• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

We can rebuild her... oh wait, WE JUST DID!!!!!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
BIG THANKS goes out to my friend Mark - SLEDDUDE - for helping me today put a new top end on my 05 900 166 with 4,780 total miles on it. For the complete back-story, please check out these threads here.....

Stripped head bolt

Time to rebuild it!

We tore the motor down this morning in the sled... it was so nice not having to dismantle the entire sled for this task as is necessary on the 06 models. Everything went very smooth and there weren't any problems with the process, but we did get a BIG surprise when we opened her up! As you recall the ONLY reason I decided to tear it down was for the coolant leak, otherwise my original plan was to run it 1 more season before doing a top end job. Boy am I glad we opened it up at 2,700 miles instead of waiting for 3,000 or more!!!!!

I have a 'deal' that I have made with my 900---- "If you treat me good, I will treat you good"---- never has that been more true than in the following picture, my 900 sure did treat me good holding together for me over the last 4 seasons that I have owned her, I'm glad that I timed it just right in showing her some 'love', lol.

MAG piston....

100_1550_zpsab58115c.jpg

The piston is cracked all the way to the bottom of the lower ring land all the way through... you can see daylight through the bottom portion when you hold it to the light!!!:eek::eek:

PTO piston looked just fine and both cylinders looked to be in great shape aside from my 1 stripped thread.... No scoring or cracks on either cylinder.

Getting the new pistons in and the newer cylinders installed. Install was done with all brand new gaskets everywhere.

100_1554_zps14725241.jpg

We cleaned all the old loc-tite off the head bolts and installed them with new loc-tite and torqued to spec. VERY GLAD to say ALL bolts torqued to spec without any problems!!!!!

100_1555_zps2692643a.jpg

100_1556_zpsae6dba88.jpg

Lastly we completed the rebuild with fresh exhaust gaskets sandwiched with copper high-temp gasket maker and then refilled the coolant and elevated the front before firing the sled up. I'm glad to say it started on the 3rd pull and after smoking like a locomotive from all the oil we squirted everywhere, we burped the coolant system and put her back in the garage to await next season.

100_1557_zps36b715ac.jpg

All that's left to do in the fall is put in a fresh fuel filter, primary and secondary clutch springs, change the chaincase oil, and mix a quart of oil in the gas for the first ride. I know the injection is set at 28:1 already, but I want those suckers drenched in oil for break in!!!

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Rebuild

Glad we got it rebuilt before it decided to grenade.

I'd ask you to take it on a test drive but that didn't go to well on your 700 last weekend...

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Amazing what these engines will endure....wonder what a little more effort on polaris's part could have produced.??

It truly is a shame Polaris GAVE UP on this engine... It has been PROVEN that the 900 can be made a reliable motor with nothing more than STOCK parts. A little more refinement and attention to setup was all that was needed. Imagine what the 900 CFI in the 100lb lighter PRO chassis would be capable of!!!

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
It truly is a shame Polaris GAVE UP on this engine... It has been PROVEN that the 900 can be made a reliable motor with nothing more than STOCK parts. A little more refinement and attention to setup was all that was needed. Imagine what the 900 CFI in the 100lb lighter PRO chassis would be capable of!!!

Back in 2010, when I was still riding my 9, I went on a demo ride for the new Pros. After the ride, a few of us, including some Polaris engineers were sitting in the lounge enjoying a few "refreshments". I got talking to one engineer about my nine and he said in his opinion, that the 900 is the best sled engine Polaris ever built. He said that he told the powers that be that this engine just needs more refinement. I couldn't agree more. My 9 was a very reliable torque monster and I still miss that engine. I love my Pro, but I really miss the shoulder-wrenching torque of my 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Premium Features