• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt squeal

W
Jan 11, 2009
Bend
My friend has an m8, put the carlisle xs belt on, it squeals on idle. I blew a belt on my M7, and put an xs on it, and it squeals on idle. Is this a trait of this belt? It is rather embaressing.

W
Jan 11, 2009
Bend
It kills me that so many guys don't know the very simplest maintenance things.......

Belt deflection is not covered in the owner's manual (which has more maint info than any I've seen.) I have changed a few belts on past sleds (this is my first Arctic Cat) and have never had to adjust anything.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Belt deflection is not covered in the owner's manual (which has more maint info than any I've seen.) I have changed a few belts on past sleds (this is my first Arctic Cat) and have never had to adjust anything.

I have to adjust mine every 3-4 rides, or as the belt wears.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
So, wire4 money we need to know what sled and clutch system to have to help you. Squealing belts at ide means the inside of the belt is rubbing on the center of your drive clutch so hard its starting getting sticky and starts squaling sound.

So you need to loosen your belt, done by making the distance bewteen your secondary sheaves wider apart. So add a shim on the old cats, adjust on the DD, and on real old cats buy a longer belt.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
I've found the carlisle xs belt sits higher on the secondary making it sit in the primary deeper and creating the squeal. Just like the others said add a shim to the secondary, get an arctic cat belt or get used to the squeal.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I adjust my deflection so that the track slightly turns on a track stand, have run like that for 1500 miles. 1200 miles on first belt and decided to change it out. It sqeals at idle sometimes after a couple wide open pulls, but I'v always ignored it.

Premium Features