• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setting Up My 06 SB Gearing/Clutching

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Ok...

I mainly ride trails and off trail when I can. Usually make trips to MI and WI.

I live in IL and we just dont get enough snow to ride around here.

(but maybe this year will be different !!:face-icon-small-coo)

So I dont get to test and tune....I want the sled to be ready to roll after I drive 5hrs to find snow!!

So here is what I am thinking...

Gearing:
drop one tooth on the top gear to 24T

Secondary:
66/44 Helix, Delrin Washer, Red/Black Spring

Primary:
70G weights
Stock Spring

How does this sound to all you guys that have more experience than me...??

Also... Would this be the correct helix: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Second...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4854635be9&vxp=mtr

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Not sure on yr gearing since I mainly ride deep mountain..

As for the secondary spring, I would go stiffer then the red/black spring...at a minimum i would go red/pink...otherwise I would do black/white as my #1

As for the helix, you have the numbers correct, but NOT that one in the link, that is NOT an ER..(electronic reverse) make sure you get one that has ER after the number or you will not be backing up your sled

Good luck

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Well Im not an expert on cluthcing...This is all good information.

From what Ive read on these sleds is that stock cluthing isnt the best.

I just picked up this sled a couple of months ago. So I havent ridden it yet.

Im just trying to change a few things that Ive read will help its performance.

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
My setup for UPofMI, and WI:

10-76
Polaris Blue 120 - 300

66-44-42
TEAM Red/Black 140 - 240

115 Belt

24/40 gearing

Tach recall is 7800, I can watch 7700 - 7750 as I accelerate.

A few things:
I didn't like the TEAM Black/White, as it raised trail/cruising RPM too much. Top speed with the Black/White setup was 109, and top speed of the Red/Black setup was 103...this tells me the belt may be slipping at higher speeds. I have no experience with the TEAM Red/Pink, but this may be a very good spring to play around with. When doing some serious boondocking, when reversing, my secondary sucks into the forward track on the 420719 helix. You may be able to have the reverse track machined out a little bit more... I think danduvall did this.

I'd like to try some 10-78's for my max RPM issue, and maybe go back to the Polaris Blue/White(120/310) primary spring... Eventually, I'd like to start playing around with the 11 series weights, they were designed for the high torque Polaris engines. The only issue is that the primary needs to be shimmed for the 11 series, as they have a "fatter" low-engagement profile.

I hope this helps!!!

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
This is what im running flatland trail riding on my 06 fusion 144

mtx 78 grams
black/green spring

66/44/46 helix
red /pink spring next will be black/white
derlin washers

stock fusion gears
819 belt

and im running around 7800 hard to the bar ,works the best of anything ive tried so far!

Aug 12, 2013
IL
Thanks! Thats all good information.

I think finding the helix is going to be the hard part.... Would really like to find a good used one.

Premium Features