• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 won't start

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Started the sleds today to keep the motors lubed and my dads 06 900 won't start. Ran great last winter and the handful of times I started it over the summer. It gets hard to pull over and backfires now and then but never attempts to run. Pulled the plugs and both are wet but the PTO side is dripping. Tried new ones with same result. What could have gone wrong sitting in the garage? What should I check first?

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Is the oil level in the reservoir the same as when you parked it?
My 06 700 did this and filled the crank full of oil..
I'm not sure? Didn't take notice to where it was at when it was parked but it is down to just above where the line goes down to the crankcase. I filled it up and will be keeping an eye on it. I got it going but am at a loss as to what was wrong. I pulled the plugs and checked spark, good spark on both plugs, still wouldn't start. Disconnected all kill switches and it fired up. Don't the kill switches kill the spark?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Mine had a check valve/seal where it lubed the crank under the oiler.
My oil would drain off up that same line.
It would start, but hard and run doggy, as soon as it drained past that point it ran better....as good as a sled would run with a crankcase full of oil.

Not sure if thats your issue, but thought Id throw that out.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Mine had a check valve/seal where it lubed the crank under the oiler.
My oil would drain off up that same line.
It would start, but hard and run doggy, as soon as it drained past that point it ran better....as good as a sled would run with a crankcase full of oil.

Not sure if thats your issue, but thought Id throw that out.
I'm hoping that it's nothing like that but it very well could be or even the center crank seal. I don't know much about this engine since I just bought it off of a member on here and installed in the sled. Other than the rough start today it has been flawless. I will just have to keep an eye on the oil level. If it is draining into the crankcase, what damage could be done?

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
If it is the center crank seal, how long will it take for the oil level to drop, haven't noticed any yet. If the oil pump is stuck open a little bit could it be draining oil into the motor. When I put this motor in I was kinda in a rush and used the old throttle cable with the oil pump cable because I didn't have time to wait for the one I ordered.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
I'm not sure? Didn't take notice to where it was at when it was parked but it is down to just above where the line goes down to the crankcase. I filled it up and will be keeping an eye on it. I got it going but am at a loss as to what was wrong. I pulled the plugs and checked spark, good spark on both plugs, still wouldn't start. Disconnected all kill switches and it fired up. Don't the kill switches kill the spark?

That sounds like an electrical problem ^^^^^^^
disconnect and see if it will start? reconnect kills it?

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
After you check the wires on the bars for any shorts you might want to check the fuel pump to make sure it is working as well. Then get ready to buy a new stator.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
That sounds like an electrical problem ^^^^^^^
disconnect and see if it will start? reconnect kills it?
Sled runs with everything connected so I don't think it is an electrical issue, just a coincidence, I think my problem is that it may have been flooded with oil?

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho

Mine did this right be for the stator went out. The stator comes lose then it finely breaks one of the wires. Then its dead need to pull it back home. This is very common on these sleds. The good dealers know the fix for this.

Premium Features