• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big guy needs bigger running boards

T
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
I want to get into the new ascender chassis. But because they made the sled more narrow, the running boards more more narrow. I’m 6’7” and wear a size 16 boot. I need the wider running boards to stay on. Is there any aftermarket options to widen the boards? Everything I’ve found is to make them more narrow. Thank you!

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U will be fine.
Give it a few rides and u will be comfortable on the narrow boards.

My little size 12 boots fit just fine and i don't have my feet against the tunnel.

Put ur pinky toe up on the edge or just past the edge of the board and that helps tilt the ankle in towards the tunnel and gives better control as a rider.
I either have the pinky or the heel hanging off when off trail, even with the wider boards.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Cr racing makes wide running boards all the way to the back. Perfect for size 16 boots.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm a big guy too with a size 16 boots and had the same concerns as you going to the narrow boards. I ended up putting the Cat pro-mtn narrow boards on anyway, but with screws in the outer rail and don't have any grip/slip issues. The only time I feel a little cramped is riding down the trail and I'm trying to slide my foot all the way up into the toe box area. Off trail I don't have any issues. I'll try to take a picture or two of what it looks like standing with my boots on.

I will say if I did it again I'd skip the Cat boards and spend the extra $100 on B&M. The inside plastic traction cleats I left on build some ice under certain conditions (the newer ones have a different shape to the cleats that might help this), I had to grind down a couple high spots of weld to get them to sit flat down like I wanted on the tunnel edge, and they aren't quite as beefy for a big guy jumping. I have a slight bow in them now. Not as bad as if it was a stock running board edge, but my previous early-build BDX tube boards were still straight after 3 seasons.

T
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
Thank you guys for the input. I’m just doing research now. Torn between a 2016 m8000 limited and a 2018 xf 8000 hc limited. Both are super good deals at my local dealer. But still 3k$ difference. Coming from a 06 m7, both are going to be a new world for me. Going to probably let the bank make the decision for me and see what I can afford.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The 18 is vastly improved over the 16, definatley worth the price difference.
I hope ur bank tells u to get the 18...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Before buying any new boards ride it the way it comes a few times and then decide if you need wider. Definitely get the 18’ if cannat all afford it, you’ll be glad you did. BTW, I’m pretty sure the stock boards on the 16’ are a little wider than the 18’.

T
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
Yes. I really liked the proclimb when standing on it. Never actually rode one. I fall off my m series all the time. My boots hung over the sides. I have new boots for this year and I will be taking them to the dealership to try it out. Some places I read reviews on the 2018 xf HC and it said it doesn’t come with the ascender chassis. But then other reviews says it does. So I will just let confort decide.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Yes. I really liked the proclimb when standing on it. Never actually rode one. I fall off my m series all the time. My boots hung over the sides. I have new boots for this year and I will be taking them to the dealership to try it out. Some places I read reviews on the 2018 xf HC and it said it doesn’t come with the ascender chassis. But then other reviews says it does. So I will just let confort decide.
I think part of the issue you might have with the OEM boards is not necessarily the width, but how they have such a tall edge. Makes your ankle want to roll off it since your foot is so wide its more in the center of your boot vs the outer edge.

Going to a tube style board or the OEM machined ones, really anything without such a pronounced edge should help your foot sit flatter and stay more balanced.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I have 2 days on my 18 and have the same problem as you. I have size 13 boots. Even worse and I know this is heightened with the narrow boards is my knees hit the sides of the seat since its wide which bows out my knees and hurts bad by the end of the day. Those are my #1 complaint and seriously considering going back to an axys over this one issue, cause honestly who wants to ride 8 hours a day on something that hurts. Will check out solutions at Haydays.

Is there a more narrow seat or probably not due to the size of the fuel tank

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think I had mentioned in Yaegers thread awhile back, look into tube boards without the larger outer tube (I think skinz is the only company that offers a larger diameter outer tube). The boards may not be any wider but you’ll be able to keep your feet flat and a majority of your boot will be on the board.

I see now Wheel House said the same above.

Premium Features