• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the issue with the airbox/air filter?

B
I have a DTS 129 kit on the way for my 2017 Beta 500 RR-S. It is FI. The kit will be here in about 2 weeks.

I have a regular old Twin Air air filter on the bike. What is the issue with the airbox/air filters?

Is it that snow gets into the airbox, then gets melted/sucked into the intake?

I'm up here in New England where the chances of big powder dumps are few and far between so deep snow is not really in issue at all.

If I seal up the box and just allow the air to be sucked in from under the seat, provided no snow gets in under the seat, will I be ok?

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
at a minimum put a filter sock over your air filter. fine snow mist can make it through the filter and cause issues with how the bike runs. if you ride in powder then you have to do something with the airbox. two problems if in powder. the airbox will plug with snow choking the engine. snow will melt and water will go down intake causing bogging. if in powder you have to keep snow out of the airbox.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The easiest is to remove the air-box and use a pod filter (not Oiled) with a filter skin over it. On the air-box you need to cover openings with frog skin to keep the snow dust out. The covered Camso kit should have less snow dust thrown up by the track than the open timber sleds, that should help.

B
The easiest is to remove the air-box and use a pod filter (not Oiled) with a filter skin over it. On the air-box you need to cover openings with frog skin to keep the snow dust out. The covered Camso kit should have less snow dust thrown up by the track than the open timber sleds, that should help.

Thanks a ton guys.

I will definitely be using a filter skin over my air filter as well as covering all the openings.

If I run my stock air filter, should I oil it or run it un-oiled?, with the filter skin over it.

I'm glad that the DTS 129 kit is better with regards to the snow dust issue(s).

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Run the air filter unoiled, with the filter skin. No need to go out and buy a pod intake. Run it, if it starts to plug with snow, dig the snow out and keep going. If its constantly plugging with snow, go buy a pod.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
From what I have heard, some bikes may need trimming of the air box to fit the Camso kit around the chain area. I have not installed mine yet but I plan to make a simple air intake out of PVC pipe and take the air box and filter off the 300 XCW completely. It should be straight forward to fashion a pod out of black drain pipe, drill it out for air passage and wrap some water repellent fabric around it (like the skins), then clamp it to the carb with some kid of rubber boot. That way nothing gets packed in the air box around the intake. There is no appreciable dust to consider in the snow.

Premium Features