• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will you buy a first year sled without a demo ride?

What are your requirements for ordering/buying an Alpha Cat?

• I will only order/buy one if I have ridden one

Votes: 65 30.4%
  • I will order/buy one if I have heard positive reviews from someone I know or trust

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I trust Rob Kincaid and David McClure

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • I have no problem buying a sled that myself and no one else has ridden

Votes: 63 29.4%

• Total voters

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
took er a little far there. not my criteria, just a fun aspect. proclimbs had a bad rep from the mountain riders elite. like 95% polaris and doo out in my honey holes. none of my friends would even look at one. i read up, asked dumb questions here, and saw all their main issues were addressed, even some of the weight. when they dropped the case and narrowed the boards i was sold. i like showing up with a sled that has the lowest expectations and then hangs with the best of em.
just a fun little slice of life i enjoy but ill prolly get another thumbs down for this,
welcome to the cat section sheeple :face-icon-small-coo

I get what you're saying. The proclimb was criticized since 2012 but having owned them all I actually preferred it from '14 on for a number of reasons and didn't seem to have any issues hanging with anyone I rode with. Perception doesn't always match reality. I'm glad cat is getting a fair shake these days. The company has stood by me in a couple warranty situations that they didn't need to and I remember that.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I get what you're saying. The proclimb was criticized since 2012 but having owned them all I actually preferred it from '14 on for a number of reasons and didn't seem to have any issues hanging with anyone I rode with. Perception doesn't always match reality. I'm glad cat is getting a fair shake these days. The company has stood by me in a couple warranty situations that they didn't need to and I remember that.

Same scenario with Cat standing by their product from my experience. Great company

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Yes I would it's not a whole new machine. It's just a rear suspension. I have never had a demo ride before buying any of my cats.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
took er a little far there. not my criteria, just a fun aspect. proclimbs had a bad rep from the mountain riders elite. like 95% polaris and doo out in my honey holes. none of my friends would even look at one. i read up, asked dumb questions here, and saw all their main issues were addressed, even some of the weight. when they dropped the case and narrowed the boards i was sold. i like showing up with a sled that has the lowest expectations and then hangs with the best of em.
just a fun little slice of life i enjoy but ill prolly get another thumbs down for this,
welcome to the cat section sheeple :face-icon-small-coo

Same here. Don't like following the crowd. Would rather be on the one nobody wants and let a little skill prove them all wrong ;)

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I swore that I would not snow check an alpha without a demo ride. That went out the window today. Snow check done. Too many amazing reports from guys I trust who were lucky enough to ride it.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would like a ride before buying myself. I am NOT a fan of the wobble built into the SkiDoo skid, and this, while different, is a seemingly similar goal.

Fortunately I do not feel the need to be first on the snow with new tech. I am happy to wait a season or two to see how it pans out. I am still not convinced the new emissions motors are as solid as my zuke. Time will tell. Likewise I am not convinced the new skid is going to be the bees knees either.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Well.... My buddy just went out and bought an Alpha 165 so I had my demo ride last week. I didn't find it too tippy at all. You could see how much less effort it took my buddy all day on that sled, very impressive. I may have to buy one next year just to keep up!

Premium Features