• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chain saws?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Im going to the local stihl dealer tommorow going to buy a trimmer and a chain saw. I don't need a super expensive one thinking just an occasional use one. Would cut maybe a cord of wood a year just for fires outside at home and out camping. Don't plan on heating with it. What would be a good relieable saw. Not looking for a cheap piece of junk. I want a 16-18" bar. Also what do you guys use to to mount them to your atvs with you anybody does pictures would be great too.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you can;t go wrong buying a stihl..i have a little 180...chainsaw mounts you can view from kimpex or parts usa etc..moose brand and many more

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
for stihls, dont even bother touching anything in the 200 series for what you want to do. a 180 would kick arse.. little, plenty capable, and cheapish.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Ok what is the difference between the 100 series and the 200 series? What about the difference in the occasional use vs mid use saws with the same power and bar size?

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
saw

pic just for fun:face-icon-small-win stihl saws are the way to go.Ms390 will be a good saw to pack on 4 wheeler,and will do your fire wood cutting.But if your doing anything more than a cord a year look into the Professional saws like a 440.

808hot_saw.jpg

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I think im considering the ms181 to get the 16" bar. I have a electric remington 16" right know i just got and it is a piece a junk so im going to take it back and just get the stihl heck with it. I had to carry my small honda 2000 genny with me when cutting wood then too.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I run a 260 pro, but I drag it around a lot to cut firewood, clear roads with downed crap, have bonfires. Its not the largest saw ever, but IMO, for what your doing, your not making money with it, so no sense dumping money into a huge arse saw to run at 1/4 throttle all the time.

the 181 sounds like a nice deal.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have the old 036 had it for years with no repairs what so ever. very good weight to power. i saw 50 to 75 cords of fir and larch a year with it. Has been the best for me.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I love my Stihl MS250. I'm left handed and found that Stihl saws were also the most comfortable for me. Seriously, it makes a big difference for safety and ease of use.

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
I suggest that for Hard general use go with a 200 series Stihl. I grew up logging (family had a large sawmill) and have run mostly Stihl saws. I finally retired my OLD 044 and bought a new 440 with a 28" bar on it a few years ago and run the snot out of it. My only suggestion is to make sure you buy a model that will run the PD3 chain as it is the BEST chain I have ever run. It lasts a lot longer, plunge cuts easy, and cuts through trash wood/ roots/dirt/etc... without trashing the chain out and does not kick back nearly as much. The only saw I have ever run that I thought was a better saw than a Stihl was a Jonsered Turbo saw and they were great saws but the price difference was considerable.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I grew up around chainsaws a bit also as we used to heat our house each year exclusively by wood. My Dad had an old 084 with a 28" bar for the basic stuff, but had about 5 other bars ranging up to a monster 50":eek:... that saw was aswesome and we still have it, just dont use it much as we don't have a wood-burning fireplace in this house. We used to cut easily 10 cords per year for heat, plus any trimming duties with it and it is still a power to be reckoned with:D

Updated to a smaller 036 about 10 years ago that had an 18" bar on it and that saw has been awesome as well.... it gets more use now for the smaller needs. Definitely can't go wrong with Stihl... the new numbers confuse the hell outta me, not gonna lie... but when the saws we have last as good as they have, that says something in itself.:beer;

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I cut logs for many yrs for most of the big helicopter companies, I used all husky 272, 288, 394, then the new 371, 372, 395. Had very good luck with them all but, for all around use I would go with the new Farm boss, hard to beat that saw. I'm like Fordguy the new #s are a ? to me, have been out of the bizz for many yrs. just casual use now, and the stihl is hard to beat.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I have a ms180 for camping and carry it on the wheeler. For it's size it works great for carring on the wheeler, cutting firewood for camp, or clearing trails.

It's almost always on the back of the wheeler. I do pack extra fuel and oil because one thing it doesn't do very well is run very long on a tank of fuel.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
About half that I would say with continuous cutting of 6"-12" trees. If you run the saw thru a tank of fuel without taking a break it will be ready to be cooled off before reusing. I've tried to run a couple tanks in a row but the saw gets hot about half way thru the second tank.

I carry a couple small aluminum fuel bottles on the four wheeler (fuel bottles found in the camping section of sporting goods stores and used by back packers for stove fuel, etc..). One for fuel and the other for oil and they are easy to carry and provide a couple more tanks of fuel and oil.

Premium Features