• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

not liking my 18

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Came off a 17 axys with raptor shocks and stock motor, but had a turbo for the last few rides. took a few rides to come to the realization that a turbo is a waste of money imo. Before that was a pro ride chassis for a few years.

Now the 18 m8000 SE with the coil shocks, and 2.6 track. Only got to ride it this last weekend in 20 inches of fresh. First half day was fresh dry pow, then turned to wetter heavy snow then to concrete.

So I am struggling liking this sled and feel like the little things can be fixed but right now I can not stand it. The running board width, seriously I have size 13 boots and this feels ridiculous, the seat even bows my legs out making my knees hurt to keep my feet on boards.

How do people ride without a sway bar? I don't know if this was it, but felt really hard to side hill. The sled always wanted to trench, can't imagine the 2.6 is that bad of a track.

I honestly don't even know what all my gripes are but I just wasn't having it. Was wishing I kept my axys all day.

Anything I can do to enhance this thing. Under $1000 total. My whole point of buying this used one was to sell my $18k turbod sled for a under $8k reliable sled since I only get out a few trips a year now.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I rode a 17pro and 18cat same day, swapping back and forth most of the day.
The cat was better in every condition, especially sidehilling.

Maybe the SE package sucks?
Never rode one.

Shock adjustments can make or break the way a sled handles.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Did you play with the suspension at all? Or just ride it as it is? You have a fair bit of adjustability there.. you can drastically change for the worse and better how the sled reacts and handles. I'd say read up and make small adjustments. Never two at the same time.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
1. Cut the single fingers off the 2.6 track so that it emulates the layout of the 3"
I ride in mank all the time being on the west coast and the more open design works better

2. Send your front coils to andy at gas shock repair (gasshockrepair.com)
I have a 2016 with evols and prefer the revalved coils. I even bought the very shocks you have from arctic cat. They're just fox zero pros. His revalves are cheap.

3. Put an air shock on the rear track shock. These rears are designed for air and all the ramp up that comes with them.

Like you, I do prefer the polaris seats. But at 5'8" I don't feel the stock seat is that big of a deal.

That said, I'll probably end up with one of the low profile seats from boss at some point. Those things look awesome.

Don't know what to tell you on the running boards. I hate the stock ones too but not because they're too narrow. Buying some aftermarket tube style boards would at least give you enough traction that you probably won't care anymore, just standing on the outside.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
better skis make these much more enjoyable to ride. you might be missing th feel of the pro taper bars too.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Came off a 17 axys with raptor shocks and stock motor, but had a turbo for the last few rides. took a few rides to come to the realization that a turbo is a waste of money imo. Before that was a pro ride chassis for a few years.

Now the 18 m8000 SE with the coil shocks, and 2.6 track. Only got to ride it this last weekend in 20 inches of fresh. First half day was fresh dry pow, then turned to wetter heavy snow then to concrete.

So I am struggling liking this sled and feel like the little things can be fixed but right now I can not stand it. The running board width, seriously I have size 13 boots and this feels ridiculous, the seat even bows my legs out making my knees hurt to keep my feet on boards.

How do people ride without a sway bar? I don't know if this was it, but felt really hard to side hill. The sled always wanted to trench, can't imagine the 2.6 is that bad of a track.

I honestly don't even know what all my gripes are but I just wasn't having it. Was wishing I kept my axys all day.

Anything I can do to enhance this thing. Under $1000 total. My whole point of buying this used one was to sell my $18k turbod sled for a under $8k reliable sled since I only get out a few trips a year now.

Fawk the green bleeders!! And thank you for a honest post. Too many guys just follow the hype and pray and dream the sled is as good as OTHERS SAY It is. Then when it falls short, they just sink more money into it with skis and boards and pipes and cans and bla bla bla. We need more reviews like yours. I’m not saying for one second that the 18 cat is junk. But this review is priceless to a guy on a axys that’s thinking of a cat. Everything you mentioned, everyone notices. If they don’t, they’re not riding much of anything.

better skis make these much more enjoyable to ride. you might be missing th feel of the pro taper bars too.
. Is it just pride holding them back from copying a gripper or powder pro!? Seriously!

1. Cut the single fingers off the 2.6 track so that it emulates the layout of the 3"
I ride in mank all the time being on the west coast and the more open design works better

2. Send your front coils to andy at gas shock repair (gasshockrepair.com)
I have a 2016 with evols and prefer the revalved coils. I even bought the very shocks you have from arctic cat. They're just fox zero pros. His revalves are cheap.

3. Put an air shock on the rear track shock. These rears are designed for air and all the ramp up that comes with them.

Like you, I do prefer the polaris seats. But at 5'8" I don't feel the stock seat is that big of a deal.

That said, I'll probably end up with one of the low profile seats from boss at some point. Those things look awesome.

Don't know what to tell you on the running boards. I hate the stock ones too but not because they're too narrow. Buying some aftermarket tube style boards would at least give you enough traction that you probably won't care anymore, just standing on the outside.

^^^ he knows what he’s talking about. Andy’s revalve will help a lot! And he has great prices.

Cat has a pretty strong tunnel and I like that. Just try and find a lo pro seat that you like the feel of.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
. Is it just pride holding them back from copying a gripper or powder pro!? Seriously!

my guess is overstock of the cappy "new" 16 skis. i think they took note of the gripper more for '19 in the keel but i still hate the wide tip design.
and green bleeders for a reason, set it up right and beat on it for a season and report back.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

Oh god yes.

that

It's such a given in my mind I honestly didn't even think of it. Definitely that.

I think they honestly tried to copy the grippers. The ones that came on my 16 are almost an identical shape. They screwed up the keel, the flex and some other things though. I don't think they really went out and tried to figure out what makes the grippers good. There's only so much you can do in minnesota with occasional trips to the usual tourist spots in WY for a mountain ski.

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Ya all in all I think it is a pretty good sled. I still think I will always prefer my axys with raptor shocks but I am pretty confident I can get this m8 right there with it. I knew I only had 2 days of riding and the conditions of the snow were changing from pow to wet to concrete than back to ice in the AM. So there wasn't too much of a point to suspension tuning, more just run what I got and go from there.

Changes:

Gripper skis, the stock cat ones felt too narrow and odd on a side hill mainly.

Handle bars might be part of it too. Way different height, probably get used to stock I imagine. (btw I am 6ft 175lbs)

Not sure what to do on the running boards, seriously the width of it feels too narrow for my boot, I don't remember my buddies 16 m8 feeling that way? Suggestions please, more so the width not the actual traction I am concerned with.

Might look into shock valving, otherwise set up might be enough. Feel like I need to ride in normal winter conditions to know for sure.

Am I going to get used to the no sway bar thing? And is the 2.6 track pretty good in normal conditions. I loved the 2.6 on the axys, minus it falling apart!

The front end feels like a tank. Trying to roll this thing, move it, get un stuck, etc feels twice is bad as the axys, why!!!!! Plan on a quiet can and nothing further for weight/power.

Things I like:

Power felt pretty smooth, didn't feel amazing but just a touch below my buddies ski doo 850. Feel like the snow was too heavy to turn fast and I was at 11k feet instead of the 8k I am used too. Felt about where I expected from coming off a turbo.

It seems constructed pretty well.

Felt good in meadow type riding carving and all that

The fact I paid $5600 and it ran great even with 3100 miles.

I feel like it will be good for jumping.

The a arm set up feels sturdy compared to stock axys.

So all in all for under $7k I think I will have a solid sled. Everything looks brand new, motor has great compression, track looks new, clutches maintained (was rental). This thing really was taking well care of. Thinking of stretching it to 4k miles before top end, currently has 3270 miles.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have cats and Polaris sleds. The one thing that screws me up everytime I switch from one to the other is the feel of the bars. For some reason the Polaris bars just feel better, more solid, more controllable. I think it’s a mind trick. The gripper ski will help some. What width was the front end on your axys? What width you have the cat set to?

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I really did not like my mountain cat. It would fall over trying to do simple turns at low speed, fall over while trying to side hill. Front would shoot up out of powder while wide open. I messed with shock pressures a bit to try to help.
Then one day I hopped on it for the 7th ride and I just loved it.. I listened to what the sled needed. It can't be riden like my 14 proclimb. That's why I struggled to turn and side hill. I rarely ever position my body to one side of this machine. Not even during the longest side hill through rough trenches. This sled is unreal and the power band is very much enjoyable.

It took over 200 miles for me to understand what the sled needed me to do in order to go where I wanted. I upgraded (if you could call it that) to the pro mountain boards and at times I struggled with them being too narrow. But easily manageable.

Don't give up on this chassis. It is a winner of your willing to do your do diligence.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Might look into shock valving, otherwise set up might be enough. Feel like I need to ride in normal winter conditions to know for sure.

There is no 'setup' with the shocks you have other than preload. That's why I mentioned the revalve.

but yeah I agree, you should certainly get a few more days in on it before you go throwing money at problems you haven't fully identified yet.

But some of your sidehill comments are the skis. No question.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Not sure what to do on the running boards, seriously the width of it feels too narrow for my boot, I don't remember my buddies 16 m8 feeling that way? Suggestions please, more so the width not the actual traction I am concerned with.

16 boards are 1 inch wider. The 17 Mountain Cat and all 18s have the narrower boards (part of the Ascender platform).

It's pretty tough comparing a cheap factory coil-over to raptors. May want to invest in raptors or upgrade to fox floats or coils. Suspension setup is key and most the advice on here will be centered around the fox floats!!!!!

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
oh, its ridden in high western mountains, not ditch bangin... shoulda got a mountaincat. i think my 17 is lighter than yours and has a 3", a pretty big improvement on these in the mountains compared to the heavier 2.6 track. polaris 2.6s are lighter i believe, cats are different.
seems like perfect candidate for alpha conversion here.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Keep in mind that if you were to go to a tube board you wouldnt have the lip on the outside of the board and they would feel wider. I would look at grippers and a shock revalve for the handling, both should be cheap enough and improve the overall feel I would think.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Another vote for some shock TLC, even if the valving is OK on them, at 3k+ miles the oil is probably trash and nitrogen is bled way down. This turns them more into pogo sticks then shocks which really doesnt help anyone. Coming off an axys with high end shocks going to clapped out zero pro's is like getting out of a brand new truck into a 1980 1 ton. I have Elka's on my axys and getting on mtn cats is OK, sno pros kinda suck, i cant imagine what an SE with that kinda miles feel like.

As for the cats overall handling, it definitely is just NOT as nimble as an axys hands down, the belly pan sits almost 2" lower to the snow and the overall CG is lower. As well as significantly more rotating mass making it less "snappy" feeling.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Cats suck it wet heavy snow

I just jumped ship from Ski-Doo to CAT for my mountain sled. this would not have happened if my buddy didn't have me ride his cat off and on all throughout the year. The day of the Alpha1 demo ride the snow was wet and heavy. Thouse cat front ends blow they collect so much snow compared to my 850 or a Polaris. I can jump on the 18 cat and ride it very well in powder or spring snow without really being completely comfortable on it. Deep wet snow I suck on the thing and the diehard Kitty guys will argue till you tell them something you like about the Cats haha. My buddy can ride the hell out of the cat in all conditions. Till you get comfortable on it ride it more OTP keep skis light it will suck in deep wet heavy snow and lock the skis up. All other conditions I love the cat. That Alpha1 power and no rearskid snow build up will be fun to learn how to ride next year. Give the sled another shot don't listen to any1 on the internet including me. Life's to short ride what you like if it doesn't work for you buy a Polaris 850. Don't spend a bunch of money on a sled you don't like.

Premium Features