• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy 340

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
Duck,
full clip? lug size? track size...

Might be going a different direction now....yeah i know...LOL

wife and I are currently discussing the following:

by MT law, as long as the youngest passes an online course, and stays within eye shot of an adualt (physically 18, maturity has nothing to do with it....I asked) she can ride her own sled....so now we are talking about just putting her on the 91 after I upgrade the brakes

and fixing the 89 for my son....new track is a must, and its an easier one to find in stock...15x121 with 2.52 drivers...still in the air about extending it, but with a bigger lug track than stock i dont think it will be as nessecary.
so other than the seat covers, track and brake upgrade, the rest is just labor on my part to get them done....and we no longer hafta double anyone

wife and I agree on not spending to much on this projects, as we need to save some money, and yes, we discuss anything over a couple hundred bucks

expect pics around early august of both sleds

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
duck,

I dont have a phone over here....but you can PM me

what all does it take to put a 1.5 track under the 87-89 340 sport?
if its just drivers and the track, then ill be ok, but i dont want to have to D&R the chaincase or anything crazy
I'm looking to go quik and painless...LOL

gonna leave the 91 alone for the youngest, except some ski's

but I'm gonna fix the sport for the son....so an XLT hood will get repainted and put on along with a new seat cover, new ski's and a better track

next winter is going to be awesome!

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
Speaking only of Lites with chaincases: We used Polaris brake systems from the early 90's on one and the brakes from a 97 era Indy on the other. The hydraulic caliper mount has the same bolt pattern as the mechanical caliper mount atop the chaincase. Not sure if this is feasible on the direct drives.
550iq

thanks

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
from what ive found out, you can squeeze an 1.5" in without any real modifications........unless its a 90-91 indy lite...those years had goofy drivers, an oddball track and a direct drive

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
As soon as you said it was a 1991 I knew you were in trouble. I bought one of those for my daughter from a good friend for the same price $200, just because it had a bad track. I thought no problem I would just long track it and call it good LOL. With out doing a lot of modds to them that direct drive has us screwed. I finally found a sled shop that sold me new drivers and a new 121" track. Got it back togather and it does fine down on the flats not even going to atempt to go to the mts with it

S
Yeah, the direct drive on that motor doesn't have the torque down low. We also had a 340 ovation and that thing had way more snap off the line. The direct drive makes for good top end though, every race had the indy lite pull up and pull away just at the end.

Had a lot of those races as a kid. :)

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got the youngest sled tuned up, new seat cover on and running like a dream....only to find the steering post is rusted stuck......so i had to tear all apart to get it out...its soaking in oil, and will hopefully free up with alittle work

if not its gonna be hard...no one makes a replacement, and an origonal is almost impossble....might have to buy one off a newer sled and adapt it to work

havent even started on the 87 sport yet, as im still waiting for body parts to get painted and come back

but i got all the goodys on the wifes 600 HO...so shes at least happy...LOL

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Still thinking on a track for my Indy Lite. I have a take off track from an old '93 XLT that I might buy a tire groover to square up the lugs on, then put a small diameter port job on the flats of the track to decrease rolling resistance.

This style stock track had a 45° leading edge on the lug but squared off on the back for braking. I'm thinking of squaring up the front to give it more forward bite but still allow the little motor to spin it.

I know this won't give a large lug performance upgrade, but the track would be lighter, more flexible and hopefully have a bit more bite for the whopping 34 Hp.

Comments?

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
sounds good, although your planning on more work than i would do

just a stock 136 track off an XLT will allow the little buggers to get into places they shouldnt...these sleds are light..as is i can remember my brother following the old man everywhere on the hill on his 7 with this sled...not so sure i wanna long track it now...LOL

almost got the 91 lite done...lost the steering post bushing so im waiting on it to come in......old steering shaft was siezed, so i got a take out of a 93, and cut off the upper bracket...works good for now, will be alot better with thte bushing in

the 87 sport is STILL waiting on the new body parts to come back from the painter.......lesson learned
1 do not pay full in advance
2 dont hire your brothers brother in law

I did figure out it has an aftermarket front end, with SLP untra lite ski's though, so now i have an extra set of grippers for when i need them

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I do have a stock 133.5" SKS track off my '93 440 LC SKS (.6" lug), plus an RMK tunnel extension for a 136 that I could put on. I would just need to find some 133 rails that would fit this suspension. The track only has 1000 miles on it with no damage. Still thinking I guess.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I got a screaming deal on a 136x15x1.25 with about 100 miles on it. I have the tunnel and rail extensions already, so I'll probably pick up a bumper at Puyallup next month and be set. It may look funny when I'm done, but I bet it goes ok.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
So what became of the drive axle pitch issue? Regular Indy axle? We stuffed a 136 into a Starlite years ago, looked way better than any Pro will ever look. 550iq

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My 340 is a '94 with the standard for the time 2.52" pitch. My newly purchased 136 is off a 550 RMK also with the 2.52" pitch so that should not be an issue. I have paint stripper on my '99 136" tunnel extension to get down to bare aluminum like the tunnel on my 340.

Premium Features