• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'94 XLT engine cuts out when hitting snow drifts

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
My wifes XLT runs great but busting powder just kills it, literally. If I hit a snow bank and it comes over the windscreen the engine cuts out and usually dies. I assume this is from snow ingestion. What's the hot tip for fixing this? Drill a hole in the dash and put a mount on that'll take a Uni filter with a dust sock on it?

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Found a post further down the page that lists using some later model stock Polaris parts, but the foam and housing are NLA from Polaris. I'm thinking making a plastic flange on my lather and riveting it to the dash, along with sealing the cover piece would be the ticket.

Uni has one of their universal fit filters with 3" ID, 4" OD, 6" length, specifically listed as for snowmobiles (foam is coarser than what you'd use on a dirt bike). That should be big enough to handle an XLT I'd think which is basically three 200cc cylinders.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Common problem on the wedge chassis. You can fab a replacement for the foam between the air box and hood. You can also seal around that plate that covers the air intake and cut a hole in it to allow it to breathe. You can put a SLP 3 inch flow rite in it or get creative and build and short snorkel. If you make the snorkel bend 90 degrees rearward the snow will not lay on it. Use black ABS drain pipe fittings. SLP also sells that fine mesh that they use on their flow rites and you can attach it to your snorkel.
Or as you suggest go straight up and put a Uni Filter on it.
Just make sure you seal it up and your issue will go away.

Premium Features