• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I re-consider converting to Snowbike?

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Hey all,
I have a very low mile, low hour 2015 KTM 500 EXC that I bought this summer and rode a few times on single track trails before the bad weather hit.

I absolutely fell in love with this bike, its the best I've owned on single track and I've owned lots over my lifetime.

Last year, I bought a 2017 Camso DTS system in anticipation of converting to a snowbike one day.

Since I bought my KTM, I've been hanging out on the snowbiking pages of facebook and reading about all the carnage that occurs out in the back country with these bikes.

I guess ignorance WAS bliss, because I never realized how often folks needed bikes helicoptered and or towed out for break downs out in the hills.

Perhaps I didn't realize these conversions were so hard on machines??

Im 53, so I don't plan on doing any radical drop jumps, huge rev limiter pulls, or anything like that, but would sure like to combine my love for the snowy hills with my love for dirt bikes....been riding since I was 4 years old.

We have snowmobiles too that I ride with my wife all the time, but I get pretty bored with them pretty quick.

I guess maybe I'm looking for re-assurances that with proper prep and maintenance I'm not going to destroy my bike?

Am I over thinking this?

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Hey all,
I have a very low mile, low hour 2015 KTM 500 EXC that I bought this summer and rode a few times on single track trails before the bad weather hit.

I absolutely fell in love with this bike, its the best I've owned on single track and I've owned lots over my lifetime.

Last year, I bought a 2017 Camso DTS system in anticipation of converting to a snowbike one day.

Since I bought my KTM, I've been hanging out on the snowbiking pages of facebook and reading about all the carnage that occurs out in the back country with these bikes.

I guess ignorance WAS bliss, because I never realized how often folks needed bikes helicoptered and or towed out for break downs out in the hills.

Im 53, so I don't plan on doing any radical drop jumps, huge rev limiter pulls, or anything like that, but would sure like to combine my love for the snowy hills with my love for dirt bikes....been riding since I was 4 years old.

We have snowmobiles too that I ride with my wife all the time, but I get pretty bored with them pretty quick.

I guess maybe I'm looking for re-assurances that with proper prep and maintenance I'm not going to destroy my bike?

Am I over thinking this?
In my experience there is a direct correlation between user judgement/maturity and bike carnage

Ride it like you stole it in early season pow and you might find a few stumps.

On the flip side, if you save the hard riding for the establishment of a solid base, then you may find your bike lasting umpteen times longer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
If you maintain it and don't bounce it of the rev limiter it is fine... Bikes do break down but really anything does.... I have been at this a long time and you will be fine. Just as many snowmobiles will be blowing up

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Rev limiter pulls are a cost of doing business and are basically unavoidable if you ride in the mountains. Being on the rev limiter is hard on a motor no doubt about it. That said if you pick basic terrain the bike should last indefinitely. Problem is once you get the bug its hard to no want to give er. Plan on more preventative maintenance like top end, rod replacement etc. Its way cheaper than fixing the bike after you grenade it.

M5

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
We have hundreds of hours in the deep stuff and very few mechanical failures that you couldn't ride out (bearings or chains) which should probably have been changed out in the off season.

I've seen 1 squeaked piston on a turbo charged bike that we managed to tow out. I wouldn't obsess over it.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Hey all,

Am I over thinking this?

you are over thinking it.

if you are truly worried, then buy a cheaper MX 450 and you'll have more fun not worrying about your KTM!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
bikes do last

I ride the same bike with a TS 120 kit. Rock solid, never broke anything. In 6 years of riding a snowbike we have a few kit failures with the early kits, mostly bearings, so really maintainance issues before we figuredout how long we could ride before bearing replacements. New kits way way better.

Yam and Ktms in my riding group no bike failures. We have had a couple of guys get into the sport with $800 wore out 4 stroke 450s and a couple have come home on a rope. When they could see a future in the sport and bought newer bikes, nothing.

The horror stories I hear about breaking big pieces are inexperienced riders unfamiliar with SNOW. Broken bikes and kits from 50mph charges across a meadow with 6" of fluff at thanksgiving . Boulders and stumps are not your friend. If you trash snowmobiles weekly, you will trash snowbikes weekly. If you rode your 500 in the dirt without constant crashing, then riding your snowbike will be uneventful.

As you learn to snowbike, you may fall , but snow in the face is not the same as vicious road rash. The biggest change is realizing you don't ride with snowmobiles. You can't outrace them at 80mph, and they cannot follow you. 25 mph all day with a couple of bikes is ok. the 80 mph trail run back to the truck with sleds is a fools errand.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
had a buddy lose a bearing in an older TS kit (sounds like a common problem for the year). we had to tow it out with sleds and it was a PIA!

sounds like they fixed it on future models so it is less likely to happen.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Do it!!! You will not regret it. As stated above, the majority of breakdowns are rider-forced. I for one, do not ride my bike in the highest RPM range knowing that a 4-stroke has a limited life if ridden that way. My Yamaha stays in the meat of the powerband and I shift when needed. I've never been the WFO type of rider no matter what I was on so it's been easy to translate that into the snow bike world as well.

On a side note - make sure you do a proper warm up just like you would with your two stroke sled, even after short breaks and monitor your oil. Most of these bikes only use a quart at a time, so changing it often is relatively cheap insurance. I have run an engine cover on one side to help hold temperatures and use a thermobob and have not had issues with fuel or condensation getting in my oil.

Enjoy and be safe.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Most of the Engine issues were highly modified engines in our group anyway. Stock 450s have proven very reliable.

Now here is the real issue -- some guys are going out of there way to go into the stupidest places possible (even for bikes) trying to prove a point of snowbike superiority. I ride both and call bull****. You can go stupid places by sled or by bike it does not matter what you ride - poor choices are just that.That is where most of the snowbike Carnage happens. More often than not do we ride with mixed groups of bikes and sleds an it is less of an issue than people make it out to be.With the wide ratio on the 500 You will also have pretty good top end to cruise along with sleds just fine. Put it on go ride have fun.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Those KTM 500's are the most bomber bike of their kind, I wouldn't sweat it. Friend of mine has one with a TON of snowbike hours, all orginal motor and it never misses a beat. That motor is less strung out than a 450, and doesn't rev as high (doesn't need to, and just simply doesn't due to lower rev limiter). I work at a KTM dealer and so far we have never rebuilt a 500 for any reason. I saw one this year with over 500 hours on OEM top end in the hands of an expert level dirt rider (did valves but never a piston). And another with 28,000 MILES on it....uncracked OEM motor. That guy was riding around Australia, USA and Canada. Can't say Id recommend it, but it was damn impressive.

So in my opinion...if you want to give it a whirl, you DO have the toughest bike for it hands down. Run the expensive motorex stuff, change the oil on time and ride.

People get themselves in to all sorts of weird situations braking stuff on bikes and sleds in the snow....but it comes down to the rider. On the dirt it's more self regulating; keep crashing your brains out and its gonna hurt real quick and real bad. The snow gives you more opportunity for crashes that don't hurt much, but still break stuff....allows guys riding over their head to keep riding much longer, break more stuff and post about it on the net. But reasonable guys aren't racking up parts at an obscene rate. That all said, running anything on the snow costs more than dirtbike upkeep IMO. More fuel, more oil, longer days, more moving parts, more wear on suspension, more everything.

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I've had my KTM 500 for 3 years now, takes me 2.5 hrs to swap and never regret it. I ride single track in summer and hit the pow in the winter. I've never had a breakdown or problems. I think you're over thinking it. swap and have a blast

Y

yamboosta

Dec 5, 2007
Sedro-Woolley
I have 2, a 500 and a 590bb.it is amazing how much abuse they take. Mine spend a lot of time on the rev limiter. Just keep your oil clean and fresh. No fuel in case. cr

B
I'm going to be converting my 2017 Beta 500 RR-S to the Camso DTS 129 kit for the winter.

I know 100% that snowbiking is going to be NO stress to the bike compared to the dirt riding I do. I'm just hoping that during the swaps I don't damage anything otherwise, the bike going through the snow is going to be a lot easier on the bike than the pounding it is given off-road.

I'll almost never be going riding alone so I'll always have a tow back to the trailer/house.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Just purchased two Camso kits this week for our two 300 XCWs - should arrive in a week or so. No buyers remorse so far.

Generally, in the winter, plastics do break more easily. I broke a set of plastic hand guards on my first ever snow bike ride last year, in the parking lot of the rental outfit in Revelstoke, before even heading up the trail. It would be a good idea to use some older blemished fenders and rad shrouds if you have them. Keep the nice softy polypropylene for warmer riding.

I think one should only convert to snow biking if you are simply finding it too hard to resist.:)

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I think one should only convert to snow biking if you are simply finding it too hard to resist.:)

Yes, this is me indeed.

I've resisted for a long time, but I'm not getting any younger and believe its time to combine my love of motorcycles with my love of getting out in the back country when its at its snowy finest!!

I just have to get this out of my system!! :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features