• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice on cylinder.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Sled is a 2011 800 Pro. Pistons got scored . Almost certain from snow injestion. Here is a pic of cylinder. I can only feel one of those lines with my finger nail barely. Took it to most reputable shop around here that I know off. He said it's not ideal but would work with no ill effects. Measured it and deglaze it for me. What do you guys think. Does it need to be redone.

Attachments

• 20180227_183033.jpg
    20180227_183033.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 90

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Honestly, I am more concerned with how many miles are on it with stock pistons. Why? Because those loose fitting stock pistons have been hammering on those thinner (2011-2012) cylinder skirts for however long.

Check very closely for cracks. Too many stories of replacement pistons followed by cracked skirts. And then 100% of the blame has fallen on the replacement pistons.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Honestly, I am more concerned with how many miles are on it with stock pistons. Why? Because those loose fitting stock pistons have been hammering on those thinner (2011-2012) cylinder skirts for however long.

Check very closely for cracks. Too many stories of replacement pistons followed by cracked skirts. And then 100% of the blame has fallen on the replacement pistons.

I hear you there. Sled had 1300 miles on stock pistons. Put rkt drop-ins in at that time. Now has 1900 miles. Took pics of skirts to magnify them. Don't see any viable cracks anywhere.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It's going to be a risk not replacing the monoblock with brand new. But I get it, there now $1,200.

But, please make sure you replace the injectors. 2011's were problematic and have been updated. Injector location lends itself to carbon deposits on the tip's. Which then results in fuel pattern spray issues. Which then leads to issues just like you are seeing right now.

May not have been snow ingestion.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
It's going to be a risk not replacing the monoblock with brand new. But I get it, there now $1,200.

But, please make sure you replace the injectors. 2011's were problematic and have been updated. Injector location lends itself to carbon deposits on the tip's. Which then results in fuel pattern spray issues. Which then leads to issues just like you are seeing right now.

I did have injectors ultra sonic cleaned by indy specialties 4-500 miles ago which was sevel years ago that seem to cure a cutout/stumble issue. They are blue so I was under impression they were updated version. They are ones sled came with new. Maybe there is a more updated one?

Last edited:
S
Feb 21, 2009
replace

call indydan and get it done right.

Premium Features