Those of you that have ridden the 18, do you think it's worth it? I ride a lot of trees and steep terrain. Looking for something that lays over easier and is just overall a lot easier to ride.

Would love to get an alpha but that's just not in the budget this year. Hoping in the next year or two they come out with a bolt on kit for the mountain cat.

Thanks for your guys time and input, I really appreciate it!

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
I went from a '10 M over to a '15 Limited... Night and day, had to learn how to ride again! Then went to an '18 MC and again, had to learn to ride the sled and you won't stop smiling. All sleds were 162's

Z
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks all! I really appreciate the input.

I was just debating between the 18 and trying to move up to a 16 or so with the front end update. I've heard that was a big improvement. However, it sounds like the 18 is a way bigger improvement!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The 16 front end is night and day over the pre 16 models, no doubt about it. I spent a couple days on a '15 loaner while my sled was in the shop. I would stay on the '11 if those two were my choices. The drop and roll chaincase starting with the '17 MC was the next epic improvement and is standard on all the '18+ mtn models.

I am still a little leary of the new reduced oil use emissions motors, just seems like a bad idea. Very few out there though with enough miles to determine of it is a big improvement over the old Suzuki.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Snowchecked an 18 Mtn Cat 162 last season. Came off a modified M1000 (engine and chassis that worked great.....for an M-series)

Night and day difference. C-tec 800 motor in stock form is awesome! Chassis takes a couple days to get used to and once you do........BAM! Nothing but smiles.

We all live in the trees and steep. It's a monster and very comfortable in that environment.

Mine is clutched, Ti Can, Gripper skis. Love it.

Do it and don't look back for who is chasing you. First to the top wins! :face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Do it. All day, the 18 MC has more power/traction/easier to ride then an M. Its going to feel like a kids toy in regards to how easy it throws around vs the M series.

Rock solid sleds and they pull damn hard for a stock 800, and the 3" hooks up HARD in just about everything but ice.

Premium Features