• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bulidling/cobbling together a snowbike installation/deconstruction-stand, tips please

B
I don't have a fancy hydraulic motorcycle/snowmobile stand. I do have a dirtbike stand made from 2x10's or 2x8's, I don't remember, but it does easily hold up the bike. I also have a Harbor Freight jack operated stand so I have that to get the entire bike up and down depending on where I need things to line up.

I'm wondering about how I'm going to keep the thing from falling over and I saw a frame one had bulit with 4x4's on each end and braced by 2x4 along the length and strapping along the bottom to keep it all square. I may go to Home Depot to get some eyebolts to put some tiedowns to keep the bike from toppling over during install and de-install.

Any ideas or tips for something that would be better/easier to make?, or once the front ski is installed, there is nothing to really worry about?

R
Apr 18, 2016
They pretty much stand up by themselves, I work on mine with just a regular old motorcycle stand. I like my buddies set up. He built a table out of wood with locking casters on the bottom that is the same height as his truck. He rolls his bike off the truck onto the stand and latches it down to the footpegs. He has some storage under it for parts and stuff. He can roll it around his shop easy and he works on it more at eye level so his track gets a good inspection every time. Works for him, I might make one.

B
They pretty much stand up by themselves, I work on mine with just a regular old motorcycle stand. I like my buddies set up. He built a table out of wood with locking casters on the bottom that is the same height as his truck. He rolls his bike off the truck onto the stand and latches it down to the footpegs. He has some storage under it for parts and stuff. He can roll it around his shop easy and he works on it more at eye level so his track gets a good inspection every time. Works for him, I might make one.

How about when one has the bike up on the stand?, with just the front ski on, is there any concern with, while getting the swingarm bolt through the DTS 129?

I will definitely strap the bike down to my stand so it can't move as much anyway.

U
Sep 12, 2010
Coupling or decoupling the subframe I usually put a floor jack under the skid plate so I can fine tune the position of all the bits.......

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I just picked up the kits yesterday so now I'm beginning to realise the implications of maneuvering and working on a bike that's 1.5X the size of my original dirt bike. I like your idea of wheeling it out onto a wooden stand on rollers/casters. Now that we don't need to remove the wheels to change tires during the winter.:face-icon-small-hap

I've got one of those hydraulic scissor lifts from Princess Auto so when I get the bikes converted, I'll first give that a try, however I think a conventional lift would not balance the load any more.

How do you guys do it for garage space? Between the kids bikes, two snow bikes, etc...there's no space left now.

B
Awesome that you got both of your kits. I will get mine Friday morning.

I'll be rolling my bike into my nice warm(er) basement for the teardown/build-up/install.

There was a post where someone had built a frame on the ground, a 4x4x4 at each end, with 2x4's that went the length of the bike and strapping on the ground to keep the entire thing square, then had eye bolts at the corners to strap the bike down to while on the stand.

If I don't do that, I will just ratchet strap my bike to the lift so it won't fall off while I'm working on it. I don't want my bike like RoboCop, on the ground with no arms and no legs.

Last edited:
M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The Camsos are made in Quebec, so it is only a day truck drive to my dealer in Ontario. It took 3 days from payment to delivery. Camso has been incredibly helpful with information, help etc...especially Stefane. These guys have their act together. The other manufactures better beware. If snow biking takes off, Camso will be the next BRP.

If anyone in Southern Ontario is looking, Flybyu Motors in Utterson (south of Huntsville) is the place to go. Great area for summer time trail riding as well. I know the woods like the back of my hand up there so I'm looking forward to pushing the envelope even more this winter. Derek and Nicole, the owners are keen to get into this segment of off road. He is selling Beta too. Almost bought a 430 RR when I saw how sexy they look! That will be next year if I can pawn the second XCW off on my middle son.:face-icon-small-win

B
The Camsos are made in Quebec, so it is only a day truck drive to my dealer in Ontario. It took 3 days from payment to delivery. Camso has been incredibly helpful with information, help etc...especially Stefane. These guys have their act together. The other manufactures better beware. If snow biking takes off, Camso will be the next BRP.

If anyone in Southern Ontario is looking, Flybyu Motors in Utterson (south of Huntsville) is the place to go. Great area for summer time trail riding as well. I know the woods like the back of my hand up there so I'm looking forward to pushing the envelope even more this winter. Derek and Nicole, the owners are keen to get into this segment of off road. He is selling Beta too. Almost bought a 430 RR when I saw how sexy they look! That will be next year if I can pawn the second XCW off on my middle son.:face-icon-small-win

I had no idea where Camso was but I'm now glad they are so close. Having read all the great reviews about the DTS 129, and the price, I had to have one. I'm so glad to be a part of Team Camso DTS 129. I hope they keep on doing well and I'm sure I'll be just a little bummed when they come out with a better DTS 129 but just like my 2004 Ski Doo Rev, they are now on the 3rd or 4th Gen of the sled so stuff just keeps getting better and better but I still think my Rev is just fine.

Last winter, around this time, I decided I needed to get the best 500cc dual sport bike I could get and Beta was my choice. The KTM 500 EXC and the Husky were the other choices but I'm glad I went Beta, the bike is fantastic in the woods and everywhere I've been riding. I've had a flawless 2,000 miles and 200 hours since this past 02/2017 and am looking forward to an awesome winter with the DTS 129.

I'm so glad I wanted and got a 500/477.5 cc motor, FI and E-start with a 200W output. I got a Baja Designs Squadron Pro headlight from MotoMinded so I'll have awesome light for night-riding. I'm psyched.

Last edited:
B
Thankfully, a stand was not needed. Once the front ski is on, coupled with the adjustable stand I had-for $50 used off Craiglist, I had no problem with stability or the bike falling off at all.

It does help to have another person(the wife), to help align the swingarm bolt back into the tunnel/bike and keep the bike on the stand though.

P1130164.jpg

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
WOW. FYI. Next time remove your upper shock bolt, break reservoir and pull the swing arm bolt. It stays as one unit.
Quicker and less parts to remember where they go.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
WOW. FYI. Next time remove your upper shock bolt, break reservoir and pull the swing arm bolt. It stays as one unit.

And further, you don't even need to pull the back wheel from the swingarm. That way it's less work and that heavy swingarm and shock have a built-in wheel so you can just roll the whole thing to the corner of your garage. :face-icon-small-hap

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
And further, you don't even need to pull the back wheel from the swingarm. That way it's less work and that heavy swingarm and shock have a built-in wheel so you can just roll the whole thing to the corner of your garage. :face-icon-small-hap

^^^^^^
I have two sets hanging from my garage ceiling.
Wheel, swingarm, brake, linkage, shock all in one.

B

Great suggestions, but for my situation, taking everything apart means that I have to grease and inspect everything over the winter as I'm just riding around in circles through the forests all year long so this is the one time the bike gets the maintenance it needs/deserves.

No doubt, though, that it would be quicker/faster taking everything from the top shock bolt/swingarm-back as all one unit, great tip!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I bought an adjustable bike stand from harbor freight as well as a small scissor jack married the two together now I have a stand that will easily lift 1500#s with fine adjustment. the jack came with a drill attachment so its super easy and fast . no pins ,levers etc all for less than 50.00

B
I bought an adjustable bike stand from harbor freight as well as a small scissor jack married the two together now I have a stand that will easily lift 1500#s with fine adjustment. the jack came with a drill attachment so its super easy and fast . no pins ,levers etc all for less than 50.00

Thankfully the track/tunnel slips right into place with not much fuss at all. Having the ability to raise or lower the bike sure does help a LOT though.

Premium Features